Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wiring F14 direct to ignition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi, back from the dead which is not to say that the D3 has been fault free, but that I have been flat out with other stuff. Happy to answer questions on replacing timber edging on garden paths, placing rocks along wire fences to slow down water runoff etc.

I have a Haltek performance chip on the tdv6 which, unknown to me at the time it was fitted, was wired directly to the battery. It draws 100ma which should not be an issue but I also have the traxside auxiliary battery system that draws around 130ma, so the two together, plus the ambient draw can be an issue if not driving reasonable distances regularly.

I asked the local service centre to try wiring it to the ACC switch on the ignition but this brought up a fault code, so the next idea is to go direct to the ignition such that the chip gets power when the key is inserted. Has anyone wired directly to the ignition, if so how easy or otherwise is it?
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #197376514th Aug 2018 6:53 am
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did this bring up a fault code? Intresting to know what the code was.
If im not mistaken, isn't many of the systems ground side switched?
Where is this box of yours fitted? Engine bay i guess. What you could do is wiring it up to the infotainment power, i think its a blue wire that feeds bt module, antenas etc. But this is inside the vehicle. Perhaps go for the engine bay fusebox and find a switched ign feed from there. I haltech is quite good with engine management systems. The elite etc. Im at work, but perhaps someone with access to the wiring diagram could advice on what wire to tap in to in the engine comparment fuse box.

Mr.P

Post #197378114th Aug 2018 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Mr.P, thanks for your speedy response!

There was a fault code but I did not make a note of it as the original installer suggested trying a connection to the ACC but did not know whether that would work because the chip needs power very early on hence he always connected directly to the battery.

My knowledge of things electrical is extremely poor, so I do not know the answer to the ground side switch question. That is the reason it took me so long to track down the cause of the battery drain.

Yes the chip is in the engine bay and from memory it is next to the engine ecu.

Yes knowing which wire to tap into would be very useful.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #197378914th Aug 2018 8:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >