Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Yes - it wasn't the brake pad warning sensor at all!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Yes - it wasn't the brake pad warning sensor at all!

Today, without warning ( aren't they all! ) I got a variety of amber warnings on the dash. Namely - the DSC, the HDC, the Brake System, the ABS and the Parkbrake. Added to which the Speedo needle stopped moving and the mileometer and trip meter stopped where they were.
I'm assuming the Parkbrake amber is because of one of the two sensors on the brake pads making contact with the disc to tell me its worn but are all the rest normal consequences of this happening?

From what i've read on the forum I think I now need the sensor wire ( whichever one it is ) replaced, as well as the offending pad set, as its now presumably b******d by being worn?
Flaming weather - I have a full set of replacement pads which I couldn't get round to fitting due to the weather albeit I knew they were getting close!!
Whats that saying ? " Never put off till tomorrow something which you can pay a Landrover Dealership an exorbitant sum of money for doing today" or whenever they can fit you in!!
I'm bracing myself ready to be told I should have done them before the snow - Yes I know I know!! Embarassed

Last edited by maltesenick on 12th Mar 2010 10:37 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #58247515th Jan 2010 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hub Sensor IMHO, I had one go and I required a new sensor to the N/S/R wheel. When driven I got no speedo and no increase in the milometre.

Well thats where I would look before pad wear sensor. That just gives you a AMBER brake light telling you to replace pads and wire.

Post #58248015th Jan 2010 11:39 pm
maltesenick

DUUUHHH! I suppose I should also have mentioned my D3 is a 56 plate coil spring suspension ( you know - the poverty model!! ) with 31k on it. And - in addition to all the "Ambers", the seat belt warning "bong" has also stopped although it still lights up - my wife reminds me!! Thanks McLeod 313 for info re Hub Sensor - is it also likely to set off all the rest of the ambers?? Confused

Post #58250616th Jan 2010 12:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

could be any number of things - i had similar messages and it was a Steering Angle Sensor - best to get the fault codes read if you can.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58259316th Jan 2010 10:20 am
maltesenick

I'm due in to dealers to get safety recall on Brake Vac Assist done in two weeks. I'm of a mind to get fault codes read and repair done then too unless anyone thinks its more urgent??

Post #58264416th Jan 2010 12:09 pm
maltesenick

Just a thought - are these sensors easily visible and if they had received damage would it be likely I could see it? If so could someone point me towards them? Fingers crossed! Confused

Post #58343917th Jan 2010 7:57 pm
maltesenick

So today was a surprise! Had to go to local recycling centre first then to firm about 20miles away to put my n/s sidestep in for bead blast before getting it powdercoated. Plugged in my portable GPS ( its a basic D3 after all! ) and started the car up. Guess what? - no amber lights and speedo working!! Very confused I set off to recycle place which is about 2miles away with plenty stops and turns etc but no need for serious braking. Still no ambers. Dumped the rubbish then drove another mile or so until I came to a downhill where I had to slow for a lorry turning off and used the brakes moderately firmly but only at about 3-5mph. The ABS came thumping in, pedal vibrating, etc with a variety of "dongs" and "dings" and at this point the ambers came back on and speedo died again. Slightly concerned, as you would be, stopped without switching off and had a quick check inside all wheels just in case something was hanging down with an " I'm broken" sign on it but nowt to see and fluid level was ok too. Set off slowly and tried using the brakes forcefully at various speeds up to 30mph but no repeat of the ABS activating. Arrived at bead guy and switched off then upon leaving had no ambers etc again till using the brakes then it all repeated itself ie ABS, ambers etc. Obviously its going into the dealers to sort/screw me but just wondered if this was yet another undiscovered facet on the diamond that is a Disco3? Crying or Very sad

Post #58427518th Jan 2010 9:28 pm
maltesenick

Having just read the post re " Replacing Brake Lights" from 110CSW I'm wondering if there is any connection there plus the use of my GPS in the auxiliary socket in the dash? Boy don't you sound pathetic when a non-mechanical thing goes wrong??

Post #58429818th Jan 2010 9:46 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Unfortunately, when the electrickery gremlins strike, theres nowt can be done other than a decent computer hook up to see whats recorded on the cars memory.

Feel for you, and hope you sort it soonest

Post #58431918th Jan 2010 10:06 pm
maltesenick

And now the Airbag Warning light is coming up too!
PS Replaced the rear brake pads today and they really weren't as bad as I'd been led to believe by the dealer at the service. Sensor cable connection to pad looks OK. Took the front pads off too to check them and cleaned/copper greased as appropriate also. They have about 4-5mm left so they will be tomorrows job as I split the 22mm socket on the wheelwrench doing up the rears.
Dumb question here - is it the little "pimple" on the back of the pad sensor push-in contact that does the "contacting" with the disc to activate the warning light ( and not the pad wearing down to the metal and completing a circuit to the disc via the contact where it pushes into the "U" on the middle of the pad? )? A bit of confirmation for what seems obvious is what I need here! Got my cotton wool brain in tonight.

Post #58517519th Jan 2010 9:05 pm
maltesenick

Eventually today, in the absence of any sensible advice ( I'm excluding my wife here! ) I thought I'd try disconnecting the front n/s brake sensor cable from the pad. And guess what - all my amber warning lights have gone. The red airbag warning is still there but the dashboard looks a little less like Blackpool Prom and following a cautious road test ABS etc all seems ok. Front pads are ordered and we'll see what happens after fitting them, then its into dealers anyway for a safety recall and a date with a computer. D3's - don't you just love them??

Post #58691121st Jan 2010 6:25 pm
maltesenick

Just to wrap things up!! Fitted front pads and sensor but still the same re lights on etc. Car went in for Brake recall and got them to check my "illuminations" at same time. Turns out it was a cut on the insulation of the various wires connecting to the lights which were coming on. Strangely - there was no mark on the external wrap on the loom - the main one running down the chassis just in front of the rear n/s wheel. Problem was water had got in and caused corrosion which was showing up as a high resistance when the techie eventually checked why a new sensor wasn't solving things. Very odd! Still, seems ok now after he cut out damaged bits and spliced in new sections.

Post #62000612th Mar 2010 10:34 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

another prestigious coiler club welcome

I do not think of my coiler as poverty version - think of it as unusual unique Defenderish whatever but not poverty version....

Post #62005313th Mar 2010 12:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >