Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
X5 and Merc Air suspension troubles

From Honest Johns Column (Telegraph)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...rjon02.xml

The X fails

I took delivery of a new BMW X5 in July 2005 and have experienced many faults. The biggest and, in my opinion, most dangerous problem occurred when the rear suspension dropped without warning while I was driving. BMW has had my vehicle back for weeks on end and says it can't find a fault, but refuses to put in writing that there is nothing wrong. I have written to the directors of the selling dealership and BMW UK, and find it unbelievable that not one letter has been acknowledged.
S.H., via e-mail

It is likely to be a valve problem with the rear air suspension. This can also happen to Mercedes W211 E-class estates. You could get a good solicitor involved and attempt to reject the vehicle for a full or partial refund on the grounds of breach of contract, because the car was not supplied to you in "satisfactory" condition. But be warned that there are no guarantees of success.

Surly not on a German Car! Shocked Shocked

The Disco doesn't suddenly drop (goes to failsafe) Very Happy Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #836358th Sep 2006 4:54 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also know of a few cases with the rear suspension on the 5-series touring doing the same...
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #836548th Sep 2006 9:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mach1

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

A friend of mine had terrible problems with the air suspension on his 5 series, I think at the time he was told it was quite a common fault.

Post #836638th Sep 2006 9:59 am
DickyH

Moral of the story as far as I can see - stay away from air suspension Shocked

Post #836708th Sep 2006 10:19 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rolling Eyes

Or perhaps it shows that Land Rover aren't the only ones who has issues with their air suspension, however perfect we wished it was? Also that those people who say "I'm buying a BMW/Merc as they're so much more reliable than a LR" are not necessarily correct...

Frankly with all the issues reported all over the internet with all types of cars I'm surprised anyone buys any car Confused
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #836738th Sep 2006 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DickyH

I agree with you. It's not so much the brand as the overall level of technology that is being introduced into these cars. As far as I can see, computer controlled everything and air suspension etc do not necessarily make good partners to what are supposed to be tough, reliable and long lasting off road vehicles which, in theory, have quite an arduous life. You have to ask how long all of this stuff is going to last. If the vehicles cannot be made resonably reliable from the factory, how is a farmer or somebody who uses it for the purpose it was built going to manage 8 years down the line?
I think there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple if you want a strong reliable vehicle, i.e. Defender. Why do you not see computer controlled gizmos and air suspenion on that? Firstly because it is not necessay and secondly to keep costs down and reliability up.
Don't get me wrong, the ride etc from air suspenion is superb, without question, but if we all wanted to ride along on a cushion of air, surely we would be better off buying some luxury Merc or Lexus etc.
I think there's just too much technology being crammed into these vehicles, whatever the manufacturer. It's very clever, but if it can't be made reliable then ultimately it's no use. If you want a tough, reliable machine, keep it simple.

Post #836778th Sep 2006 10:36 am
DickyH

PS - That's why I'm now looking at the coil sprung D3. Just don't understand why you can't get it with 7 seats which, whilst not essential to me, might be handy on occasions.

Post #836798th Sep 2006 10:39 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

err........ its called progress isn't it ....if we used your analogy we should have a stuck with a horse and cart Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #836848th Sep 2006 10:48 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Air suspension has been around for years on trucks, I think the problem is not the technology, which is quite simple really, but the number of variables that cannot be forseen in the use of the systems given the number of units out there (and i'm talking all vehicles, not just LR's)
The systems could be over-engineered to cope with anything, but would be prohibitively expensive...
Citroen pioneered the hydrolastic system, which left many cars at the side of the road until they got the reliability and build quality issues sorted... Many people will look back through their rose-tints with a 'oh yer, they were really comfortable cars, so much better than everything else at the time' and completely forget about the alien blood - like puddles they left everywhere and the sudden suspension drops on the motorways and hard corners (don't remember any 'scare' stories then Rolling Eyes ), it was accepted as part of owning something that was at the forefront of technology at the time

Post #836878th Sep 2006 10:59 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Razz Right... thats it.... never gonna buy a BMW or a Merc! Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #836988th Sep 2006 11:42 am
DrLex

Iceland 

DickyH wrote:
PS - That's why I'm now looking at the coil sprung D3. Just don't understand why you can't get it with 7 seats which, whilst not essential to me, might be handy on occasions.

Perhaps on of the LR boys might bite, but to my amateur view, tick where appropriate (more than one if required)
[ ] Coil suspension reduces space available
[ ] comfort of rear passengers compromised
[ ] loading levels would require headlamp level adjusters
[ ] "upsell" model
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #837118th Sep 2006 1:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Erm, perhaps I have not been reading all the posts lately, but I am very aware that there seem to relatively few suspension failures on D3's nowadays. I think LR have solved it.

Mine has not had any suspension problems for 46000 miles now.

Post #838238th Sep 2006 6:50 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
.... there seem to relatively few suspension failures on D3's nowadays. I think LR have solved it.

I was talking to my local Stealership yesterday and they said pretty much the same. I think the on-going "enhancement" programme has addressed this by removing (most of) the troublesome ones from circulation?

Hope I've not spoken too soon Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #839589th Sep 2006 6:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >