Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Winter Tyres - For a single trip!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Winter Tyres - For a single trip!

Just wanted to check my own sanity here. Im planning a Christmas drive to Slovakia through Germany, Austria and Slovakia.

Now of course I am told that Winter Tyres are required but after some digging Im not sure they are for a visitor. It is a serious expense for a 6 day trip. Even if I did swap to winters then I am also told that Winter Tyres are not so good in the summer.

So I am coming to the conclusion that they will be far to expensive.

Any common sense views - would you fit winter for all year round use in the UK? Is the D3 not excellent anyway with normal tyres with lots of tread?
What do you think guys??
Cheers
Gary
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #30241523rd May 2008 2:44 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

In all those countries you can use "all weather" tyres instead of summer/winter tyre. all weather tyre has "M+S" (mud and snow) marking on the tyre. For example Pirelli Scorpoin which fits to D3 is such a tyre.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #30243823rd May 2008 4:14 pm
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

AAAArrrrr so my normal Scorpion Zero's are ok then!
That sounds excellent!!

AN wrote:
In all those countries you can use "all weather" tyres instead of summer/winter tyre. all weather tyre has "M+S" (mud and snow) marking on the tyre. For example Pirelli Scorpoin which fits to D3 is such a tyre.
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #30244023rd May 2008 4:20 pm
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

GaryR as I mentioned on your original thread, my research and advice was to go with Winter Tyres, I am not disputing what AN says, but, the German police are THE LAW, if you are involved in an accident in Germany and your car is inadequately shod for the conditions you are in deepest doo doo.

I copied this from the original advice when I was googling before about winter tyres,

Are Winter tyres required for driving in Germany?

The short answer is yes and at the moment there is plenty of both snow and ice. If you were to be involved in an accident no matter how slight that is when the fines start adding up. The sign M&S is not on all winter tyres and are generally an all weather tyre and not a winter tyre, the snowflake is the symbol for winter tyres.The problem is that if the police did stop you or decided you should be fined for incorrect tyres you cannot move until the correct tyres are fitted to the vehicle Bavarian police can be very bolshi and as far as what the AA say its what the autobahn policman says that counts nothing else his word is the law not forgetting that winter tyres are just not for snow but for cold and wet roads as well.

Also my Father in Law (wife is Czech) kept going on about winter tyres and how good they were in comparison to normal tyres.

My Vredesteins have worn very well and are just as good, if not better than summer tyres. AndrewS did some detailed looking into and found that the main difference was the level of silica used in manufacture, in effect offering better grip. Fuel consumtion was no different, and handling was improved. If my tyres had been worn out and I was replacing them with a trip to that part of the world on the cards in the near future I woud get te winter tyres and that would be it. As I mentioned in my other post, it was only because I had good boots on mine lready that I went for the complete spare set.

If you wanted you can hire mine for a nominal fee! One thing with the Vredestein is they are directional, so in theory you would need 2 spares, now for that you'd need to borrow Kens car Whistle

Cheers

BB
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #30246523rd May 2008 6:08 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bogblaster is correct that winter tyre is better than "all weather" one, but for one trip to spend that much money...

I just yahooed some info from: http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law

Austria
The use of winter tyres is not mandatory in Austria, although their use can be enforced through road signs. In particularly snowy areas drivers have two options; either use winter tyres or fit snow chains around the car's summer tyres. All-season tyres can be accepted as winter tyres if they carry the M+S mark and have at least 4mm of tread. Any tyre with a tread depth of less than 4mm is regarded as a summer tyre. Snow chains may be used when the motorist deems them necessary. In addition chains canbe made compulsory in certain regions. Spikes can be used with cars that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes and speed limits are enforced for these vehicles. (2004 info, maybe too old).
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #30246723rd May 2008 6:24 pm
al cope

England 

A tip for those with directional tyres. Have your spare set up for the kerb side, as it almost always this side that picks up punctures due to the crap thats left in the gutter.

It doesn't actually hurt to run a directional "backwards", you just havnt got as much grip, especially in the wet.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #30246823rd May 2008 6:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

garyr wrote:
so my normal Scorpion Zero's are ok then!

We run Zeros in summer and winter versions. I think the main concern is that summer rubber at winter temperatures becomes too hard, but I'm not really sure. I'm sure some tyre boffin will come along soon. Wink

Post #30250323rd May 2008 8:33 pm
jimmyb

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have been running my Disco on wrangler M+S tyres up down and across the pyrenees this winter without any problem, including the odd blizzard and 1ft of snow across the road. I have chains JIC but they stayed in the box all winter. The snow setting on the traction control has got me up 1:5 snow covered slopes, my only caution would be on braking where the tyres only give limited grip.
Happy driving
Jimmy B Smile

Post #3054142nd Jun 2008 3:05 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have been running verdestien wintrack tyres for the last 10,000 miles and they have shown very little sign of wear and the grip is brill Very Happy in wet or winter weather. and look like they will last another 25k or so
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #3054312nd Jun 2008 3:24 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You could hire some snow chains www.roofbox.co.uk

Post #3056122nd Jun 2008 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >