Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Winter Cold Start AND Engine Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AVO30

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Winter Cold Start AND Engine Problems

Bare with me all - I know some of the issues have been covered but I couldn't find them all occurring in other threads at the same time.

So back story - Parked the car in a ski resort on Fri and come Sunday went to start her - nope - this seems to be the problems I have seen on here where you can warm up the switch under the engine cover - I did not know this at the time, tried jump starting but nothing - eventually recovery came and we managed to get here started with a sodding big battery and a can of motor start sprayed into the air intake. Fantastic....

All was well....

About 20 mins down the road and temperature back up to -2 degrees from -8 and then the dreaded Transmission fault, HDC off, limited gears, suspension drop etc happened.... Pull into a lay-by, turned her off and back on and all cleared. Then two mins down the road it happened again except this time the engine also died leading to a loss in power steering etc - luckily I was in the process of pulling into another lay-by.

By chance the recovery was two mins behind me (forethought on my behalf to leave the resort before him just incase knowing we were going the same way!). 3/4 times getting her started again with motor start spray into the air intake and each time two mins later the electronics and dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

So... What went wrong?

Diesel turns to Gel at -8.1 degrees C. Im guessing this has happened but why after 20 mins of driving did she cut out again? Id left her run for ten mins in the car park before departing and she had done a good 30mins before cutting out.

What could have caused the electronics to go funny after all that time? The battery obviously had enough charge to turn over the engine several times but why did it require motor start in a can?

Eventually she ended up on the back of the recovery truck and a very expensive return journey ensued....

Before I book her into Land Rover Monaco (Yes, they probably add an extra few zeros because they can - it's Monaco...) any ideas? I got in her this morning and driving her locally and she hasn't missed a beat! Im due another trip up to the same resort in a few weeks and have run out of kidneys to seal for recovery.....

Any ideas or tips would be grateful!!!

Post #202106622nd Jan 2019 12:23 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

well your glowplugs have probably failed.

However these can snap when removing them so can cost £700 to replace.
SO you best option is to pour water onto the sensor to start. (or a 5K resistor) (or put a hair dryer into the intake before starting)

If you want to check your glowplugs have failed:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic49539.html

Post #202108322nd Jan 2019 1:34 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

why did it light up all the warning lights after running for a while? must be more than just glow plugs?
 Just 'cause you got the power... that don't mean you got the right.

Post #202122722nd Jan 2019 8:57 pm
Pete K

good question! If only I knew!

Could be poor battery/alternator. (with all that cranking of engine)
Could be network problem provoked by cold ?

Post #202123122nd Jan 2019 9:13 pm
AVO30

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Guys, Yeah suspected the glow plugs initially but the Disco has run fine since... Battery and Alternator must be fine as after having it delivered some 150Km back home on the back of a flat bed, the day after she turned over first time no worries and has done since.....

So the mystery is why did all the electronic systems shut down in spectacular fashion.... Guessing there isnt much additive in the diesel down here at sea level.... Will be adding my own for next time and fingers crossed...

Also upped my european break down coverage as what I thought was covered wasn’t.......

Post #202160223rd Jan 2019 7:45 pm
Pete K

it can be a problem with the network cables under the car when it all shuts down.
(the twisted yellow wire at the rear of the car) under the car.

check they aren't rubbing on metal

there is probably another failure mode

Post #202162923rd Jan 2019 8:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >