Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Wishbone part numbers and opinions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
Wishbone part numbers and opinions

Hi all - long life story alert - please feel free to exit!

Last July I decided to have both upper and lower wishbones on all 4 corners replaced (non-genuine), as I felt the suspension was feeling a bit tired. Ever since I've been really dissatisfied with the ride, and a couple of weeks ago swapped from the 20" wheels that were fitted (255 50 20) to some 19" (255 55 19). Sadly this hasn't made much of a difference either, and if I'm honest I don't really know what to do next. It has definitely taken away some of the enjoyment of driving the car.

The only way I can describe it is that the car seems to 'crash around' alot, a bit like the D2's did on 18" wheels. What I find odd is that there are days when it actually isn't too bad, but then the next day goes back to riding badly again. Is it possible that there might be an issue with the height, and should I be looking at the height sensors?? When I had the wheels balanced and fitted, I also had the suspension height calibrated to standard / default height, as I'd also tested it with a 5mm reduction in height (which didn't really help).

To conclude, should I be considering air spring / shock absorber replacements (car has done 131k), or look to replace all non-genuine wishbones with genuine parts (as per the title, I'm looking for genuine part numbers)? I would hope the labour shouldn't be as much, as I wouldn't have thought the bolts shouldn't be as much of a problem? I just don't know what to do and I'm actually starting to wonder if it's worth injecting more money into it. In some respects I only have myself to blame, as I should have just had the front lower and rear uppers replaced with genuine parts (these were the only troublemakers) and left the others. Might not even be having this problem now!

Post #22863453rd Apr 2022 8:58 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Sorry to hear after all that work it’s still not right

If u look on advanced it has all the part numbers

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/steering--suspension-98-c.asp

Must admit the first thing I would do is check the compressor’s live data to ensure it’s reaching the correct pressure, as maybe one day it’s ok and another day it’s not , might be getting tired

Does it drop at all overnight or after a few days

Have u tried different tyre pressures, re check ur ride heights , have ur anti roll bar bushes been replaced / checked for wear

Hope that helps a little and some of the more knowledgeable members should be along soon to guide u better

Post #22863543rd Apr 2022 9:41 pm
gstuart

Also found the suspension data for u

Plus wonder if it would be worth having ur Hunter all wheel alignment rechecked to ensure everything is 100% correct

Click image to enlarge

Post #22863553rd Apr 2022 9:45 pm
alex0264

gstuart wrote:
Hi

Sorry to hear after all that work it’s still not right

If u look on advanced it has all the part numbers

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/steering--suspension-98-c.asp

Must admit the first thing I would do is check the compressor’s live data to ensure it’s reaching the correct pressure, as maybe one day it’s ok and another day it’s not , might be getting tired

Does it drop at all overnight or after a few days

Have u tried different tyre pressures, re check ur ride heights , have ur anti roll bar bushes been replaced / checked for wear

Hope that helps a little and some of the more knowledgeable members should be along soon to guide u better

Hello. Thank you for the useful information, it's much appreciated.

A new compressor was fitted when I bought the car 5 years ago, so perhaps it is getting tired? ARB bushes were done last year I believe when the wishbones were done. I've also tried running lower tyre pressures which didn't make much of a difference.

Driving home today was particularly bad. I can only describe it as 'like driving on flat tyres', the car just bangs about.

I've been driving this car for 5 years, and a D3 before that for 6 years. Perhaps I've just got so used to how they drive that I'm thinking it's worse than it is?? I've been tempted to find another one for sale locally and going for a test drive to see if it's any better or worse. Could be dangerous though as I would probably want to buy it! Something I can't really justify, plus I don't really want to part with mine.

Post #228768912th Apr 2022 5:32 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome

Wondering, do I have diagnostics to check out the live data plse as at least then ur know if the compressor is getting tired or not

Must confess on my D3 after I’d fitted a new compressor and resolved all the leaks it was like night and day , even at motorway speeds it remains well planted and doesn’t wallow around corners

Shame ur wasn’t closer as u could have driven mine as a comparison

So apart from checking the live data would also check ur ride heights to ensure there also correct and then go from there , just looked , fronts 466mm rear 485mm in normal ride height

Another thought was maybe one of ur height sensors/ connector are bad causing the fluctuations of ride quality

Hope u get it resolved , Plse let us know how u get on

Post #228772412th Apr 2022 8:33 pm
alex0264

Last night I decided to time how long it took the compressor to do its job. From sitting in access mode it took over two minutes going to normal height, before the compressor switched off. It appeared to reach normal height in about 20 seconds, so I don't know what it did with the rest of the time. Then once finished I went from normal to off road height, I gave up after about 3 minutes as the compressor was still running. Again it reached height in no time at all.

Do you think maybe I have a bad compressor?

Post #228802015th Apr 2022 9:14 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Subscribing to this thread as my 2014 is similar…

Ride was perfect but now when it stop/starts it will sometimes drop height until it restarts again, I hear the compressor working when I haven’t asked for any change and the ride has definitely worsened…almost feels like I’m running over tyre pressure.

I have added height to my normal mode with the IID and it has definitely improved. I will monitor it and also measure the hub to wheel arch as mentioned above…. I have 20’s …. Should it still be 466 and 485?

Thanks in advance and will watch this with interest…. Hopefully we will get to the answer and get back to the magic carpet ride that it should be!
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #228803115th Apr 2022 10:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >