Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Wow what a difference a little 2 stroke can make
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In fact I wouldn't put it anywhere near one of my vehicles DPF or not to be honest.

Post #169626025th Aug 2016 8:34 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

was only thinkin that myself

Post #169633926th Aug 2016 12:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
UtilityGuy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm confused now,

Is putting 2SO good or Bad for your LR3 engine and injectors, some say do it, some say don't,

Shocked

Post #173972926th Nov 2016 12:38 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

There is no scientific evidence that it is a good thing. The whole idea started with an Internet forum post. Nothing to back it up, just a strong suggestion that it was beneficial. It then snowballed because there was the whole Europe standard diesel without sulphur doesn't lubricate as well as old sulphurous diesel argument. Seems to be based on some poor US diesel data. The reality is that EU standards require minimum lubricity that is more than good enough for modern engines.

It ranks up there with the idea that the Moon landings were faked.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #173973126th Nov 2016 12:45 am
Deanos_Beano

England 

UtilityGuy wrote:
I'm confused now,

Is putting 2SO good or Bad for your LR3 engine and injectors, some say do it, some say don't,

Shocked

Depends what kind you put in , racing grade will stick like Censored to a blanket and clog things up , ypu probaby better off with low to nedium grade that will atomise well .
To answer is it any good ? !, in essence any lube getting through and doing a job has to help but I suspect only on well serviced engines and possibllt those that get de coked from time to time .

Post #173974626th Nov 2016 7:16 am
philm

England 

Found this years ago.
You may all know that Mercedes Benz have conducted in 2007 a long distance reliability test with a number of Mercedes E-Class 320 cdi from Paris to Beijing. Due to the fact that the diesel quality in East European Countries, Russia and China does not meet the DIN requirements, and Mercedes did not want to take the risk of their engines to flopp due to lousy fuel, the total tour has been accompanied by diesel tanks to re-fuel the E-Class cdi's. Selected members of the Mercedes clientele could apply to participate in selected parts of this test-tour, and advocats and notaries had to certify the correctness of this long term reliability test.
Although Mercedes does not like it published or made public, it is a fact that the diesel-fuel used for this test did contain 2-stroke oil to grease the high pressure pump components and to keep the engines clean during this marathon.
Why our car manufacturers do not officially allow the homoeophatic addition of 2-stroke oil to the diesel fuel has many reasons, mostly of legal nature. Besides this, which car manufacturer has any interest in excessive reliability of their engines? Their repair shops will have great problems.
Meanwhile the "2-stroke-oil to diesel" issue has attracted the interest of a number of Universities in Germany, as this 2-stroke oil has shown to have amazing poperties if added in a small dosis to diesel fuel (1:200), especially the positive impact on air pollution, reduced fuel consumption and improved long term reliability of the diesel engine. The pro and con discussions will go on for a while. But as soon as an accademic report has been published by one of our Universities, this will change very fast.
By the way: all car manufacturers reject the addition of any fuel "additive" in their cars, and warn that guarantee MAY be affected. Nobody says, that guarantee WILL be rejected. 2-stroke oil in its properties is not an additive, as you add oil to oil if you "dope" you fuel with a dosis of 2-stroke oil. The dosis of 2-stroke oil in your diesel-fuel is very difficult to analyse, as every (chemical) analysis has the main function to identify substances which are harmful. But 2-stroke oil has proven not to be harmful at all, on the contrary!
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #173977926th Nov 2016 9:24 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My experience is that with 255,000 km, after adding non-synthetic oil for a long time in the proportion of 250 ml for each full tank, I had to change 2 injectors recently, you judge, but who knows if I had not put it maybe there would be Had to change all the 6 Laughing
 lost in translation!  
Post #173978826th Nov 2016 9:49 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

philm wrote:
Found this years ago.
[...]

The problem is that there is no reference, no link of any kind to any of the alleged information/reports.

However, there is a technical report showing that adding 2SO does nothing beneficial and may actually be worse than standard European standard diesel:
http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-i...-study.php

If you're buying diesel in some back-water well off the beaten track in Mongolia or sub-Saharan Africa then there are likely to be benefits. This is because the diesel will be very poor quality. In Europe, with high quality diesel, you're wasting your time putting 2SO in the tank.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #173981326th Nov 2016 10:49 am
UtilityGuy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ok so I guess its a try and see situation, to be fair i normally buy Shell V-Power Diesel, and run RedEx Diesel through it once a month, but at this point my LR3 has been relaxing since its Tour De Turkey run in the summer, Its a Sit on the Driveway 5 days a week and Gets a run on the weekends,

But for a bit of interesting background info, I used to have a Mk4 Golf GT-TDi 1.9, I got very inventive with making my own fuels to run it, 50% Diesel and 50% Cooking Oil, Depending on where i was working from, I'd get it for free used and filtered, Or New Fresh and un-used for £10 for a 25LTR from a cheff guy i knew, the car never had issues, starting it 1st time took 2 cranks, but when it was hot it was straight on,
it was funny in traffic jams in London in the Summer as depending what the old oil was used for would determine what the exhaust smelt like, fish n chips to ginger sponge cakes, you would see people looking about wondering where the fish n chips smell was coming from in the middle lane of the M1 when at a a standstill,

Post #174015727th Nov 2016 1:17 am
JIMMY EYEBALL

Northern Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 3
will this do...

So I'm gonna give this a go... But I'm actually finding it difficult to find 2 stroke so this is what I've found will it do the job?

>>>>>in Gallery

Post #176891925th Jan 2017 7:27 pm
JIMMY EYEBALL

Anyone...

Anyone... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post #176904125th Jan 2017 10:50 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

As previously posted:-

Quote:
It must comply with JASO FC & be mineral or semi-synthetic. Fully synthetic 2sO does not burn ashfree and as such is not suitable for vehicles with DPF.

This is aside from the fact that Fully synthetic 2sO s substantially more expensive than normal mineral or semi-synthetic 2sO conforming to JASO-FC

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #176913726th Jan 2017 8:08 am
JIMMY EYEBALL

Not Easy

Its just not easy to get one with JASO FC, Mineral & Low ash I really can not get any Mineral based only JASO FB and any FC I have found are not low ash am I correct in sayin Low ash & Low smoke are the same thing????

these are what I can find....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-1-LITR...SwEetV9rDI

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-836-silkolene-...opeds.aspx

Post #176927026th Jan 2017 12:32 pm
JIMMY EYEBALL

So this i what i have got found

Found it in a motorfactors its the closest I can get JASO FD Semi-Synthetic Low Ash....

Post #176928826th Jan 2017 1:00 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No mate I wouldn't use semi synthetic, mineral based if you can find it
any old lawnmower service centres near you they usually stock it
no Halfords near you

Post #176938126th Jan 2017 4:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >