Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wynns EGR 3 cleaner ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

lancsamb wrote:
where did you squirt yours , can you remove the maf sensor and squirt it throgh that hole ???

I think you are confusing sensors. The MAF detects the airflow of the intake (Mass Airflow) and is immediately downstream of the air filter box.

Using grzesiul's colour picture above the MAF can bee seen on the LHS of the picture located between the air box and the silver jubilee clamp. If you look carefully you can see a direction arrow embossed on the black plastic ring that is the outer structure of the MAF. If you ever look down inside a typical MAF there are at lest 2 fine wires and a thermistor. You don't want to touch those wires with anything. Whilst I sprayed on the intake side I avoided the wires by use of a plastic straw, just to be safe.

I'm guessing that the hole you are referring to is the MAP sensor which is a small but expensive pressure sensor on top of the intake manifold at point 2 on grezsiul's EGR diagram. Perhaps that could be used as an inlet but I have no idea if the engine management system would like the engine being revved with the sensor removed. I/C hose is still a valid choice to disconnect and squirt through but as I am still on my original I/C hose I didn't want to disturb it.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #90093923rd Feb 2012 11:56 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

what is i/c that you refered to ??
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #90095924th Feb 2012 7:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

Ok, your car has a turbo that uses a turbine attached to the exhaust to compress and force air at increased pressure into the intake manifold. This process heats up the air which is then cooled by the intercooler before being fed to the engine. The intercooler hose is the big rubber pipe highlighted on grzesiul's picture with his big arrow.

Diagnostics for:

Post #90097924th Feb 2012 8:32 am
lancsamb

grzesiul wrote:

as above but take the IC hose off obviously

do i open the jubilee clip remove the pipe and then spray in the direction of the arrow with the engine running ??

Post #90098024th Feb 2012 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

lancsamb I'm saying this in the nicest possible way but your questions are making me a little nervous. Are you ok doing this on your own or do you have someone who can help you?

Diagnostics for:

Post #90099624th Feb 2012 9:20 am
lancsamb

ha ha
trust me patients do,
I do visit Flack sometimes as he is live close to me for his help but usually thats for the faultmate to fix things.....

Post #90099924th Feb 2012 9:33 am
lohr500

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Lancsamb,

I'll be treating mine to some EGR3 spray as soon as it arrives from fleebay.

But after reading several posts here, I think we need to go easy with it and only use 1 second blasts.
Spray in too much at once and it sounds like the engine can overspeed on the spray and rev itself to bits.

I'm going to remove the small MAP sensor and start the engine to see if on tick over there is pressure or vacuum through the MAP hole. If it's a vacuum I am planning on squirting the cleaner through the MAP hole so it misses the other sensors in the inlet manifold chamber. If it is pressurised, then it will be a case of detatching the intercooler hose to stop the turbo pressurising the inlet chamber.

All of this assumes the engine will actually run with the MAP sensor removed !
But based on the fact that many have found this sensor to be completely or partially blocked with crud, I suspect the engine will run.

I'll provide an update once the spray arrives and I have had a chance to tinker.

Post #90120824th Feb 2012 6:28 pm
Robbie

I wonder if those who have had an engine run-away have fixed the throttle or throttle pedal in some way to achieve the revs required by the spray (ie working on their own). Squirting stuff in from that point would have the revs screaming.

I got the wife to maintain the revs, that way she would lift if things got silly whilst I applied short bursts with a careful ear. It really was no drama as a 2-person job. Wife liked the idea that she just played with the revs whilst listening to the radio and I stood in the cold with my head under a noisy bonnet. She usually argues that she gets the rubbish side of the jobs (which, of course, is true.)

Diagnostics for:

Post #90124024th Feb 2012 7:09 pm
lohr500

Hi Robbie,

I noticed in your earlier post you mentioned that you squirted the spray with a straw to miss the fine wire sensors.

Did you do this through the opening where the i/c hose is attached?

Just thinking about plan B if going in through the MAP sensor hole proves to be a bad idea!!

Cheers. Thumbs Up

Post #90127324th Feb 2012 8:18 pm
Robbie

Did it via the intake side using a straw to miss the MAF sensor wires but the IC hose is probably the best plan if you have confidence in the hose. I didn't want to risk mine as it is old and I didn't have the time to faff around fixing it if it split.

Diagnostics for:

Post #90128824th Feb 2012 8:49 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

hi there I have been reading about this egr valve cleaner and I used it the weekend and I still have the egr valve sticking so will get replaced but since I used it my fuel consumption readings are all over the place is there a sensor that this spray could of damaged as I filled the car up clocked the millage averaged 28 but the clock fluctuates all over the place any one got any ideas please

Post #90251827th Feb 2012 9:31 pm
lohr500

OK, here is some feedback after using the EGR3 spray this evening.

Firstly, even on tick over there is positive pressure in the inlet manifold, so you can't introduce the spray through the MAP sensor hole. I guess the turbo still generates pressure even at idle.

So I had to remove the I/C hose. I still went for spraying the cleaner in through the MAP hole as this is upstream of the MAF sensor and I didn't want to risk damaging that with the cleaner.

I found that at idle, it needed just very small bursts of cleaner (less than 1 second) otherwise the engine knocked badly. Small bursts causesd a brief increase in revs and a return to idle very quickly.

It took around 10 minutes to get the whole can through in this way, but no drama with high revving engines.

Allowed the engine to idle for 2 mins and then shut down. Refitted the MAP sensor and the I/C hose.

The next step in the instructions requires you to restart and rev the engine to 2500rpm five or ten times.

BEWARE AT THIS STAGE. THIS WAS THE HEART STOPPING MOMENT FOR ME.

First time I revved the engine, it ran away with itself, way above 2500rpm. I was quick enough to turn off the ignition before the rev counter went 360 but it was a pretty scary moment.

Perhaps some of the cleaner was lurking in the inlet manifold, or had passed through the engine and got into the EGR pipework. Either way it took me by surprise.

On restarting, with very gentle throttle application and a hand on the key, just in case, all was well. I completed the 10 cycle rev/idle. Lots of smoke came out of the exhaust but this stopped after a while.

Went for a quick drive down the road and up a long steep hill to work the engine and it seemed fine.

Only time will tell now if the cleaner did any good. I had added 500ml of semi synthetic 2 stroke oil to the fuel tank a week or so ago as another post suggested this was a good way to help clear some of the crud out of the EGR valves.

I'll report back in due course if the dreaded yellow light comes on again, or the engine blows up next week from the side effects of the spray Big Cry

Post #90343229th Feb 2012 9:15 pm
Robbie

The instructions I used are in my gallery. The wife did the accelerator bit to maintain 2000rpm:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...93_PIS.pdf

Diagnostics for:

Post #9038231st Mar 2012 7:28 pm
eitileda

Argentina 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys!
5 years after this post might be a pretty good period to know about your experiences with the spray. How did it go? Were you Ok with it? My Nanocom is insisting in troubles with my EGR and I´m a little bit lazy about manually cleaning.
Please, let me know if this might be a solution.
Thank you!
Alejandro

PS. I run a D3 TDV6 HSE MY06

Post #178254823rd Feb 2017 1:40 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Bump !

I'm sure Alejandro would appreciate a response.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #194675920th May 2018 12:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >