Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Yet another Chawtin White Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Yet another Chawtin White Discovery

OK, so I've had it since July but I lurrrrv it. Very Happy Whistle And after her initial negatives about the looks, so does the missus. "Real comfy and quiet" she said on the last trip.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In August we hooked up the caravan (2.5t) and did a 1,400km trip up to RoxbyDowns/Andamooka and back via the Flinders Ranges and I can only say how fantastic it all was.

Click image to enlarge

Smooth & relaxing, steady as a rock with the van in very high side winds, really comfortable seats that seemed to fit even better the longer we sat in them, and an amazing car when 4WDriving. Have only ever done a bit of 4WDriving in my previous car - a 1998 GU Nissan Patrol which in itself was quite capable - but not a stitch on the Discovery.

Anyway have posted a few pics in the gallery for those interested.

Ian Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #829976th Sep 2006 12:43 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great outfit, Ian. Did you buy white for the looks or for practicality?

Also love your Andamooka panorama. (For info: Did you know that if your camera has manual settings and you 'lock' the exposure, you can get an even image without the colour banding?) I tried it on a couple of pans I did (see my gallery) but don't always remember to do it.

What sort of consumption did you record for the journey (overall) and you didn't go via Woomera, you went the longer route I gather.

Glad to hear the D3 loved it as much as you love the D3.

Fantastic trip. Leigh - in envy mode...
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #829986th Sep 2006 1:48 am
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

LeighW

That's my first attempt at panorama with the current digital - still getting used to it so I'll have to RTFM to see what it says about locking exposure. Thanks for the tip - it'll certainly make panoramas look better if locking is available. Wink

Have to disappoint on the route - I went there and back via Woomera, though one day......... The pic on the Boopeechee Road was taken when we were returning to Roxby from looking for the fauna park about 15 - 20 kms out of town. Embarassed

Fuel consumption, compared with my previous Nissan Patrol Petrol, is amazing. With the van it varied between 17.5mpg and 19.91 mpg pump to pump. The low figure was a constant 90kph and the high figure was at a constant 80kph from Melrose to Adelaide. When I set out my car had done about 2600km and by the return it had turned over 4000km. I hope to improve a little as the car clocks up a few more kms. In future I'll probably travel at around 95 - 100kph with the van hooked up. The Nissan routinely returned 12-13mpg Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Why did I choose white? First was practicality. It's easy to see and reflects heat well. Second was 'coz I thought it would go well with the van. Three was simply because every other bloke and his dog has got silver! And four was - well I just like it Whistle

Ian Very Happy Very Happy
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #830386th Sep 2006 8:38 am
Jamo

Australia 

Looks good, irobbie.

I chose white because it is cooler in the hot months and because it does'nt show scratches as much as colours do.

Having said that, I'm amazed at how resilient the LR paint job is. There are scratches in the plastic guards that aren't continued onto the paintwork.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #830436th Sep 2006 8:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

Excellent stuff. you can stitch those existing pics without the overlaps. I use the panorama factory by smoky city designs and have removed these before quite well. worth a try anyway
Ian, have sent you a PM

Post #830776th Sep 2006 10:14 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

White is THE colour to go...

We choose ours because of scratches and heat concerns too... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #830816th Sep 2006 10:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Barry - travelling via Woomera wow it still sounds as though it was a great trip. Excellent consumption as I still tend to think in MPG as well. (She reckons I live in the past.)

catweasel - have you tried Autostitch? Truly amazing app but has now gone commercial and has more complexity than the original free version. Yell if you want to know more.

Jamo - I had wished the LR paint on the lower tailgate was more durable on the day a young bike rider (<5 yo) tried to slow down and go between my parked car and the one behind it. He didn't make it and slammed into the paintwork. I expected there to be a bit of blood, etc. (from our dining position about 30m away) but the little tyke just dusted himself off and got straight back on the bike to join his brothers further up the road.

An inspection after lunch was finished revealed the paint scratched down to the aluminium (handlebars) and the bumper scratched in several places (pedals) but no damage to the shape of the back panel.

But my previous car was white and it did not readily show the scratches (of which there many and deep). On the other hand the window frames were painted black and indicated the type of driving the Pajero had been subjected to with many scratches.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #830896th Sep 2006 10:44 am
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Gurvan wrote:
White is THE colour to go...

We choose ours because of scratches and heat concerns too... Wink

same reason here, I wanted a black one, but the misses told me we would see all the scrached on it.
So without argue, I agreed in taking a white one...

As with that statement, she gave me permission to go off-road with it Twisted Evil

And in Belgium I only saw one other white one Wink
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #831546th Sep 2006 1:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >