DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Windscreen Insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Windscreen Insurance

windscreen insurance scam…

Not long after I bought my fist D3 I needed to get the windscreen replaced. Not a problem I thought, as like most people with fully comprehensive insurance, the cover included windscreen replacement. What I didn't know then... was much about Autoglass.

These scammers not only blatantly lied to me about fitting OEM glass, they also botched the installation of cheap Chinese copy glass. This rubbish has a thicker black border around the edge which reduces your field of view. The heating elements are also thicker and I found quite a distraction when the sun is low. The ribbon connectors on each A-pillar are often bright yellow and impossible to hide behind the trim making them visible outside the car. The idiots at Autoglass also stuck my A-Pillar trims down with black mastic after snapping all the clips and not replacing them. To cap it all the heated screen stopped working after a couple of cold days and was useless during all the snow last year. Before I had it replaced I discovered that they'd also fitted the whole thing crooked increasing wind noise along the top.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've gone and cracked the screen on my 6 month old Landmark and didn't want to devalue the car with that cheep chinese copy glass again. I rang my insurance company (Privilege, a subsidiary of Direct Line) and was shocked to be told that they now exclusively dealt with Autoglass and there was no other choice. I rang Autoglass who said they'd only fit OEM glass if the insurance company approved it… which they wouldn't. Besides, OEM was approved and promised last time when they fitted the crap glass.

When I questioned the legality of the windscreen insurance cover dictating substandard and possibly dangerous replacements, Privilege informed me that this service was provided free of charge with the comprehensive cover. A gift if you like, so you have no right to complain.

In the end Privilege offered £125 towards the cost of OEM glass if I sourced it myself. Strangely Autoglass wanted £450 for this screen when the cost at any LR dealer is just £340 ??? I just can't bring myself to devalue a £50,000 car and detrimentally effect the whole driving experience with crap chinese rubbish for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds, so I'll swallow and buy it myself. I'm happy to pay a little more for a quality product, especially if it supports European glass manufacturers - I just wish our insurance companies would give us the choice.

Just wondered how long it'll be before they start insisting on plastic bodywork replacement or cheap copy brakes, engines etc? - If it's a gift you can't complain!
Shocked

Post #84185430th Sep 2011 2:04 am
wychwood

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Things are quite similar here in the states, with the exception that if you let them know you're aware you are being ripped off (for example, the difference between the Autoglass and the dealer), they will typically attempt to make good.

There is also some legality involved with regard to the manner in which you acquired your car. If you have leased the vehicle, and the insurance company is aware of this (and they will be), they may be required to replace it with OEM glass and cover it whether they like it or not.

Post #84185530th Sep 2011 2:19 am
mzplcg

England 

Hey CC, I feel your pain. I went through this twice with autoglass. They are utter w.ankers to put it mildly. However, the way I dealt with them was noticeably different on the 2 occasions.

First was on a new D2 where they promised OEM and fitted a crap copy which leaked. I complained and they sent the same muppet out to rectify it which he tried to do with the EU mastic mountain. Still leaked so I complained again stating that I wanted a different fitter. They obliged and this next chap removed the screen and refitted it. It leaked in a different place this time so I finally lost patience and sent a written compliant via recorded delivery giving them 1 more chance to repair it to my full satisfaction or I would have a different company do it and sue them for the cost. This time I got a senior (old boy) fitter and the depot manager out. They fitted a new genuine screen and all was well. They also spent well over an hour cleaning up the car properly and removing all but a thin bead of glue.

Second was on my D3 where I called them and stated original glass or I would turn the fitter away. He arrived and wanted so start quickly as he had a lot of work on that day. I told him to F off and come back another time when I wasn't going to get a rushed bodge job. His attitude changed very quickly and I insisted on inspecting the glass before he did anything (old trick is to get the broken screen out leaving you no choice but to accept the cheap copy he has on the van) and I told him that if it wasn't original glass then he could forget it. It wasn't original.

Anyway, long story short I made him call the depot and order a genuine screen to fit the next day. He duly returned as promised with the proper screen. I supervised the fitting to make sure he knew I was watching his every move. I also made him a tea to keep him on side so to speak.

Moral of the story is that it's YOUR car, YOU say what goes and what doesn't. Also, if the Insurance Co are being snotty about it you should complain to the Ombudsman. Investigations like that cause them a lot of work, something they are usually keen to avoid Wink

Good luck Fella. Stick to your guns, It's your car bud so don't take any sh*t from them. Thumbs Up

Post #84186130th Sep 2011 6:18 am
crews control

All good points mzplcg, thank you.

I've sourced the OEM glass from Guava in Guildford and it's being fitted today by a local company recommended and used by them. After speaking with the owner I'm a lot more confident about getting a proper job on what is a very expensive car for me!

I was intending to go to the Ombudsman as there's a few more parts to this story, like giving you what they state is their own glass 0845 'hotline' only to find out it's a direct line to Autoglass who themselves don't let you know you're not talking to Privilege/Direct Line!!!
Rolling Eyes

Post #84191630th Sep 2011 9:09 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

interesting Confused

- this was one of the reasons I insure with LR insurance as they guarentee genuine LR parts for all repairs.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #84191730th Sep 2011 9:13 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

crews control wrote:
I've sourced the OEM glass from Guava in Guildford and it's being fitted today !!!

Small world, just on the train down to Guava today after my car had it's hollies there while I had mine elsewhere. Mr. Green

Post #84194230th Sep 2011 9:53 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DiscoDunc wrote:
interesting Confused

- this was one of the reasons I insure with LR insurance as they guarentee genuine LR parts for all repairs.

Not for windscreens they don't, or at least didn't before I went elsewhere. If it's that shower RSA lot forget the sales crap, it's non-LR marked Pillington stuff I've had a few times. Call me a blind old goat but haven't had any issued with that or Autoglass (Inverness) whatsoever.

Post #84194530th Sep 2011 9:58 am
bobbroom

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had a slightly different experience with Autoglass in Cambridge. Ony last week I took a trip to them to replace my windscreeen after it developed a 30cm crack. It was repaired with minimal fuss and with OEM parts which was offered without asking. Had to pay a £50 excess but everything worked fine afterwards.

Sounds like there are varying standards across the country which is a shame.

Post #84194830th Sep 2011 10:00 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had a screen fitted after 2 months of getting my new D4

No fuss .. Phoned on Monday ... They came out tuesday ... Even texed me with what 2 hour slot they we're going to arrive .
Original LR screen fitted with new clips for A pillar

Could not fault the service
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #84195530th Sep 2011 10:13 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I defence of Autoglass, I have to say that my screen was replaced about a year ago by AG (Bracknel branch,) and they did a good job of it with the OEM Pilkington glass (not LR branded though.)

They also replaced the complete A pillar trims because a couple of the clips and mounting spigots were broken, all in, a very decent job with no problems.

Maybe standards have slipped over the last year or so with everyone trying to get a bit more for their money, but in any case the finished job is only as good as the individual fitter.

On a side note, I was insured through NFU at the time, perhaps they have different arrangements with different insurers Question
 Clive

Post #84196130th Sep 2011 10:19 am
crews control

bobbroom wrote:
...It was repaired with minimal fuss and with OEM parts which was offered without asking... Sounds like there are varying standards across the country which is a shame.

That's weird... when you ring their National hotline given by Privilege (0800 328 7471) they say they'll only fit OEM if approved by the insurers. I would have been happy with Pilkington as it looks the same as OEM, but they said it'd be the copy stuff unless I buy it myself. Maybe you've just been lucky? I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

The local windscreen fitter says he's tried to arrange deals with insurance companies but the price they pay for the cheap Chinese copy glass is about what you pay to the insurance co. for the glass excess - ie. £75. He reckons that the glass companies are fitting the windscreens at a loss but making it up on the huge charges for side/door glass and extra's etc.

Anyway, all done now - and looks a perfect job. Thumbs Up

Post #84214030th Sep 2011 7:07 pm
mzplcg

England 

Glad it's all good CC. A 50 grand motor is a large wedge of money in anyone's wallet. Always pays to be insistent and do your own legwork. Like you said, you really wouldn't ruin a really nice car for the sake of a windscreen, except that insurance companies would do exactly that if they could get away with it.

Post #8423441st Oct 2011 9:34 am
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Autoglass Cardiff replaced mine a couple of weeks ago with Pilkington glass after failing to repair a chip to my satisfaction. The fella was happy to spend ages trying to make the chip repair invisible but when he could see I wasn't satisfied he changed the windscreen.

Did a very neat job and I'm really happy with the new screen.
 Dec 04 TDV6 HSE in Tonga green with Alpaca interior.  
Post #8424081st Oct 2011 3:48 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I have had two screens from auto glass... all fitted OK without problems, not been geniune though.

They replaced by screen surrounds last time as they broke some clips and told me if the heated screen doesnt work when the winter hits to call them and they will fix it under warrenty.

No complaints here so far!

The funniest bit was when the NFU hiked up the cost of their insurance earlier in the year they lost my renewal.

Unfortunately for them, the screen went at 10 pm on the day when the insurance changed over to TESCO at 12 midnight... so I took great delight in calling the NFU the following day to tell them they could do one last thing for me before I departed... lol

Post #8425031st Oct 2011 9:00 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

I just got a chip repaired on my windscreen and it hasn't worked it's as visible as it was before Big Cry

Phoned insurers they said ok we'll replace windscreen, I asked for OEM they said nope only on up to 3 year old cars. I pointed out that while yes it is older it is considerably more expensive than say a ford fiesta and I am not happy with it being replaced with cheap glass. They are still debating the issue they are going to get a quote from National Glass for the stuff they use (it has that black band round the outside which I hate and with a-pillar restricts visibility) and if I get a price for standard OEM glass then I can pay the difference Shocked hmm we'll see about that.

I've told them this is annoying me I buy insurance to repair my car if damaged, not for someone to find the cheapest part they can and put it on but to a similar standard part as it should be.

Waiting to find out how much National will say their glass is, the Landrover OEM price here is £390.73 but if the difference is huge then they'll be getting told I'll pay £100 of the extra and not a penny more as that is already over my excess. If they want to start arguing they'll be told that's fine I have 2 cars insured with you and I'll take them elsewhere tomorrow morning and in the long run it'll cost them way more than the difference between cheap glass and OEM glass.

Typical insurers! You pay all your life, never claim and when you want one thing of a similar standard, especially a windscreen, cheap glass false economy.

Edit - update - Have now spoken with National windscreens myself (insurers just play phone tennis) they said most of the windows they get are pilkington glass, most ... erm I pointed out nicely that most doesn't work for me, that's like saying most of the food we serve isn't poisonous ... who wants to take the chance. So they are going to order me a windscreen and they are under no illusions that if it's not pilkington or has black edging that exceeds the a-pillar covers they'll be sending it back ... why can't things just be simple? Pay your money get whatever someone else feels like Rolling Eyes

Post #85145225th Oct 2011 3:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >