Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

YALI (yet another liftgate issue, fault code B1C4223)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wjk_glynn

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
YALI (yet another liftgate issue, fault code B1C4223)

In one fell swoop my LR3 liftgate/tailgate is exhibiting the following two problems:

* No actuator operation (i.e. silence) when you press the exterior liftgate button
* When you force the liftgate manual override (simultaneously holding down the two lock/unlock buttons on the dash for 3+ seconds), it will partially unlock leaving the liftgate sticking out about a half-inch (still caught on the lock). If a second person gets their fingers underneath and gently pulls while another operates the overide again, you can get it fully open.

The scanner reports fault code B1C4223, which is described in 418-00 Module Communications Network - Diagnostics and Testing as:

Description
* Tailgate Release Switch #2
Possible Cause
* Tailgate glass release switch (SW2- number plate lamp and tail door switch) signal circuit short circuit to ground
* Tailgate glass release switch stuck/jammed
* Tailgate glass release switch failure
Action
* Refer to the electrical guides and check the tailgate SW2 unlock circuit. Check the switch operation, renew as necessary.

So the course of action is to diagnose the switch issue (switch itself, harness, etc.) and then see if the latch needs adjustment/repair.

But…

This all showed up when I picked up my LR3 from the shop for suspension repair. They'd found leaks in (and replaced) the air compressor and rear right air strut. Though I have to note the problem isn't fully resolved because its still sinking overnight (though not as bad)… grumble/grumble/grumble….

So I have one of these unfortunate issues where you leave your vehicle in for repairs, but it comes home with a new problem. I want to be fair to the shop and assume it's a coincidence, but I can't help that nagging feeling that 'something happened' while it was in the shop.

So I have a quick question… does the tailgate wiring harness get routed anywhere near the rear struts? For example, on replacing a rear strut, is there any opportunity to affect the wiring harness for the tailgate (e.g. pinch a wire, etc.)?

Thanks.

Karl.

Post #75398229th Jan 2011 7:54 pm
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

From what you describe - I had the same tailgate issue. it was water ingress into the upper handle / latch switch - I took it apart - couldn't see how water could get into th emicro switch - cleane dit all off reassembled (breaking one of the two retaining clips for the switch location moulding Evil or Very Mad and it all worked again - until it froze up this winter. Same problem - but a bit of hot air and its fine.

Try drying it out first before you chase wiring looms ?

Lurk Thumbs Up
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #75398529th Jan 2011 7:59 pm
wjk_glynn

Thanks Lurk. It'll be an area of attention...

Karl.

Post #75409430th Jan 2011 1:08 am
wjk_glynn

Update…

I'm convinced the weird latch behavior is a coincidence because:

1) On Monday morning, everything worked fine (luckily the tech has seen the problem Friday evening)
2) When I brought it over to the guys, they put in quite a few hours over the next few days at their own expense to see if it was linked to their work.
3) They did find a lot of water moisture under the right hand front passenger carpet
4) My and their theory is that water got in there (they'd been doing leak tests for me due to sunroof issues) and that caused the errant behavior. And it ties in (somewhat) with Lurk's experience.

I have to say my follow up experience with the shop was very good.

Karl.

Post #7584428th Feb 2011 5:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >