Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

nice pic of a winch type a-bar on the front there Steve Thumbs Up Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #60532217th Feb 2010 10:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

ill get me coat...... Embarassed edited so no one will ever know Malc Laughing
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #60533017th Feb 2010 10:43 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Could you not cut out a section of the A-bar slightly smaller than the number plate for the cable to come out of. The hawse could still be mounted on the bumper as normal?

Post #60533817th Feb 2010 10:51 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i for one refuse to answer that Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #60534117th Feb 2010 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Have I said something stupid or is there some kind of experiment gone wrong lurking in the past? Smile

When I say 'as normal' I mean in the context of hidden winches.

Post #60535217th Feb 2010 11:05 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

discocuzzy wrote:
ill get me coat...... Embarassed edited so no one will ever know Malc Laughing

Laughing Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #60536417th Feb 2010 11:15 pm
Dave T

England 

OK, here's a winch virgin question, is it possible to fit virtually any winch, are they a standard fitment? There are some half decent looking ones on fleabay at 12, 13 and 16 000 lb capacity at what looks half decent prices (£240 - £350)

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/WINCH-IT-REC...QQ_armrsZ1

What else would I need to buy, I'm just a bit sceptical that these look too cheap after seeing others advertised for a D3 at around £1600.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #60548818th Feb 2010 8:39 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Dave a lot are made in China and are very poor quality.

The reason I fitted a 12,000lb winch to my (now sold) D3 is the fact that 9 times out of 10 you wont need to put that extra block in to do a double pull. Also the 9,000lb winches get hot and they will melt the plasma rope. I wanted to use a plasma rope so got a 12,000lb winch.

If you get some winch training you will be advised in the do's and dont's, double pulls, snatch blocks etc etc. This will ensure the safe use of the vehicle equipment and more importantly yourself and others around you. To be honest get whatever winch you want but get some training at least then you will know the limits.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #60549618th Feb 2010 9:04 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Andrew

A bit of a sweeping statement about 9000lb winches getting hot and melting plasma rope.
Normaly heat is produced by having bad contacts within your power system, plus it depends on where the brake is located. The G10 that I had fitted on my 90 and used in competition had a brake in the drum. The rope never melted on my drum. It did go hard but that was it.

I would suggest that a newbie to winching talks to a winch retailer to get some proper advice. David Bowyer is always friendly on the phone and won't pressure you to but his kit
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #60553118th Feb 2010 10:11 am
Dave T

England 

do you have contact details for him or does he have a website?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #60554618th Feb 2010 10:51 am
Ken

Giving AndrewS is a certified trainer and uses his winch most days in his line of work he might know a thing or too

Post #60554718th Feb 2010 10:55 am
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Pester TFC, he might resurrect the winch group buy thing.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #60554818th Feb 2010 10:57 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MARKW wrote:
I would suggest that a newbie to winching talks to a winch retailer to get some proper advice.

Or talk to AndrewS or TFC .........they are certified winch trainers and LR instructors. The issue of rope melting is documented on here ...if you look Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #60556418th Feb 2010 11:35 am
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Purely personal feelings here but here goes......

I won't touch Warn winches except for the 8274 model. IMHO over priced & over rated.
Remeber a few years back that they released a winch where the stall rating was higher that the cable rating, not good.

I have used Super Winch & Goodwinch for the past 20 years & would recomend to anyone.
Mr Bowyer is a good place to start & has a good back up service.

If you choose the EP series of Super Winch or the Goodwinch TDS Goldfish type the brake is in the gear box, it will hold the full load and heat build up is much less.

In older winches with the brake in the drum heat build up could be an issue with synthetic cables, especailly if the unit was powered out for extended periods. Other than price about the only benefit of a steel cable was that it would act as a heat sink in that situation.

It's one of those topics like which tyre is best, every one has a different opinion but only mine is the right one!
Regards
Nick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #60556618th Feb 2010 11:35 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

If they are certified instr for winching then they should know better than making sweeping statements that 9000lb winches melt plasma. They should know that certain winches have cone brakes and therefore no heat issues in the drum to cause damage to the rope.
The fact that they are instr, new people to winching will listen to what they are saying. And in this case what they are sayiong isn't 100% true. I read it that Andrew is saying that ALL 9000lb winches damage rope. That is not the case.

David Bowyer in in Zeal Monachorum. If you search for BBORC on google you'll find his web site

And the issue of ropes melting I would say is down to the over use of paying out the winch. Why not take a few minutes and put into free spool and pull the cable out. Laziness is the answer.

I have competed in challenge events for the last 3 yrs seriously. Both as a driver and as a winch bitch. The last season I won my class. We broke 1 rope all year. So that was 6 events in the series, 4 or 5 other challenge events in between. The reason we broke the rope was down to me routing the rope incorrectly for the pull. Totaly my fault and it ended up my driver rolling the truck into a big pond and coming close to drowning Shocked . But I learnt.
The ropes yopu can now buy, be it plasma, Amsteel blue or bowrope will be perfectly suitable. The weak link is the end user who tries to push the boundaries or using the winch incorrectly.
I'm not a winch instr but I do know all about winching learnt the hard way over the last 4 yrs plus and not in a classroom with a powerpoint slide and a practicle exam. That's not to say Andrew only learnt about winching at LR. But if the way they teach winching is the same way they teach someone to do a prospective drive then I have little faith in their competencies. As the experience I have had from LR instr isn't the best.

Again this is my OPINION. There are other opinions available.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #60556918th Feb 2010 11:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >