DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

ARB bar?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
ARB bar?

Hi guys, opinion please.

I have seen only a handful of Disco 3's with ARB bars. The bar looks like a really good product, OK but does change the Disco's look a bit. Is there a reason why people are choosing not to fit this product. Judging by all the plastic at the front of the Disco it seems like a good idea. Heine, Baben, Deondef,... you guys have any thoughts?

Post #21518615th Oct 2007 9:34 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Andrew

I think it has a lot to do with personal taste. My D3 is the first brand new 4X4 I have bought - the other 8 all 2nd or 3rd hand. At this stage I want to keep the vehicle as standard as possible, so I did not even fit the ladder for the roof-rack. I am also very worried about all the plastic - but the front protection plate (fitted by BRS) looks very neat and should protect most off-road "mishaps".

I can do with spots, but would rather see if I can get the standard fitted as per SE and HSE specs.

On ARB itself - I am sure it is a good product - also check with LR on air bag deployment, etc issues before fitting.

Post #21519715th Oct 2007 10:50 am
Andrew van den Heever

Thanks Deon.

I spoke to the ARB rep here who said the airbag sensors were no problem but I haven't spoken to LR. On the issue of spots, I have heard that the Xenons are so good that when you turn on the spots you can't even see them. Any idea how I can source the BRS plate here in CT?
By the way, did you see the pic of the poor sap in his Toyota getting pulled out of the mud by my Landrover this weekend (previous post)?!

Post #21520115th Oct 2007 10:59 am
Deondef

Andrew

It is actualy a Mantech plate which BRS fits. BRS website: www.brsoffroad.co.za. Tel: 011 834 4951/2.

Talk to Karl - I am sure he will be able to steer you in the right direction in Cape Town area .

Yes - saw the pic - great stuff!!! -

Post #21521315th Oct 2007 11:25 am
Andrew van den Heever

Hey Deon, thanks for the advice. I will give him a call.

Post #21521815th Oct 2007 11:31 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Andrew

I concur with Deon re the front protection plate. Seeing as most of my offroad driving is Kaokoveld style, I didn't really need much more. I don't really like the look of the steel bumpers to be honest, plus I am not sure what all that weight would do for the on-road handling either.

But - it all comes down to what your needs are and what style works for you.

On the spots - if you have the Zenon lights (SE and HSE) you would be wasting your money and time. They look great, but don't make any difference IMHO. I had huge IPF's that I removed after the accident, they didn't add any extra visibility that I could judge, but again, if you like the look, go for it. Its your dosh at the end of the day.

Post #21522215th Oct 2007 11:56 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ARB bar is compatable with the air bags, I mine put on by the dealer before I bought it.
I got one because I was always repairing the D2 front bar after reversing out of tussock grass. It also improves the approach angle. I am happy with mine, no graet effect on handling.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #21523015th Oct 2007 12:27 pm
Deondef

Baben

While on the subject - can you please give us the part numbers for the "upgrade globes" which you fitted. Is it also as simple as popping Zenon globes into the headlights (for us "S" oakes) ?

Post #21524515th Oct 2007 12:47 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Deon

I never upgraded the headlamps, these are the standard Zenon's. I think there is a thread here about upgrading, but I seem to remember it was very difficult and costly, but maybe have a trawl around the site and see.

What I upgraded were the marker lights at the front, plus the tail lights

The LED lamps for interior, rear numberplate and front corner markers are all the same. There are various suppliers I guess. The part numbers from ultraleds.co.uk are:

U5015HPW-501/194/T10 Mini Light Tower 5x WA HB - (you need 17 if you want to do the headlights, numberplate lights, and all interior and doors) There is a newer, brighter version with 9 led's but I suspect it would be too long to fit.

The stop/tail lights are from the same supplier:

U38048R (380) 48 Red stop & tail (pair) - (you need 2 pair) THese are the ones I have, but there is a new part for the stop/tail lamps, also twice as bright - U38020R Ultra Tower 380 S&T > I am not 100% sure but it looks about the same size, hence it should fit.

Let me know when you order, I need a whole bunch more.

Post #21548916th Oct 2007 6:01 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I agree with the comments on the lights, with Adaptive Xenons on full beam the six warns just light up the bonnet and the countryside around. If you are well off the beaten track you could change the direction to give a better light spread to the sides, but to the front they do not add a lot.

Lightforces/IPF HID's may well be better, but not standard fit to G4's Whistle (although they were to LR's heavily modded Def2 in LRO the other month)
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #21550316th Oct 2007 9:01 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Main reason I didn't go for a bullbar is the added weight (about 80 kg according to BRS) and the fact that I don't really feel I need it . Have one on my rangie and defender and all I've used them for is to tap the occasional taxi Twisted Evil

Post #21551016th Oct 2007 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
ARB

Hi guys, long time no speak...have been working my butt off.

I fitted the ARB because of my winch fitment(see gallery). 80kg's on top of 2.5 tonnes does not make any difference,surely?

Hein I agree, makes a great taxi bumper...have already taken out a Swazi Polo two weeks ago on witkoppen with no damage to my ARB.Polo damage R5K!

Airbag sensors do work as well.

Post #21634918th Oct 2007 11:37 am
heine

Granted that 80 kg's is not a big differance - but I've become a bit anal about weight ever since I weighed my defender and realised it now was 3.4 t because of all the extras added over the years (OK that does include the beer as well )

Post #21637918th Oct 2007 1:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew van den Heever

Heine, by the way what does the official LR bull-bar weigh. It just looks a bit kak and flimsy too. Any experience with it?

Post #21638818th Oct 2007 1:34 pm
heine

If you mean the A-Frame one speak to Baben , I think he has one. Sounds like it didn't help too much when LR parked his car in the back of some woman

Post #21641618th Oct 2007 3:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >