Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

DrRick wrote:
I see yours is a Bali Blue, but an HSE. I imagine it'll have come with the privacy glass as standard but anyway.

Are Pentagon worth the extra money?

Yeah mine was factory privacy glass.

I've seen plenty of shoddy tints. Pentagon in reading are spot on - but like others say I'm sure quality can vary - so recomendations are key.

A couple of things to consider:-

1. Not all the films are the same - there is quite a range in thickness and quality. Some cheaper stuff fades over time, marks/tears easily. I guess all Pentagon franchises use the same; local 1 uses good stuff.

2. Fitting of the film needs to be done well - nothing worse than bubbles/dust under the film. They need to have a super clean environment. If they've done the cars before they can pre cut the film to a template - this is very accurate as tried and tested and saves time. Windows want to be taken out so that no visible edges - this also helps if they've done cars before.

Mark.

Post #7706755th Mar 2011 12:47 am
DrRick

Scotland 

I know it makes sense when you read it, but I hadn't realised that they took all the windows out. Does that apply to the fixed panes aswell?

I had one phone up and talk me through options (xtreme auto), and a message to phone another (pentagon) who then talked me throguh stuff. So it's between them so far. Will go have a look at their establishments I think.
 Dr Rick  
Post #7706885th Mar 2011 7:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landy_Mad_Foreigner

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We had our D3 windows tinted (b pillar back) a few years ago.

SWMBO insisted on going as dark as legally possible, which is great for the kids in terms of sun protection and the fact that it is very difficult to see inside so hopefully a deterent to would be thieves.

But the trade off is, it is a b@st@ard at night! Takes a lot of getting used to because all you see on dark roads are dim headlights from cars behind (can't make out the car shape etc) and it is a pig when reversing because you can't see a thing in the dark Sad

The guy who fitted ours came over from Newcastle, I think we paid about £170. After a few weeks we noticed some bubbles on the side window (behind the c pillar) and he came back and replaced no problem. Very Happy

We've had the tint for going on 4 years and have had absolutely no problems.It is tough stuff.

The tinting guys will tell you which grade of film is legal.

I'd recommend going middle of the road price wise, just make sure they offer you a guarantee and ask for references Thumbs Up

Personally I think the dark tint on our silver D3 makes it look so much better 8) and would go for it again on the next one (if we can ever afford another) Thumbs Up
 One Wife.......Livid

BAS Remap, RLD Sumpguard Side Steps, A-Bar and LR Driving Lights - Just a start but more to come

1984 Series III SWB on the mend and getting better 

Post #7706935th Mar 2011 7:52 am
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

DrRick wrote:
I know it makes sense when you read it, but I hadn't realised that they took all the windows out. Does that apply to the fixed panes aswell?

I had one phone up and talk me through options (xtreme auto), and a message to phone another (pentagon) who then talked me throguh stuff. So it's between them so far. Will go have a look at their establishments I think.

No they wont take the bonded windows out - that's why if they've done a number if helps as they know the exact right size to cut the file to from a template - no gaps messy edges etc.

Mark.

Post #7707195th Mar 2011 9:18 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DrRick wrote:
I know it makes sense when you read it, but I hadn't realised that they took all the windows out. Does that apply to the fixed panes aswell?.

one way of ensuring that they get edge to edge is to remove the glass. This option just so happens to work very well on the D3 as removal is quick and easy. On fixed glass it's not an option as it's normally bonded. So they will fit up to the seals or surrounding trim Thumbs Up aesthetically it's spot on.

With opening glass a cheap as chips place using rubbish film (not johnsons or 3m) will leave a gap around the edges that becomes visible when the window is opened, this is so their cheap film doesn't get caught on the sealing rubbers. When a good film is fitted edge to edge it has to be cut and bevelled with the glass - you should also be told not to open he window for 12-24 hours.

Good places will offer lifetime warranty on materials, but still have to compete on price - so it's actually very hard to say middle of the road is the safe place to be...

(can you tell I've spent too long at Bens unit yet?)
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #7707255th Mar 2011 9:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landy_Mad_Foreigner

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Point taken 90BHP, I'm no expert at tinted windows but as a customer was very happy with my middle of the road choice Thumbs Up

I guess it's down to personal choice, experience, knowledge etc. I don't think the guy who fitted ours took our windows out but to a novice like me it looks the dogs galoolies.
 One Wife.......Livid

BAS Remap, RLD Sumpguard Side Steps, A-Bar and LR Driving Lights - Just a start but more to come

1984 Series III SWB on the mend and getting better 

Post #7707335th Mar 2011 9:47 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is a good summary of the law:

http://www.shropshiretints.co.uk/legal.htm

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!

If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;

a) You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b) You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c) If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d) Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

In essence if you have excessive tint on windscreen and/or front windows then the vehicle is defective, with all the potential problems this brings Shocked As has been said earlier dark tint is a Censored at night.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #7707365th Mar 2011 9:56 am
DrRick

Scotland 

Right, I'm booked in with Xtreme Auto Tints in Glasgow for this Saturday. £175 with lifetime warranty on the film. They'll have the car for 5 hours to do everything rear of the B-pillars in 20% (midnight) tint.

They apparently do regular work for the local BMW main stealer (name escapes me). First impressions are good; phoned to book for this Saturday only for him to say he was booked but the following Saturday was ok. Problem is that this is an only car and I have the inlaws here for this weekend to do a shuttle run. No problem, he juggled my job in for this Saturday.

I'll take some before and afters and post them later.
 Dr Rick  
Post #77513716th Mar 2011 7:49 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

So, just got the car back from Xtreme Auto Tints. £175 for the rear of the car, and he had it from 1030 till 1445 on a Saturday.

Before (scuse the rain, it is Glasgow after all):

Click image to enlarge

After:

Last one shows the difference inside through tinted (left) and untinted (right) windows on a standard day. I went for midnight (20%) tints.

Looks good so far. As for those looking for a recommendation, the guy at Xtreme used to work for Pentagon, but stepped out on his own. He's doing well, take what he says seriously, or not its your choice. But, he says he uses better films than Pentagon, charges less money and does things properly from what I can see.

Short story: I'd recommend him. But we'll see how the tints stand up to a bit of use. And you get a lifetime warranty for defects.
 Dr Rick  
Post #77616119th Mar 2011 4:47 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Looks a nice job Thumbs Up It's difficult to see from the photos but can you see what you have in your boot from outside of the car? I want mine done, but want it to be very difficult to see in the back from outside so the scrotes can't see what's in there but not sure on what % I need.

Post #77619619th Mar 2011 6:20 pm
Flying Scotsman

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

That looks like a job well done, I think I will give the guy a phone and get my done now! Very Happy

Nice car Wink

Post #77624019th Mar 2011 7:28 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

Hairy Dan wrote:
Looks a nice job Thumbs Up It's difficult to see from the photos but can you see what you have in your boot from outside of the car? I want mine done, but want it to be very difficult to see in the back from outside so the scrotes can't see what's in there but not sure on what % I need.

You've got to be close to see in. Bearing in mind we're not in high summer for light strength though. This 20% is supposed to be near factory. He would fit the 5% limo tint if you wanted, but I didn't think it would let enough light in for my daughter to comfortably see out.

Apparently LR do actually use these guys for some 'factory fit' tints as opposed to using dyed glass. Learn something new.

If the weathers good I'll get a close up of the rear and sides looking in.

Just have to follow some instructions for the next week till the film is properly cured onto the glass; no electric heating elements, no rolling down the rear windows and use the heater to drive off some of the fluid used to place the film.
 Dr Rick  
Post #77626219th Mar 2011 8:43 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

No photos, but my observations.

Because I've got the dark cloth interior you have to get really close to see any detail of whats in the back of the car in daylight. In fact, apart from seeing that there is a child seat, it would be really difficult to see a bag in the footwell, or anything in particular sitting on the seat squab.

For the boot, I always use the retractable cover so there's not real difference, but, same rules as above would apply if I left it off. Dark carpet and tints would mean it would be difficult unless you had your nose pressed up against the glass to see anything inside.

I'm sure the limo tint would be a better choice if you wanted to stop people seeing stuff completely, but the downside would be a lack of ability to see out in anything but bright sunlight. So I declined that option.

Just got called a drug dealer because of the tints, but I think it looks really smart now. Happy chappy, will be even more so if it stops my daughter getting grumpy at the sun in here eyes.
 Dr Rick  
Post #77672121st Mar 2011 8:04 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for that, very helpful now I have an idea of what % to get. Thumbs Up

Post #77674821st Mar 2011 9:05 am
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

You're paying for overheads at the end of the day.

I used a local guy who took it to a Toyota dealership and used their facilities, he didn't have his own workshop so I didn't pay for it.

He also knew what the closest film to factory tint was, as I didn't want to 'pimp it' like some do.

As a guide I paid £150.00 for everything behind the drivers headrest [A? B? Pillar?] and it's superb.
 D3 incl. genuine glass windscreen, front bi-focal headlights, full width rear bumper, self levelling washer bottle contents and audible 'tick tock' indicator stalk
911 GT3 had one [never]
R8 V12 just gone [past me]
Piiss highest up a wall winner runner up 1979 

Post #78474611th Apr 2011 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >