Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Could it be wheel bearings ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gbf

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Could it be wheel bearings ???

I've noticed a noise on my disco 3 which I can only liken to driving slowly over rumble band - a sort of thud thud, I can also feel slight vibration underfoot too. It starts at just before 30mph and is heard more noticeably when taking foot off the accelerator.

Any advice please as if its an expensive job, I may trade car in Sad

Post #193172430th Mar 2018 1:47 pm
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How about a bit more info. Like car age , mileage.etc. There is a lot of info on here about failing wheel bearings go do a search. Look at rear prop shaft centre bearing failure but you got give us a bit more to go on.!
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #193173230th Mar 2018 2:10 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I think you'll struggle to get a diagnosis of this over the internet. Best thing to do is to take it to a shop and get them to put it on a lift for you and run the car. If your wheel bearing is going it'll be obvious when you put your ear to the wheel.

Changing the bearing is a pain in the Censored . Completely. It's not that it's technically difficult, it's just that the hubs can be an utter Censored to get off. If you're not used to working on cars, I'd strongly suggest you pay a shop. With the right tools it's not a long or expensive job. You can supply the bearing yourself to reduce costs and make sure you get a good one. Only go for the Timken bearing. Lots of info on the site about bearings and a 'how to' in the wiki if you want to try it. LRDirect seem to be the cheapest for parts. At least that's who I've used (because they ship to the US).

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure out the noise on the 'net. You'll never get the certainty you need.
 PAGODA  
Post #193174530th Mar 2018 2:28 pm
gbf

john watson wrote:
How about a bit more info. Like car age , mileage.etc. There is a lot of info on here about failing wheel bearings go do a search. Look at rear prop shaft centre bearing failure but you got give us a bit more to go on.!

Sorry, its a 2007 HSE and done 121K. Neutral

Last edited by gbf on 30th Mar 2018 3:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #193175830th Mar 2018 3:03 pm
gbf

pagoda wrote:
I think you'll struggle to get a diagnosis of this over the internet. Best thing to do is to take it to a shop and get them to put it on a lift for you and run the car. If your wheel bearing is going it'll be obvious when you put your ear to the wheel.

Changing the bearing is a pain in the Censored . Completely. It's not that it's technically difficult, it's just that the hubs can be an utter Censored to get off. If you're not used to working on cars, I'd strongly suggest you pay a shop. With the right tools it's not a long or expensive job. You can supply the bearing yourself to reduce costs and make sure you get a good one. Only go for the Timken bearing. Lots of info on the site about bearings and a 'how to' in the wiki if you want to try it. LRDirect seem to be the cheapest for parts. At least that's who I've used (because they ship to the US).

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure out the noise on the 'net. You'll never get the certainty you need.

Thank you, will take it to the garage, wanted to gain some advice as if its likely to be an expensive repair I'll look to trade it in. Thumbs Up

Post #193176030th Mar 2018 3:07 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

The bearing is about a hundred and something - check out the internet for a price. But get the Timkin. It's probably 90 mins for a garage? Guessing. It's not difficult for them. Wheel, disc, hub off, replace, etc. Maybe £300 all in? IF it's the wheel bearing. Which it may not be Thumbs Up

Good luck.
 PAGODA  
Post #193176530th Mar 2018 3:24 pm
john watson

Don’t jump to soon to Trade it in.

New wheel bearing . Depends if you want to change it yourself. A 2007 in all probability has had the wheel bearings changed already so the stake nut value should be around 230 kn. Easy to change if you can get a length of scaffold pole and a big hammer. Cost around £120.

New rear prop shaft . Again if you can do it yourself around £300

If you do it yourself invest in a swearbox!

Both of these “how to” are adequately covered if you do a search on the forum. Don’t panic.

If the hub bearing is goosed then there will be little vibration unless you a catastrophic failure which is unlikely. The noise is more a grinding sound which increases when you turn either left or right.

From you description I would suspect that the rear prop shaft is the villain. If it is replace it as one. Don’t try to replace the centre bearing only.

As another offering re vibration.

Are to under trays secure?
Have you removed the battery cover and left it on top of the engine cover?
Are both sides of the bonnet secure?

All these will give you enough vibration of different frequencies to frighten the French

Let us know how you get on
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #193176930th Mar 2018 3:38 pm
john watson

Pagoda.

Wheel bearing!

As said on my previous post on a 2007 in all probability will have had the wheel bearings replaced by now. I have a 2007 and I am on my 3rd pair . 2nd pair were not Timken hence the change out.
DM in Dundee replaced both sides last year. 15 minutes a side cost £180 per side Timken off course.

It’s an easy job to do but SWMBO objects to my “engineers” language when working on the D3. Some of the design features are enough to make you swear.
Post #193177630th Mar 2018 3:45 pm
gbf

john watson wrote:
Don’t jump to soon to Trade it in.

New wheel bearing . Depends if you want to change it yourself. A 2007 in all probability has had the wheel bearings changed already so the stake nut value should be around 230 kn. Easy to change if you can get a length of scaffold pole and a big hammer. Cost around £120.

New rear prop shaft . Again if you can do it yourself around £300

If you do it yourself invest in a swearbox!

Both of these “how to” are adequately covered if you do a search on the forum. Don’t panic.

If the hub bearing is goosed then there will be little vibration unless you a catastrophic failure which is unlikely. The noise is more a grinding sound which increases when you turn either left or right.

From you description I would suspect that the rear prop shaft is the villain. If it is replace it as one. Don’t try to replace the centre bearing only.

As another offering re vibration.

Are to under trays secure?
Have you removed the battery cover and left it on top of the engine cover?
Are both sides of the bonnet secure?

All these will give you enough vibration of different frequencies to frighten the French

Let us know how you get on

Thanks John, not had any work done to it recently (except a new tyre as I got a flat conveniently outside a dealership !!!) At least now I have an idea as to how much its likely to cost. Thumbs Up

Post #193178730th Mar 2018 4:05 pm
gbf

Just to update you, cars had a new drop link, bottom ball joint and wheel hub. Thumbs Up

Thanks for your advice, its very much appreciated.

Post #193521610th Apr 2018 5:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >