Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Worried about the engine now SWMBO has retired.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Worried about the engine now SWMBO has retired.

Need advice please.

SWMBO before retirement was commuting on A roads and motorways to work – at least 45 mins both ways. 18,000 miles per annum. Engine oil is changed every 5000 miles. Car very happy.

Now retired madam is doing crazy low miles. Our daughter is only a mile away. Daily mileage total can now be as low as 2 miles at most……
Maybe not the only journey every day and at least one journey a week is for an hour on a motorway but this is bad bad news for the car I fear.

Already changing the oil every 5000 miles and using the FBH, but as we leave the colder weather what else can I do to soften the shock for the car? My only thought is maybe to plumb in a 240v engine coolant heater preheater? Change the oil every 2500 miles?

Post #236657014th Apr 2024 8:13 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Local short journeys…….How would SWMBO feel about using public transport ? Laughing …. TBH that’s what I do, if it’s not reasonably walkable, (mainly to avoid ULEZ charges), but I don’t hold back using it for longer trips.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #236658615th Apr 2024 12:02 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

Vehicles are for driving. Drive it. Perhaps consider a battery maintainer if you feel the risk is high that the battery won’t be replenished on these short drives.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #236658715th Apr 2024 12:41 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Worried about the engine now SWMBO has retired.

kevofcov wrote:
Need advice please.

Daily mileage total can now be as low as 2 miles at most……
Maybe not the only journey every day and at least one journey a week is for an hour on a motorway but this is bad bad news for the car I fear.

Already changing the oil every 5000 miles and using the FBH, but as we leave the colder weather what else can I do to soften the shock for the car? My only thought is maybe to plumb in a 240v engine coolant heater preheater? Change the oil every 2500 miles?

Like you I don't like journeys that do not allow the car to warm up fully. I have a lot of short journeys, so in winter months I fire up the Webasto 15 mins before I leave to assist. If I have three consecutive short journeys I will make the next one a longer run until the car is at full temperature.

Remember though, unlike petrol engines which rely very heavily on oil misting for cylinder lubrication. Diesels have an oil jet for each cylinder as their efficiency takes them longer to reach that temperature. So I think if it gets one decent run per week you should be fine. That said, if there are too many short journeys, and short Webasto cycles it's not the best operating conditions for the engine or the Webasto.

Fire up the Webasto 15 mins before the journey and make sure the car gets a proper run every 3rd or 4th journey and it will be fine. Changing the oil more frequently than you currently are will make little difference if any.

I have two D3's one manual and one auto, both of which I have run now for many years with this regime without any issue whatsoever. Oil and filter changed every 10k kms using 5/w40. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236658915th Apr 2024 12:53 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

warming upo the motor aint the issues here but temps of the gearbox where oil which is cold is much less fluid and provides less lubrication before gears get up to temps hence i hate short journeys as well Wink
G

Post #236659315th Apr 2024 7:49 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Buy her a pair of walking shoes.

Many benefits to be had by all.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #236659615th Apr 2024 8:31 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Another consideration with a 2016 MY car is oil dilution. Short journeys like that will not allow DPF regen to complete properly every time , so you will end up with excess diesel dumped in your oil. You’ll need to look out for signs ( oil dilution calc on IID, or showing overfilled for instance, advising a service is due well before the service interval) and change your oil more regularly. Just wondering if DPF regeneration itself may also become an issue, ie you’ll get a soot build up that isn’t burnt off ( obviously you’ll get a warning and you can take it for a 20 min run to clear).
I agree it’s a faff and annoying and that cars are for driving, but it’s an unfortunate reality with these cars and one which no dealer ever advised about .
We have an old Fiat 500 for local journeys and the Disco is used for hauling loads, long journeys and rougher terrain roads. It does more lower mileage journeys in the summer so I do a second oil change in the autumn about 5 months after service when it starts giving me indications.
Would agree getting engine up to temp is important.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236660515th Apr 2024 9:39 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like you don't need it so I'd sell it.

Why not lease a small electric car as a replacement? There are some crazy deals about at the moment.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder