DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Which Dehumidifier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Which Dehumidifier?

We store our caravan at home, with access to mains power. To keep the caravan free of damp during the winter when wide temperature fluctuations can see moisture condense on surfaces, I intend using a demudifier, probably running on a timer. We can drain the water extracted through the sink.

Is anyone able to recommend a dehumidifier? Thanks in advance.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #115669712th Sep 2013 7:56 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Used Ebac ones in the past...very good and you'll be supporting a British firm with equipment manufactured here in the uk!

Post #115675912th Sep 2013 9:23 pm
DWH

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Got mine at B&Q with a humidity settings which are on a dial, turns itself on and off and like you are thinking it drains into the sink. Just one warning watch out on the rating of the dryer (Watts) and the area it is capable of drying will, some of the small ones won't manage it and also don't let them freeze

Post #115677712th Sep 2013 9:59 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There was one in Lidls last week that shifted 20ltrs a day, around £129 (may still be in the stores), normally their stuff is good value and comes with a 3yr guarantee Thumbs Up

Post #115682212th Sep 2013 11:46 pm
David W

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I've bought two from Ecoair, one for keeping an unused bungalow dry in winter and one for in my van.
Does both jobs admirably.
Its the 122, and small enough to take away in the van in winter time and as it is the dessicant type it suitable for cold temperatures.

To successfully keep your van dry you will have to block off ALL vents otherwise you will just be drying the outside air and that will take a bit of time Rolling with laughter

Post #116281825th Sep 2013 12:44 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

+1 for ebac. I live in a single glazed listed building and before having a whole house system put in had two of these. They are not cheap, either to buy or run, but they are a great piece of well made kit

Pete

Post #116338626th Sep 2013 1:35 pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd recommend you don't have any, with the vents in the floor of the caravan all you do is keep dragging in moisture from the outside. If you van is at home just pop the heating on now and again.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #116342426th Sep 2013 2:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I just stick a silica gel box in there. It has silica crystals in the top, and collects the moisture in a container underneath, and needs emptying every now and then. Never had any damp problems in my caravan in 6 years.

Post #116355426th Sep 2013 7:29 pm
David W

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I would suggest that if you use your caravan in winter a dehumidifier is an excellent purchase.

You have spent money and time warming your van and then you are cooking in it, showering in it and sleeping in it. All of these activities produce a lot of moisture and your options are; put up with steamy windows, open doors and windows to produce that draft that blows the moisture out (with your nice warm air), or put your dehumidifier on!

If you do not use your van in winter you can just leave your van as it is and let the numerous ventilation holes try and do their job of getting air to circulate around the inside and hopefully not letting any moisture get trapped within.

In the majority of cases this is sufficient but can be intimidating when you see two foot of fog inside your caravan just like it is outside!

Another option is to use a desiccant (silica gel) or a dehumidifier (of which a desiccant type is best in cold weather) inside your van to absorb any moisture. Neither of these options are any good unless you block off all the vents to stop moist air entering from outside. As I have already said, all you are doing is trying to dry the atmosphere outside and you 'aint going to win!!

The advantage of using a straight desiccant is the price, but the disadvantage is you have to replace it quite regularly, and the fact that you have to go in the van to do so lets moisture back in.

The advantage of using the dehumidifier is that you can set most up to drain continuously and it will give a bit of warmth to the van, with the disadvantage being the cost of buying it and the running costs.

It is 'horses for courses', but having used a dehumidifier for years I have found them to be a versatile and very useful piece of equipment!

Post #116366726th Sep 2013 10:42 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

In the end I bought a small dehumidifier off Amazon for about £35. It seems to be working well and fills the reservoir quite quickly. Because it was small, it does not have a drainage outlet so I will do a little DIY and arrange for it to discharge into the sink hole!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #116370327th Sep 2013 6:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >