Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > eBay & Bargain Spots

Bargain Felt hybrid cycle, £300+ discount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Bargain Felt hybrid cycle, £300+ discount

I have just bought a Felt QX85 cycle at a bargain price, OK not an Orange, but a great value starter bike for mainly on and some off road, not many left so be quick if you want to get fit Very Happy

All other stores are selling them at £725, so at £414 plus free delivery its a great price, they have some others as well in their clearance, seems they bought a job lot of the last 2011 cycles as the 2012 models are about to be launched, I'm not vain so 2011 will do me Thumbs Up

Hope it helps someone Wink

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/30986/Felt-Q...-Bike.html

Post #8320656th Sep 2011 10:31 am
Dave

United Kingdom 

Looks a great buy and would be interested if I did not have a huge expense looming. The spec seems to represent a lot of value for money, but I am no expert on the things.
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #8321606th Sep 2011 3:48 pm
Discotres

I'm no expert either, I have read on here about the ultimate Orange bikes but my budget won't stretch to one of those, plus most of my biking is on cycle paths and road where a true mountain bike could be hard going, it's all a bit of a compromise spec and money wise, but does seem a cracking deal, I will update when I receive it and have tried it out Thumbs Up

Post #8321766th Sep 2011 4:17 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think for the price it's not a bad bike at all assuming that you only want it for commuting and cycle paths etc Thumbs Up . The components are all entry level spec, but all decent enough brands.

But.....I certainly don't think it's worth the full RRP of £725 Shocked . For this price you can get a much better bike, however if you don't want to venture off the back stuff (as the OP stated) then for £400 it looks a pretty good buy.

Saying this....For 40 quid less, I think something like this could be a good alternative and be more foregiving if you want to go down bridleways and forest tracks:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specia...e-ec024137
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #8322136th Sep 2011 5:11 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Can't go wrong with the Hardrock, and it's Orange! Whistle

Post #8322956th Sep 2011 7:30 pm
Discotres

I looked at that one but was put off by the weight, I guess it is the forks suspension that add the weight, also like the idea of hydraulic brakes Very Happy

Another I looked at was this Dawes, but again it had the suspension forks which I didn't want but seemed a fair price http://www.rutlandcycling.com/7401/Dawes-X...--18-.html

Post #8323096th Sep 2011 7:58 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

All the cool kids are on fixies - £329 & pretend you're the next Graham Obree...

Since this is also the eBay forum, feast your minces on this bargain bike. Thankfully unique.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #8323146th Sep 2011 8:10 pm
Discotres

Bike arrived yesterday in a 'flat box' Shocked

Anyway I took it out and it seemed pretty easy to work out what went where, handle bars straightened, front wheel on and disc brake mechanism fitted, seat and post inserted, pedals put in ensuring correct left and right, tyres pumped up and off I go Very Happy

I watched a youtube clip on setting up the bike correctly, I must admt in all my years I have never gone to the trouble of doing this but it does only take 20mins or so and is well worth it, it includes saddle height and position on under seat rails and handle bar position Thumbs Up

I must say after riding it it is a stunning piece of engineering as with other modern bikes compared to my old bike, everything seems precision especially gearing and brakes, I can't wait to give it a good run as with so many gears it will be a breeze. My only concern was the hybrid tyres, I am used to chunkier tyres, these look like slicks on the running surface with grip on the sides, will be a bit nervous on my first wet day, but I am sure it will be fine Thumbs Up

Post #8333179th Sep 2011 10:59 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Sounds good, Felt is a respected bike company on the continent if a little unknown in UK.

Having owned a bike shop in the past, at the height of the mountain bike boom, I would agree that the correct fit is essential, more fundamentally important than all the fancy equipment specifications that usually swing the decision.

It's a pity you couldn't support a local bike shop at the time of purchase which would have done all this for you, but I understand that the bottom line is always forefront these days.

Hope you continue to enjoy and you will see a massive increase in fitness and thus enjoymnet in a short space of time, even just getting out 2 or 3 times a week.

One suggestion would be to get some Slime filled tubes as the hybrid tyres are more prone to puncture on loose tracks. A small weight penalty which is far outweighed by saving the hassle of fixing frequent punctures.

Dex

Post #8333269th Sep 2011 11:42 am
TheChief

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:
My only concern was the hybrid tyres, I am used to chunkier tyres, these look like slicks on the running surface with grip on the sides, will be a bit nervous on my first wet day, but I am sure it will be fine Thumbs Up

I ride a road bike with 700c 23 "slick" tyres and have never had trouble in the wet. Only time I have come off it was slipping on some oil.

For what its worth, my son rides a Felt (Q24 - mountain bike) and I think it is excellent. Fantastic frame, good welds, good components and looks great too.

Also, how refreshing to hear someone say they DONT want suspension or a mountain bike for riding on the road. There are loads of people I know that commute on a mountain bike and are knackered when they get to work.

I am sure that you are going to enjoy riding your new steed.

Post #8333309th Sep 2011 11:59 am
Discotres

Thanks Dexter Thumbs Up Just been out on it, it is a dream compared to old technology and with thoughtful use of gears fantastic to ride.

In truth only the frame and a few other bits including believe or not the tyres are Felt own brand, the rest is Shimano and other well known kit, so I guess it is just the way the parts are selected and put together that make a great bike. I am sure all modern bikes in that price range will be just as good, as I said at the start I am no expert but I think I could get the bug for it, I went on budget and seem to have found a great deal as pricing up a few of the parts without seat, frame, wheels tyres and other bits retailed at £300 on their own, the whole bike was £414 all in with delivery Thumbs Up

As for my local cycle shop, I went there but they are undergoing a refurbd and had no hydrid cycles, they seem to sell more commuting sit up and beg and MTB's they were helpful and offered to help me set it up but it is't rocket science with the aid of Youtube, just takes a little patience Laughing

Now how long does the sore Censored last Rolling with laughter

Post #8333319th Sep 2011 11:59 am
Discotres

TheChief wrote:
Discotres wrote:
My only concern was the hybrid tyres, I am used to chunkier tyres, these look like slicks on the running surface with grip on the sides, will be a bit nervous on my first wet day, but I am sure it will be fine Thumbs Up

I ride a road bike with 700c 23 "slick" tyres and have never had trouble in the wet. Only time I have come off it was slipping on some oil.

For what its worth, my son rides a Felt (Q24 - mountain bike) and I think it is excellent. Fantastic frame, good welds, good components and looks great too.

Also, how refreshing to hear someone say they DONT want suspension or a mountain bike for riding on the road. There are loads of people I know that commute on a mountain bike and are knackered when they get to work.

I am sure that you are going to enjoy riding your new steed.

My tyres are 700 37c if that makes sense, I am getting used to them but before that I had a Dahon Jack folding full size cycle, a great bit of kit as well and now donated to my wife, but limited gear wise and worried about kid in the chair on the back, didn't want it folding up whilst bombing along with kid on back Shocked

Post #8333349th Sep 2011 12:02 pm
TheChief

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:

My tyres are 700 37c if that makes sense, I am getting used to them but before that I had a Dahon Jack folding full size cycle, a great bit of kit as well and now donated to my wife, but limited gear wise and worried about kid in the chair on the back, didn't want it folding up whilst bombing along with kid on back Shocked

37s - they are almost as wide as the tyres on my disco Rolling with laughter but they will give you confidence cornering in the wet. And much less rolling resistance than mtb tyres. I think that you do have yourself a good bike at that price.

Post #8333379th Sep 2011 12:19 pm
Discotres

Here are some pics for people to look at and those with experience to check over and see if I got £414's worth incl delivery and whether I have built it correctly Very Happy Everything is it came except the drink botlte and holder and cycle pump holder, lights and titanium coloured mud guards have just been delivered by postman, so off to fit them Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #8333429th Sep 2011 12:36 pm
Discotres

I just had another look at the wheels, how do you stop people nicking them as they are quick release, do you have to thread a chain around every part? Shocked

Post #8333509th Sep 2011 12:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >