Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

'Bad cell'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pompeyboy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
'Bad cell'

Just thought I'd share a recent experience in case it helps anyone else with a D4 exhibiting similar symptoms.

Several weeks ago the rear camera started not always displaying a picture, especially first thing in the morning it seemed. Then, intermittently, the thing wouldn't start with the first press of the start button - just nothing and illumination of the very helpful red warning triangle in the top right of the cluster display.

So last week I asked the dealer to check it out. They apparently checked everything - all connections etc. - and of course couldn't find anything amiss. They did take the opportunity of doing a 'software update, however. Although they had no clue what the update was for....

Anyway, faults remained. No big deal, just annoying really. Until last Sunday when we were all going somewhere important, and had to be there for a specific time (of course), and the thing had some kind of complete meltdown upon trying to start. No engine turnover, but all kinds of different warning lights flashing, clock spinning like crazy etc..

Called LR Assist who came out and immediately identified with a fancy bit of battery checking kit that it contained a 'bad cell' (that's actually what it said on the display). So, battery replaced under warranty (thank goodness) and, guess what, camera working every time and no more red warning triangles!

I just wonder why I never received any kind of 'low voltage' warning if the battery had a dead cell?

Richard
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #106328127th Feb 2013 12:02 pm
tomtom86

Strange that it didn't pre warn you! The discovery3/4 uses a massive amount of power from the battery to run all the infotainment systems etc and they can produce really strange issues when the battery starts to deplete. Glad it's all sorted though Thumbs Up

Post #107295317th Mar 2013 12:39 pm
Dave T

England 

I also had a duff cell in the battery, my only indication was it wouldn't do anything at all, barely enough power to light the interior lights but no wierd indications. Just wish these things would do something consistently for a change, we may get somewhere then!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #107300717th Mar 2013 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >