Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wipers not 'parking' properly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Wipers not 'parking' properly

Got an intermittent issue with the wipers on my '09 D3. Sometimes - but not always - at the end of a sweep they'll get to what ought to be their 'parked' position (fully down) and then lift away a little bit as though they're starting the next cycle, and then stop.

It doesn't happen every time - and when it does, they only lift a couple of degrees away from 'parked' before stopping. But it's enough to Censored up their intermittent/rain-sensing wipe function - if I've got the wipers on intermittent setting, the slight lift away from home position is enough for the car to think that they're part-way through a cycle, so they won't trigger any more sweeps unless I turn them off and then on again.

Is there a limit switch that I need to check/adjust? Is is a sensor on the way out? Or ....?

Post #191535216th Feb 2018 5:15 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Had this year's ago on an Astra. The conductive tracks were circular and a small part had corroded away. Repaired with a bit of solder. Not saying if that's the reason but that's my thinking

Post #191537016th Feb 2018 6:23 pm
wjpbill

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: Wipers not 'parking' properly

gareth71 wrote:
Got an intermittent issue with the wipers on my '09 D3. Sometimes - but not always - at the end of a sweep they'll get to what ought to be their 'parked' position (fully down) and then lift away a little bit as though they're starting the next cycle, and then stop.

It doesn't happen every time - and when it does, they only lift a couple of degrees away from 'parked' before stopping. But it's enough to Censored up their intermittent/rain-sensing wipe function - if I've got the wipers on intermittent setting, the slight lift away from home position is enough for the car to think that they're part-way through a cycle, so they won't trigger any more sweeps unless I turn them off and then on again.

Is there a limit switch that I need to check/adjust? Is is a sensor on the way out? Or ....?

I know you posted this a while back but I wondered if you found the answer to the problem as I've got exactly the same issue.

Would appreciate it.

Post #20246772nd Feb 2019 11:46 am
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Haven't sorted it yet. But it's gone from happening intermittently to happening pretty much all the time now.

I've come to the conclusion that it needs the wiper motor assembly replaced. I'll be taking it in to my local LR indy in a few weeks for some other work, so I'm going to have him replace it for me then. (I did think about doing it myself, but it involves removing the external A-pillar trim, and I don't have a great record when it comes to removing trim without breaking clips and catches!)

Post #20247332nd Feb 2019 1:43 pm
wjpbill

Thanks for the reply.

It may be just the stop switch.

Apparently it’s a common fault with them.

Would appreciate it if you would let me know if they find it.

Post #20247462nd Feb 2019 2:00 pm
wjpbill

NickJ wrote:
Had this year's ago on an Astra. The conductive tracks were circular and a small part had corroded away. Repaired with a bit of solder. Not saying if that's the reason but that's my thinking

Hello Nick

What did you mean by “The conductive tracks were circular and a small part had corroded away”

Which tracks and where?

Thanks

Post #20247472nd Feb 2019 2:02 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

They are inside the motor, when the wipers are switched off the power supply is changed to another circuit inside the motor, this circuit is fixed and in parallel with or part of the motor driven gear and has a break in it, when the gear gets to this break wipers stop. If the second circuit is worn gunked up or damaged the wipers will stop anywhere when they come to the damage or *immediately the wipers are switched off.
Only solution is to remove the wiper box and open it up to examine, usually an easy time consuming job.
Hope this makes sense.

*gareth71: your problem Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20247762nd Feb 2019 3:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >