Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Yokohama Geolander AT-S 265/60R18
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Folks,
Has anyone tried the subject AT tyres on their D3? If so, what is your opinion?

These are not quite as aggressive as the General Grabber AT2 pattern, but looks better than the standard Goodyear Manglers they fit down here! They are also slightly over-sized - but within legal limits for registration purposes in my state.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #20148810th Sep 2007 11:19 pm
jonesy63

OK, no reports of problems... no reports of success.

I am having these fitted tomorrow. Then having warranty work performed on Monday - a ball joint replaced (at 25,000km) and wheel alignment. I will try them out offroad in a couple of weeks time and report back after that.

Cheers,
Rob

PS. While these are supposedly oversized, they are the same diameter as the General Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18.

Post #2113994th Oct 2007 12:32 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Tyres... I have looked at these as replacments for the OEM Good Years, but have email from Coopers that the ATR will be available around next June. The size is slightly different 265/60/18 from memory (On a different computer without the info in front of me) but the difference is only around 1.7 %. SFA really. My last car had Cooper ATRs on it and I loved them, so I'm hoping the Manglers last until then.

Cheers

MT
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #2114064th Oct 2007 4:51 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

So Rob you have had to bite the bullet, it will be interesting to have a report on these. My Cooper HTs were next to useless on muddy clay. Rolling Eyes
What were the symptoms of the Ball joint failure?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2114104th Oct 2007 6:27 am
jonesy63

caverD3 wrote:
So Rob you have had to bite the bullet, it will be interesting to have a report on these. My Cooper HTs were next to useless on muddy clay. Rolling Eyes
What were the symptoms of the Ball joint failure?

Hi CaverD3,
There is still some meat left on the Goodyear Manglers. Just had enough of them - noisy as all get out, shaped like 50cent pieces, etc.

Regarding the ball joint failure - I hear a clunk through the steering column after the wheels are loaded up. For instance, coming out of a roundabout (full lock clockwise), then I hear the clunk as soon as I exit (turn steering wheel anticlockwise).

I really suspect the noise is within the steering wheel - what is it called? Clock spring? This is based on the fact that the "Mode" and ">>" and "<<" buttons on the steering audio controls don't work at certain times.

Anyhow - they found some play in the ball joint as well during the 24,000km service - and this gets me a free wheel alignment too boot! 8) If the clunk is still there after the ball joints and alignment are done - I will ask for this to be replaced as well.

So new tyres tomorrow and alignment on Monday... worked out pretty well! Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Rob

Post #2114474th Oct 2007 9:57 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

I had Yokohama Super Diggers on my FJ80 and replaced them with the Geolanders while still better than the original dunlop grand trek they were not as good off road as the SDs, on road they were slightly better than the SDs and miles better than the Dunlops. The Geolanders were still on the vehicle when I sold it.
If I could still get the Yokohama Super Digger SD05 I would use them.
I cant remeber the size off hand but they were 275 70? x 16" or about that

Post #2114494th Oct 2007 10:06 am
jonesy63

Well, I just had "Yo Mamma's" installed on my spare set of style 1 alloys.

First impressions on road - they are fantastic! Quieter, smoother and better steering response than the Goodyear Wranglers. Thumbs Up

I took a couple of photos (with my mobile) and uploaded them into my gallery.

Now to test them in anger! Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Rob

Post #2119375th Oct 2007 8:26 am
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Greetings Jonesy63

I was viewing your gallery, and spied your photo of 8 litres per hundred. As you appear to have the same driveline as myself, diesel and auto, wondered if you achieved these fantastic figures by driving in 5th, or by letting the auto do it's own thing?

Will be interested to see how the yokies pan out. Have always liked them on previous vehicles, would not have thought of them for the D3. Sounds promising however, and looks good!!

Matt
 <*(((<<  
Post #2120695th Oct 2007 1:28 pm
jonesy63

Getafix wrote:
Greetings Jonesy63

I was viewing your gallery, and spied your photo of 8 litres per hundred. As you appear to have the same driveline as myself, diesel and auto, wondered if you achieved these fantastic figures by driving in 5th, or by letting the auto do it's own thing?

Will be interested to see how the yokies pan out. Have always liked them on previous vehicles, would not have thought of them for the D3. Sounds promising however, and looks good!!

Matt

Hi Matt,
I got that 8L/100km on a trip from Sydney to Canberra and back - in a day. Nice flat run - mostly at 110km/h, with trip computer set and just set in auto. I reckon if I had been more cautious and used manual - locking in 6th, I could have done much better. But it was a lovely run - a very relaxing drive!

I have always loved Yokohamas on previous road vehicles... Alfas, etc. Toyos are pretty good too.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #2121165th Oct 2007 3:35 pm
Andycapper

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Rob (jonesy63),

Have been trying to collect something of an overview of AT tyres available to suit the Disco (18 inch tyres - a summary of options - updated opinions wanted) and would be very interested in your opinion of the Yokohama AT-S now that you have had a chance to experience them for a while.

I want to have a set of decent tyres fitted prior to delivery (due early Feb) but it is obviously a pretty subjective issue and any choice is likely to be some kind of compromise. At the moment the General Grabber AT2 seems favourite but would appreciate advice on how you have found them - on/off road, handling, wear, noise, ability to deal with rocky tracks (and puncture resistance) etc etc??

All the best,

Andy
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #2414907th Jan 2008 11:34 am
bgsntth

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
I have the A/T-S's

Reiterating what I posted in the related thread.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17252.html

I've had the new A/T-S's on for about 1K miles. I have not had the opportunity for much off-road driving, as yet. Albeit, my wife has been taking the dirt-road short-cut to the house of late, and I can confirm they clear mud very quickly.

Onroad they are smoother and quieter than the OE GY, with much better hydroplane resistance. My ultra-sensitive wife actually confirmed this too. Dry/wet grip is about the same, but I do not test the cornering limits on the LR3, that's what my Cayman is for. The Yoko's are much smoother and quieter than the Revo's I had on our recently sold GX470. Needless to say, I'm very surprised at their on-road behavior considering the aggressive AT tread. The sipes are also grooved inside. I really liked the Advan ST's I had on a previous car, so was willing to be the guniea pig.

Post #24375311th Jan 2008 6:56 pm
ASPGuru

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just found this thread, so apologies for the late reply.

I have been running Geolanders on my VW Caravelle (slightly smaller at 235 width and on a 16" rim) over the last couple of years, mostly for winter use and also whenever I use it to pull the caravan as the standard fit Michelins are useless once off tarmac, and I like to use grassy sites.

I find them quiet, wear well, and suit the AT tag well as they seem equally happy on tarmac and off.

Naturally, only having 2wd on the VW means I try not to do the mud plugging that a LR will allow, but even so I no longer experience the wheel spin I did before, even on one site where a (non LR) 4x4 was spinning (admittedly on smooth looking road tyres).

I used to have BFG Tracedge on my D1, and I reckon these are a very close match.

HTH

Mark

Post #24652517th Jan 2008 6:34 am
jonesy63

Hi Andy(capper),
Sorry for delay - I was on vacation in Fremantle and had no internet access.

I have now had the 265/60R18 Geolandar A/T-S' installed for over 9,400km.

Here are my responses to your questions:
1) on/off road - only did a small amount of off road around Lake Eucumbene. Cleared mud ok, much better than OEM Badyears. On road - like chalk and cheese!
2) handling - handle much better than OEMs - haven't found any limits yet.
3) wear - 9400km and no noticable wear.
4) noise - lots quieter than OEMs.
5) ability to deal with rocky tracks (and puncture resistance) - can't comment.

In short - I love them and would never consider going back.

PS. I made a summary of 17" tyre options before. I may well end up getting some 17" steel wheels and MT tyres for serious trips - but these are fine for weekend trips.

Cheers,
Rob[/list]

Post #2548014th Feb 2008 1:21 pm
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

I will soon need to replace my OEM 255/60R18 Wranglers after about 45,000kms. I was looking at the Cooper LTZs as the extra diameter sounded like they would work well aired down in soft sand. I do a mix of about 90% highway and 10% sand driving. I was however concerned about the possibility of rubbing and the location for the spare etc.

I have more recently been considering the 265/60R18 Cooper HT+ or Geolandar A/T-S. I know this means I'm comparing an HT and AT tyre but the tread patterns don't appear dramatically different.

I am curious if anyone has thoughts on which would be the better choice (or if there is another tyre you would recommend for the type of driving I do?)

I know there are different opinions on the best tyres for sand driving. My observations in this part of the world (South East of South Australia) is that AT type tyres with large diameters and low pressures generally work well on our soft beaches.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Post #48415519th Jun 2009 6:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bgsntth

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I would go with the A/T-S's, as they are better on-road than most highway all-seasons. They honestly do not have any AT type tire compromises. Compared to the Badyears they are quieter, smoother and have much better dry/wet traction and hydroplanning resistance. Plus they are the equal to top AT tires for offroad grip. Mine have 20K miles on them, and show little wear. I keep them bumped-up to 38/40psi cold.
 '06 LR3 V8 SE - recently returned on lease end
'08 FFRR
'09 Cayenne GTS - Manual w/ PDCC
'07 Cayman (gone unfortunately) 

Post #48416319th Jun 2009 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >