colin6307

United Kingdom 
worth ordering surround cameras?

About to order New D4, is it worth ordering surround camera
Cheers

Post #68692928th Aug 2010 9:43 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Depends on what you do with your car and how your finances are. I use mine often and although they are a bit of a gimmick I think they are worth it. I got a very good deal on mine so that was and easy decision maker, go for them Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #68693228th Aug 2010 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Personal preference really... have you driven one with them fitted?

I got an invitation to a day at Gaydon which was a superb experience and tehy had fully kitted HSE's to play with, including the surround cameras...

They made gread play of the fact that you could pull up alongside a kerb without clattering the alloys... but theat.s never been a problem so far, so not impressed...

They also made great noise about the ability to see 'around corners' using the front camera to give a left/right view of an approaching (but hidden) cyclist. I have some doubts about this - it is clever (some might argue that it's truly witchcraft in action) BUT my concern is that it means you need to activate the camera system and then look inside the car at the dash at the very point when you should be observing every nuance of what is happening around you. This (in my mind) makes it good as a gimmick, but limited use in the real world.

Reversing onto a trailer - useful if you do... but then, if you do this regularly, you probably don't need it! I have a horse trailer on most weekends and it seems to be an awful lot of money for the odd time when it's raining and I need to double check something...

I wouldn't... but it's your car!

Enjoy the D4 - it's every car you'll ever need!

Post #68697728th Aug 2010 12:46 pm
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

It was about the only extra I did not order. Apart from gimmick factor which is fun for a short while, I didnt see any long term benefit as I wouldnt be doing anything where it could be useful.

Post #68699628th Aug 2010 2:58 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

They are waste of time..... unless you want tow assist.

to get tow assist you must order the additional surround cameras..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #68699828th Aug 2010 3:16 pm
ilron

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I chose them for the gadget factor and trailer assist, my experiences this far is:

- They are brilliant for when my GF parks the car: Side view + rear view = perfect placing each time.
- The front cameras are useless in intersections, they would have been much more useful if they had been mounted at the sides as on the new BMW 7 series.
- The cameras underneath the mirrors are useful as confirmation on where your side is on narrow roads where you have to hug the fence when you meet a lorry, but it is not like you could not do that without them either.
- I have not towed a trailer yet, only a car that wouldn't start and didn't exactly bother with trailer assist then.
- I have experienced connection issues with them, which my dealer will have to sort out.

All in all I don't regret that I went for them, but could easily have lived without them.
Most second hand cars around here is identically specified which might give you a slight advantage when selling it. Although I doubt you will get a higher price; your car will still have one more gadget than the others.

Post #68701628th Aug 2010 4:21 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I did have a day using a D4 with these fitted and didn't really find them that useful. Having to bring up the picture and then focus on the dashboard didn't really work for me and I didn't find the views that 'natural'.

However, the reversing camera is another matter. Standard on the HSE I believe and I'd add it to any of the other models. Works really well and other half thought it was daft but now loves it.

Post #68701728th Aug 2010 4:23 pm
Salty Spuds

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I only have the reversing camera, best £230 quid I spent, invaluable for hitching up the trailer & reversing out of the drive as it allows me to see around corners. I have driven an HSE at Skipton LRE with the surround cameras & found them an interesting toy but not particularly useful "real world" I wouldn't buy them.

Post #68714129th Aug 2010 12:16 am
tjp74

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

There is a difference in the rear camera when you have the surround camera or not. When you have the system, rear camera is a digital type, image is digitally corrected so no fish eye rounded view. Yellow guide line is more accurate and it moves as you turn the steering wheel instead of fixed straight line in cars without the camera system. It's actually very helpful guiding the car when reversing. Glad I got it.
 TJ
2010 LR4 HSE Lux Plus White/Ebony <=Sold 2012
2000 Discovery II SE7 <=Sold 2011
2010 Prius w/Solar Roof <=Sold 2011 

Post #68757030th Aug 2010 6:35 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

After having my D4 for the last 3 mths with surround camera system. Used it for towing and some grenlaning. I wouldn't buy another without the system as I've found it very useful in all situatons a worthy addition

Last edited by buellbeast on 30th Aug 2010 7:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #68757230th Aug 2010 7:07 pm
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

I find the cameras great for towing - I tow a small dirt bike which I can't see in my rear view mirror, so being able to have the rear image on screen all the time (which you can't with only the reversing camera) is useful for keeping an eye on it!

Tow assist is also very useful. Still haven't found a use for the front cameras though - they really don't look round the corners at all.

Post #68757430th Aug 2010 7:24 pm
highlandcow

As others have written, it really does depend on what you plan to do with your D4.

If you can afford them and think that you might miss them if you don't order them, then you should probably order them because it'll cost much more to try to get them retro-fitted and the retro-fit won't be by Land Rover.

Post #68768631st Aug 2010 6:14 am
Steve in Germany

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rear and side camera with Tow assist is great, front camera......like others have said

Post #68803731st Aug 2010 8:52 pm
leyend

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4

One front camera should be enough to avoid running over something in front of the high hood.
I have no clue why we need 2 on the front bumpers?

The side camera should have wider image. It should cover one foot in front of the front wheel to the center of the back wheel.

Last edited by leyend on 10th Sep 2010 5:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6891463rd Sep 2010 6:13 pm
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Ironically, the kerb view camera actually has a very wide field of view - it looks like the software is limiting what's shown on the screen.

When I first hooked up my trailer, one of the rear view options was from the side cameras, looking straight back! Assuming the cameras aren't moving, the field of view must be very wide indeed. Shame you can't change the view yourself on the screen. I agree though - seeing more of the kerb and car would be useful.

Post #6903327th Sep 2010 1:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >