Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Adding additional oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Adding additional oil

My gauge is saying add 1 Litre of oil, On other cars I’ve added oil if needed as and when by reading the dipstick as you do, With my Discovery’s I’ve not really had the need to as I don’t do lots of miles, Probably more throughout the summer months but checked regularly with the good old dipstick and serviced regularly so not really had any issues, The dash oil gauge on the D4 is a whole new ball game as many report, Got a 400 mile round trip coming up so will it be ok is the question as I don’t want to add too much and balls it up or am I being over critical and do it at the next service which is due soon, Would rather be safe then sorry, Not sure if the gauge reads as it should, Just give me a dipstick back Big Cry
If adding 1 litre what would you recommend I top up with? Or would it be ok as is ?

Post #23606812nd Feb 2024 11:27 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

In these modern engines, a litre is a lot! Deal with it now.
Frankly, I don’t mess with it. I would only top up with the precise oil that’s in there now.
(or go get an oil change).

Down a liter… hmmm.. mine is never down a liter between oil changes.. except for that one time where we had to replace the PCV valve..

How often do you change the oil and filter?
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #23606962nd Feb 2024 2:05 pm
Darryl

Thanks for reply, Haven’t done an oil change or service yet as I only got it July last year and hadn’t long been serviced before and probably realistically only done around 3000 miles since purchased, I’m going to get it done soon as piece of mind but it’s asking to top up 1 litre in the meantime, Always been on the level until last week, The gauge is not that low really, It is slightly under but saying add a litre, What would do if I can’t find the oil type that’s already in the car? But will look through service documentation to see if it says oil type

Post #23607212nd Feb 2024 4:54 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Not long serviced and down a litre Shocked I would get it changed asap with the correct oil, if whoever claims to have changed it has scrimped on quantity they may have scrimped on quality as the correct oil for these engines is expensive. First thing I do whenever I buy a second hand car is give it a full service including cam belt, you cannot take chances with these engines. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23607232nd Feb 2024 5:30 pm
Darryl

Thanks M3DPO , It was serviced last March and only done just over 3000 miles since , So due anytime now , As you say you never know what oil they have used and was getting it done when due , But was surprised at the top up a litre, No mention of type used in service paperwork just 5W30 mentioned, Will it be ok topped up for now? And if not knowing the type what could I top up with to be on the safe side, Will get it in for change asap .

Post #23607262nd Feb 2024 5:49 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

I must agree... every used vehicle I have purchased immediately benefits ALL fluids and filters changed.
No, get it changed with the quality demanded by this vehicle now. Or pay a hefty price later.
Do you have the owner's manual? I have purchased from jaguarlandroverliterature.com as I like to have the books in the vehicle. Specific oil is mentioned in the book... but you don't really know whats in there now...
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #23607362nd Feb 2024 8:53 pm
Darryl

Yes I have the owners manual, It’s been serviced for the last approximately 8 years by the same reputable garage by previous owners with all receipts and itemised bills so I’m assuming they have used the same oil each time but me not knowing how low the level was each time a service was due then I’m
In the dark , Obviously Will get correct oil this time as piece of mind as I always have on my previous D3s,
Jut concerned if its ok to top up in meantime and trust this oil gauge without fear of over filling? As I have a few miles to do tomorrow, IID tool says 4.30 Litres but from what I’ve read this reading is from the oil sensor so giving same reading, ?

Post #23607412nd Feb 2024 9:22 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'd probably put half a litre in and see what it says after that.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23607422nd Feb 2024 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >