Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Automatic transmission hesistates when changing up into 2nd!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Automatic transmission hesistates when changing up into 2nd!

Has anyone else experienced a hesitation to change from 1st to 2nd gear at low acceleration in the auto? Sad
The hesitation only happens on slight acceleration (as when you are in stop start traffic) and only happens from 1st to 2nd....

Also...about 6months ago I noticed that my transmission was not so slick (magic carpet ride gone) at engaging second gear when I slowed into a corner (slow enough for 2nd that is), and ultimately "slapped" into 2nd when i accelerated out of the corner, resulting in a slight "thud" when it did engage 2nd gear. I explained this to the dealer and they suggested that all was well and was nothing to worry about... Crying or Very sad

Now I'm not so sure as the new problem suggests could be a more sinister prob with the transmission. BTW, there are no leaks on my driveway so perhaps fluid is OK.

Any ideas?? Big Cry
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #27113911th Mar 2008 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You could ask themn to reset it so it has to learn your style again......

May make a difference.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #27114511th Mar 2008 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

I never actually thought that the transmission could learn my style of driving as my wife often drives the car and I have my moments when I drive, "harder" than I normally would, thus confusing the crap out of the learning module...

Bodsy, have you actually seen evidence of the transmission learning your style? Question
Cheers
Moby

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #27114911th Mar 2008 9:48 pm
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Might be worth having the selector cable checked - I had a modified one (dealer description) fitted to mine when I had problems with the box finding gears.

Post #27115111th Mar 2008 9:53 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Don't know if this is what you mean, but occasionally on the 1st change up of the day, from cold when accelerating gently, mine gets to the point where it would normally change up to 2nd, but then decides to stay in 1st and revs go up another 500 or so before it changes up. It never does it again the same day, and doesn't seem to do it if I 'give it what for', but I'm pretty gentle with it from cold usually. I put it down to a combination of gentle throttle and cold (more viscous) oil in g/box, causing a less positive change up, initially. Does yours do it all the time mobyone?........ I also get the 'thud' or 'thump' you describe, and I think many others do too, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Post #27123012th Mar 2008 12:45 am
Ilmars

Latvia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Read this post to the end:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1501.html
It seems it is "feature of Disco3".
I have it too.
Gearbox reset - no changes for me.
After Gareth wrote: "The good news is that it is no worse at 90000 miles than it was at 0 miles," I am OK with it.

Post #27123412th Mar 2008 1:17 am
mobyone

OK, I can accept some slack to eliminate wind-up, but the fact remians that this wasn't so evident in the first 25,000km's and now is obvious. My reckoning is that the slip joint in the drive shafts is wearing prematurely, but I doubt LR wil ever own up to that...

As far as the hesitating when changing into 2nd goes, it only occurs when changing up and it is as though it can't find the gear, slips into neutral and then quickly into 2nd. It's not obvious as though the revs go up 1000 rpm, but you do notice a hesitation in engaging gear, again this was not present when new...

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #27123812th Mar 2008 4:44 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Do you and your wife use a key each? Or do you have one key you tend to use all the time? I seem to recall that the learning gearbox (and other aspects of car personalisation) are based on the key in use.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27129412th Mar 2008 10:24 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

might seem a stupid question,
but are all your wheels and tyres the same?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #27129712th Mar 2008 10:31 am
mobyone

ronp wrote:
might seem a stupid question,
but are all your wheels and tyres the same?

yep... same size just slightly more worn in the rear...

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #27132012th Mar 2008 11:49 am
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Automatic transmission hesistates when changing up into

mobyone wrote:
The hesitation only happens on slight acceleration (as when you are in stop start traffic) and only happens from 1st to 2nd....

Mobyone, mine does this occasionally and under the same circumstances as you quote. My theory is that "normally" the engine will have its power cut back during gearchanges to smooth the change but under very light load and low engine speed it either doesn't do this at all or it does cut the engine back but immediately applies power again to prevent a stall - and this gives the slight shunt effect.

My theory anyway.... Question
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #27132212th Mar 2008 11:56 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ronp asked if all 4 wheels are the same.

From experience when my tyre dealer fitted a 65 profile instead of a 70 the transmission goes to limp home mode on detecting the incompatibility.

Auto shifting only went to 3rd gear. the rest was manual select only, no codes, no errors,no messages. Poor dealer was confused but solved it after 2 hours of Banging Head and tyre dealer no cost replaced the tyre.

rgds
 TDV6  
Post #27133112th Mar 2008 12:22 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Had the same as you Ian, took them about half an hour to realise what had happened when I took the car back, full of fire and thunder, yelling the odds over how they'd broken my car! Twisted Evil
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27133212th Mar 2008 12:25 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yep, Ian and ND, that's what had happened to me when I put my 18" spare on, after a puncture on my 20".
Rolling radius was abviously not the same and gearbox detected it.

When it was happening, I popped into a LR dealer and discussed the issue with their Service Manager.
He saw and drove the vehicle [with the 18" wheel on] and gave me all sort of bull about selector cables.
Got my puncture repaired [elsewhere] and back on and everything was OK.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #27134312th Mar 2008 1:28 pm
mobyone

Thanks for the suggestions Ian, Ron and NoDo$h, but surely the difference in wear of the exact same tyre on all 4 corners is not going to make that difference? Is IT?? Shocked

Like I said the rears are down to about 4-5mm and the fronts are at 7mm. This means that the rolling diameter will be smaller in the rear etc etc.. but will this make a difference to caus e the transmission shift from 1st to 2nd to hesistate when accelerating slowly? I doubt it. Don't forget that shifts are Ok when accelerating at normal speed...

I'll get it checked at the next service (again) and work on my theory that if I keep whinging about a problem within the warranty period, it will be on record as a problem when it comes out of warranty....

Cheers Thumbs Up

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #27168612th Mar 2008 9:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >