Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > eBay & Bargain Spots

Bargain Felt hybrid cycle, £300+ discount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
TheChief

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Looks excellent. Thumbs Up ...a bit clean though... Whistle

Which mud guards did you go for ? I cannot make out on the photos whether you have a bar across the chain stay to fix the guards to or not. I bought some SKS Raceblades for my Cannondale road bike and there isn't a bar across on which to fix the rear one. Big Cry In the end I went for Crud Road Racers...and they are so unobtrusive that I leave them on all year round.

Post #8333539th Sep 2011 1:05 pm
TheChief

Discotres wrote:
I just had another look at the wheels, how do you stop people nicking them as they are quick release, do you have to thread a chain around every part? Shocked

Mine are the same. When I leave mine I lock through through the frame and the back wheel. My lock isn't long enough to do both wheels and the frame...

Post #8333549th Sep 2011 1:07 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Banish the Arsene Tatters blues - I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23428

And yes, the QR wheels and seat posts are prone to hoaching, you can change them to a lockable syatem if you are going to leave it anywhere vulnerable.

Bike looks the business - it'll fly with those skinnies on!

Dex

Post #8333559th Sep 2011 1:08 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

These mud guards http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31860/CycraG...anium.html

And these lights http://www.rutlandcycling.com/30312/Cateye...t-Set.html

Thumbs Up

Post #8333569th Sep 2011 1:08 pm
Discotres

Dexter wrote:
Banish the Arsene Tatters blues - I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23428

And yes, the QR wheels and seat posts are prone to hoaching, you can change them to a lockable syatem if you are going to leave it anywhere vulnerable.

Bike looks the business - it'll fly with those skinnies on!

Dex

Wow that seat looks interesting Shocked more like a commode Rolling with laughter Will see how I get on with my budget one first, but overall do you think it was a fair price? Looking at individual parts on the net it is scary how much you could spend on a bike Shocked

I guess my bike is the limit I would leave outside a newsagents, some bikes are £1,500 or more, I would be VERY worried to leave one of them anywhere, still worried about my front wheel a couple of twists and its off Shocked Maybe I need a long tough chain of some sort and lock it to a lamp post when I leave it Wink

I have done about 5 miles this morning on those skinny tyres, but some of it was on an unmade road and you certainly feel the bumps through the tyres, wheel, frame, seat, bum hole, spine and then to the brain, Ouch! Laughing

Post #8333599th Sep 2011 1:13 pm
TheChief

Guards and lights look good. The Cateye lights in particular are a good buy at that price I think. I ride with a Cateye headlamp and it is really bright. Very often I am out in "proper dark" (country lanes of North Yorkshire) and the Cateye lights are a boon - reliable and VERY bright.

Now you just need to buy some lycra padded shorts Rolling with laughter and you are ready to roll... Thumbs Up

Post #8333609th Sep 2011 1:16 pm
Discotres

LYCRA Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wait a minute, I am just getting into this, are you trying to frighten the local public or get me nicked Shocked

This is all I could find, the winter version and summer below, seems I would be better getting winter as the weather is turning now. I don't know which would have the best padding you mention though!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #8333639th Sep 2011 1:24 pm
TheChief

I have just been sick into my mouth.

Is this more like it ?

Last edited by TheChief on 9th Sep 2011 1:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8333659th Sep 2011 1:34 pm
Discotres

Lights on now Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #8333679th Sep 2011 1:36 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:
Now how long does the sore Censored last Rolling with laughter

Not that I'm an expert on sore arses Rolling Eyes but it should only take you a week to get used to it if you go out for an hour a day.

If after 2 weeks you find that you just can't get on with the saddle or if it actually causes pain instead of just aches and a bit of numbness, then get a decent (i.e. not bargain basement) and normal sized gel-based saddle. Don't get one of those huge, over-sized, wrap-around saddle-cushions that they sell as apart from not working very well, you'll look incredibly Censored stupid. Wink

Dexter wrote:
One suggestion would be to get some Slime filled tubes as the hybrid tyres are more prone to puncture on loose tracks. A small weight penalty which is far outweighed by saving the hassle of fixing frequent punctures.

A very good suggestion Thumbs Up . Since I put Slime tubes in mine (they're cheap) I haven't had a single puncture since...touch wood (or maybe I have, but it sealed itself before I realised).

TheChief wrote:
Also, how refreshing to hear someone say they DONT want suspension or a mountain bike for riding on the road. There are loads of people I know that commute on a mountain bike and are knackered when they get to work.

Hmm....maybe they were knackered, but due to this they would also be getting fitter Whistle

Actually - I agree that for a purely road-based commuting bike suspension is not really necessary and also adds unnecessary cost, weight and complications .... although I think it's more to do with the knobbly tyres used on MTBs that causes fatigue when on the road rather than the extra 2-3kg that the suspension adds...

But....

Discotres wrote:
I have done about 5 miles this morning on those skinny tyres, but some of it was on an unmade road and you certainly feel the bumps through the tyres, wheel, frame, seat, bum hole, spine and then to the brain, Ouch! Laughing

This type of bike isn't made for this type of track/road and I'm not surprised you felt every bump. You'll knacker your back, hips, wrists and possibly your bike if you ride it on this type of road on a regular basis Thumbs Up

Joking aside, the bike is good for the money if you are clear about the use you want to give it. Don't bother costing up individual parts because the manufacturers can buy them at half the RRP anyway. The components are entry-level spec, but branded and of good quality so should last a long time if regularly cared for.

If you use QR wheels then you ideally need to use 3 locks - each wheel to the frame and then the frame to the lamp-post (passing through the seat rails if possible). It's a pain to carry this amount of crap with you though, however the idea of lugging around 10kg of chain is not practical either.

The front light is a good one Thumbs Up The rear light would be more useful/discreet if you could rotate it 90° to be in line with the seatpost (although you'd have to check if the LEDs are angled first). Also if the rear light has different flash modes, then only use the always-on (although it's bad for battery life) or the slow flash. The F1 style 2Ghz fast flashes are even more annoying and the up-down patterns are not far behind Laughing

Now stop fannying around and get out there and enjoy it 8)
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #8333909th Sep 2011 3:12 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Off Topic

If you're in any doubt as to how much the front suspension has to deal with when off-the-beaten-track, just have a look at this video (not mine) from one of the easier tracks in Collserola National Park in Barcelona (where I usually go riding at the crack of dawn at the weekend)

http://vimeo.com/7438178

Although the front fork gets in the way of the camera (GoPro Hero I think), the fixed point makes you appreciate the hammering that the front shocker gets, the video is pretty mesmerising when you consider the speed that's involved (they've got bigger balls than me though Embarassed I still take 3 times longer to go down and that's when I'm going "scary fast" and mostly out of control Laughing )
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #8333969th Sep 2011 3:25 pm
Discotres

Fantastic Paul Thumbs Up if I had seen that before buying mine I would have gone for front suspension as it was weighing up the pros of having it, as we have seen, and weight as I have 3 cycles and a motorbike on the back of my motorhome and weight needs to be considered Thumbs Up

This is the other one I looked with front suspension (same price), a great price but more Mountain than road cycle track use I will be needing Wink

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/7401/Dawes-X...--18-.html

This is the sales blurb on mine the Felt QX85 "Go from road to dirt without missing a beat. With a lightweight double-butted aluminum frame and quality, dependable parts, the QX85 is built for adventure.

Equally capable on back road cruises or backcountry explorations, it features Shimano Rapid Fire trigger shifters and powerful hydraulic disc brakes for maximum control in all conditions."

I must say it did help in my decision, I will just have to see if it lives up to its 'blurb'. Off for a cycling weekend now, so should be well and truly sore by Monday Rolling with laughter

For the person that said the rear light would be better in line with the saddle post, thanks for that I just checked and as it's fitting is square it goes either way, I just fitted the child seat and it would only fit that way anyway Thumbs Up

Post #8334369th Sep 2011 5:46 pm
Discotres

Problem getting my leg over, even against a wall

As some will know I have just bought a new hybrid bike, my old one was a 20" frame but I was told for my height 6', that on the new one I should have a 55cm frame which I bought. Anyway, I have been cycling around on it today with a baby seat fixed on the back, the problem I find is trying to get my leg over the bar as the seat restricts the swinging leg over the seat, with the weight of the child it is very hard as you tilt the bike it starts to fall at the back, getting off is worse as you have to ensure your heal doesn't catch the crossbar or you end up Censored over tit. I have tried it against a wall but that has it's own problems, a stand is no good as that just rotates the falling rear weight, I had to ask someone to hold it for me today which was embarrassing and spoiled the enjoyment, maybe I need some leg over exercises Laughing

Any parents with suggestions appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #83365910th Sep 2011 4:12 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

as for locking them up if the chain/cable isnt long enough for both wheels just release the front, place it next to the rear and lock both up at the same time Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #83367410th Sep 2011 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >