DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

battery drain (parasitic)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
battery drain (parasitic)

hi
after recovering from my earlier illness I have now done three battery drain test and have seen to come to some strange conclusion what's causing it .
the test were done with the doors open and door catches closed,the bonnet catches also closed and everything else off and the car double locked (two presses of the fob) left the car for 30 minutes on each occasion ten minutes longer than the suggested 20 minutes by robbie(thank for your great write up on the subject)and a fully charged battery on each test.
the batteries in use are less than 5 months old and been bench tested for holding there charge (one 13.6v for three weeks the other 12.95v for two weeks)

I have used a clamp on meter and two multimeters (see pictures) and you can see that the drain is not sufficient 0.02ma and 0.01ma on the multimeter and .50ma on the clamp,recommended 20ma to 30ma I believe
first question is I could not find the bonnet switch as described by Robbie so I locked the bonnet down by pushing down the bonnet clamps manually this must work as the car would not lock,would this make any difference to the voltage at the meters.

second question is I have found out of I leave the car unlocked obviously with everything turned off the battery(13v) will lose sufficient charge over two days ,three on these hotter days and will need recharging drops to (12.43v)
If I lock the car with a double click of the fob the battery will be fine for 5/6 days (drops from 13v to 12.65v.)
Thirdly if I lock the car with one press of the fob the car alarm goes off every 20 minutes or so which obviously is not right and therefore cannot do a proper test on the battery .

so my assumption is that leaving the car unlocked there is something draining the battery and it makes me wonder if it's all down to the alarm trying to keep arming itself and like wise when locking the car with one press of the alarm.

all the fuses have been tested with the multimeter across the two pins (what a nightmare for the ones hidden behind the glove box) and with the pull out the fuse method method and have found no voltage drop or increase whatsoever on all three test (two with the clamp method and one the old fashioned way with the battery jumper cables and fuse pulling).

long winded and a bit muddled so I expect some flack but advice and suggestion would be great

Pete

Post #214029522nd Apr 2020 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell but know of the road to recovery

Have also been through this

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/heelllllp-b...tery+drain

Ref the removal of fuses whilst testing , I have seen it’s not a good idea to remove them as u can wake the system back up

Also the alarm going off , the bonnet switch is on the left hand side as u look at it, Ur see the connector which after removal u can link the connector out with a paper clip

Also included a chart , should be under 22Ma

Have u added anything , ie dashcam or accessories

Originally bought an exide battery and that would last around 2 x weeks, now have an 019 yuasa and that lasts around 6 x Weeks

Personally think u need to resolve the alarm issue first and to then go through the fuses, I made up some leads as u can see in my link

I’m cable tied some leads together to make life easier Testing the glove box fuses

So personally would start , linking the bonnet switch out , leave bonnet up , then close all the doors And windows , alarm it with a single press , Ensuring u don’t get the single horn sound , wait 30 x mins And see what ur M/amps u have

If there’s anyway I can help plse feel feel free to give me a shout , also plenty here with a vast amount of knowledge if u get stuck

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 22nd Apr 2020 12:24 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #214031122nd Apr 2020 10:00 am
gstuart

Also When using ur multimeter , is best to go from the red lead on ur fuse box and then other lead to ground

But did also find using a clamp meter easier

If u unbolt that red lead on ur fuse box and goes to the battery upside down ur find it easier to get ur clamp meter onto it

Post #214031522nd Apr 2020 10:04 am
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, your pictures are quite small, but from what I can see your clamp meter is showing 0.55A which is 550ma not 0.55ma... similar for your multimeter, it seems to show 0.02A, which is 20ma.

Not sure what you're measuring when you talk about the voltage across the fuses ?

If you remove a fuse, you could measure the current that would be drawn through it by inserting your meter in place on the ma or A range..

Thx

Mat
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #214033222nd Apr 2020 10:57 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

A fuse can be thought of as a resistor. Therefore if current is flowing thru it there will be a small voltage drop across it. And that is what you are measuring. That's the theory anyway.

OP - I suggest you leave the car unlocked, wait 20 mins+ and repeat the test measuring things under the bonnet.

A) See what drain you get at the battery.
B) see if you can identify a large fuse under the bonnet in which most of the current found in test A is passing

Post #214034322nd Apr 2020 12:15 pm
matgriff

Quote:
A fuse can be thought of as a resistor. Therefore if current is flowing thru it there will be a small voltage drop across it. And that is what you are measuring. That's the theory anyway.

Hi, theory well understood... however the resistance of the fuse will be negligible, especially as measured with a multi meter, who's leads will have a much higher resistance than the fuse Smile

Basically in practical terms, the resistance of the fuse will be so small, coupled with the tiny parasitic current passing though the fuse in this condition, the volts drop will be sod all... in the area of micro volts, ie not measurable with a DVM.

Additionally to be able to calculate the current in the circuit by measuring the volts drop across the fuse, you would have to know the actual resistance of the fuse, which you don't know.

I=V/R

Mat
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #214037322nd Apr 2020 2:07 pm
Trucks

Click image to enlarge

I thank you all for your thoughts and advice which truly will be taken on board
The system of fuse removal surely would be fine if the system is set up correctly ie disconnect the battery earth put ,two jumper cables going to the battery and battery clamp (obviously not touching each other )attach your multimeter lock your car which you can as mentioned with the door locks pushed across with a screwdriver and bonnet catches closed( I will try again to remove the bonnet wire and short it across as advised and will use one click of the fob) wait for the car to go to sleep then remove the jumper cables from one end either the battery terminal or the battery clamp makes no difference then all the battery use is going through the multimeter which should be negligible if there is a high reading which could be intermittent by the way (so take that on board when diagnosing these things a high reading then nothing, five minutes later or less or even longer there is a high reading again).
Then by removing the fuse that is drawing the current you will see the reading drop immediately then locate what that fuse is .
I know you will say that removing the fuse could wake things up but as the car is sound asleep or should be it won't even know you are there tinkering with it, apparently this was the correct procedure before the introduction of the multi use clamp.
All this is not my thoughts but what I have learned being laid up for two months from days of reading and utube vids and believe me there us some useless and totally constradictive information out there.
After all said the meter clamp is the way forward and I could not get any readings via my multimeter by testing across the fuses .
As mentioned perhaps I need to sort my alarm out first but God knows how to do that ,I thought the first press was the main alarm and was set to feel any pressure drop in the car so would set itself off and the second press was to disarm that sensor and just relied door being locked.
I also take on board the use of the multimeter being used on the cable to the fuse box and using an earth on the car..
Also as for closing all the doors I could not access the fuse box on the passenger side hence leaving the door open but the catch closed and the door locked .
I do like the long testing leads for the fuse box on the passenger side bloody stupid place to have them there anyway.
As regards to the readings I must admit I am a bit wayward on the actual reading like 0.02 and 0.01 also clamp meter .055 I thought they were mlliamps and the recommended was 30 to 50 m/a on the D3 so I thought wrongly as it sems that I was just outside the recommended allowance by the clamp meter and inside with the multimeter.
Need to learn about basic car electrics I guess learnt loads already and still learning .
Lastly (I know blah blah blah)
Today I was at it again with the meteres and see the attached pictures they all read different readings doing the same task a simple battery check,just makes me wonder about all my test what the Tru results are.
Two readings are close but one is wa y off so I guess the the meteres which read the closest are the most reliable ,is there such a thing as a multimeter, multimeter tester ?

Thank you all.

Post #214039422nd Apr 2020 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
matgriff

Hi, I would expect those relatively cheap multimeters to have an accuracy of less than 1% on that 20v range, ie +-0.2v so the results you're seeing are probably within the tolerance of the meters.

Regarding your comment on the fact you couldn't measure any voltage accross the fuse, see my previous post.

Also, if you're trying to measure very small currents, down in the 20-30ma range, then that clamp on meter won't be much use. Use the multimeter in series with the battery lead on the correct range, note that if you try and pull any significant load on the circuit when the meter is connected you'll at the very least blow the fuse in the meter (if it has one) or worst blow the meter up.

Mat
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #214040122nd Apr 2020 3:35 pm
Trucks

Yes they are cheap and basically they were used for my carp fishing when away in France to check the status of the boat batteries
But the cost of a decent meter is beyond me and to honest I have never had the use of one untill this disco started the battery discharge issue.
Yes thanks I am aware of the dangers of the meter blowing the fuse or melting seen this once.
It's a shame about this issue as the car has been maintained to a high standard throughout its life in including the paintwork I just can abide things when they don't work as they should and to honest I cannot to have a dealer look at it so I will persevere and I am sure it will get sorted.
Something simple I reckon
Ps someone asked if there are any aftermarket units fitted and there are none,nothing that's was not fitted when first built.
I will upload some pictures of the car when finished giving it a good clean after the winters mud and sh-t.
Meant to add as well the car has a full length glass tinted roof is that unusual and specially ordered at the factory.?
Thanks all
Pete

Post #214041622nd Apr 2020 4:15 pm
gstuart

Trucks wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I thank you all for your thoughts and advice which truly will be taken on board
The system of fuse removal surely would be fine if the system is set up correctly ie disconnect the battery earth put ,two jumper cables going to the battery and battery clamp (obviously not touching each other )attach your multimeter lock your car which you can as mentioned with the door locks pushed across with a screwdriver and bonnet catches closed( I will try again to remove the bonnet wire and short it across as advised and will use one click of the fob) wait for the car to go to sleep then remove the jumper cables from one end either the battery terminal or the battery clamp makes no difference then all the battery use is going through the multimeter which should be negligible if there is a high reading which could be intermittent by the way (so take that on board when diagnosing these things a high reading then nothing, five minutes later or less or even longer there is a high reading again).
Then by removing the fuse that is drawing the current you will see the reading drop immediately then locate what that fuse is .
I know you will say that removing the fuse could wake things up but as the car is sound asleep or should be it won't even know you are there tinkering with it, apparently this was the correct procedure before the introduction of the multi use clamp.
All this is not my thoughts but what I have learned being laid up for two months from days of reading and utube vids and believe me there us some useless and totally constradictive information out there.
After all said the meter clamp is the way forward and I could not get any readings via my multimeter by testing across the fuses .
As mentioned perhaps I need to sort my alarm out first but God knows how to do that ,I thought the first press was the main alarm and was set to feel any pressure drop in the car so would set itself off and the second press was to disarm that sensor and just relied door being locked.
I also take on board the use of the multimeter being used on the cable to the fuse box and using an earth on the car..
Also as for closing all the doors I could not access the fuse box on the passenger side hence leaving the door open but the catch closed and the door locked .
I do like the long testing leads for the fuse box on the passenger side bloody stupid place to have them there anyway.
As regards to the readings I must admit I am a bit wayward on the actual reading like 0.02 and 0.01 also clamp meter .055 I thought they were mlliamps and the recommended was 30 to 50 m/a on the D3 so I thought wrongly as it sems that I was just outside the recommended allowance by the clamp meter and inside with the multimeter.
Need to learn about basic car electrics I guess learnt loads already and still learning .
Lastly (I know blah blah blah)
Today I was at it again with the meteres and see the attached pictures they all read different readings doing the same task a simple battery check,just makes me wonder about all my test what the Tru results are.
Two readings are close but one is wa y off so I guess the the meteres which read the closest are the most reliable ,is there such a thing as a multimeter, multimeter tester ?

Thank you all.

Hi

Just quickly , u want ur multimeter set to DC amps not volts , then use ur meter probes across the fuses

Ref multimeter in-line for some reason I couldn’t get it to work like that

Personally the way I did was

I started with everything shut apart from the bonnet , then linked out the bonnet catch

Set the alarm with a single press, waited 30 mins

Then set my meter to amps DC and went across each and Every fuse, had pen and paper so could write done what they were

Larger fuses u can remove the clear part of them , but did make up tests leads in the end for them

Found the 50 amp fuses were drawing more than the rest , can’t remember which one

I tried pulling a fuse and it woke the system up , each and very time

For the passenger fuse box I applied the catch and double pressed the alarm and waited another 30 x mins

Alas that’s how I did it and in the end found the electric seat module was pulling the amps causing the battery to drain quickly

Here’s also a video plus a lot of info and some from very knowledgeable forum members Which I hope helps in finding the drain

Just go one by one in the engine fuse box, then same with the passenger fuse box,

Plse let us know how u get on

Post #214041822nd Apr 2020 4:29 pm
gstuart

matgriff wrote:
Hi, I would expect those relatively cheap multimeters to have an accuracy of less than 1% on that 20v range, ie +-0.2v so the results you're seeing are probably within the tolerance of the meters.

Regarding your comment on the fact you couldn't measure any voltage accross the fuse, see my previous post.

Also, if you're trying to measure very small currents, down in the 20-30ma range, then that clamp on meter won't be much use. Use the multimeter in series with the battery lead on the correct range, note that if you try and pull any significant load on the circuit when the meter is connected you'll at the very least blow the fuse in the meter (if it has one) or worst blow the meter up.

Mat

Hi

Did notice the op has the meters set to volts, personally when I done mine I set it to dc amps then went across the fuses

Took ages to finally finding the draw, I had fitted some elec seats and found the memory module was the culprit , bought a non memory seat switch and made up a completely new seat loom and fixed the issue

Don’t know why but my meters in series wouldn’t work, couldn’t get any reading

Wasn’t a 5 x min job that’s for sure Thumbs Up

Post #214041922nd Apr 2020 4:37 pm
matgriff

Quote:

Just quickly , u want ur multimeter set to DC amps not volts , then use ur meter probes across the fuses

Ref multimeter in-line for some reason I couldn’t get it to work like that

If you put your meter on the current range (Amps) and put it across a fuse that isn't blown, you'll measure nothing.. the current will flow through the fuse and not through the parallel meter. If you were to put the meter across a blown fuse, (with the fuse body still in situ) then you are in effect completing the circuit with the meter and you'll measure the current drawn by the circuit...but beware, you now have no fuse, so any fault current will blow the meter fuse or meter .

By the way, I'm not trying to be a tw**t here, or a smart ass... I'm just trying to help, I'm a power electronics design engineer, this is the type of stuff I do every day Smile I'd like to pay back some of the help & advice I've got from others on the forum

Cheap meters are absolutely fine for general automotive use, just don't pay too much attention to the absolute accuracy, you don't need it anyway.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Last edited by matgriff on 22nd Apr 2020 4:43 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #214042122nd Apr 2020 4:40 pm
gstuart

As a side note these We’re the meters I used for various testing , inc the leads I made up

Post #214042222nd Apr 2020 4:40 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

matgriff wrote:
Quote:

Hi, theory well understood... however the resistance of the fuse will be negligible, especially as measured with a multi meter, who's leads will have a much higher resistance than the fuse Smile

Basically in practical terms, the resistance of the fuse will be so small, coupled with the tiny parasitic current passing though the fuse in this condition, the volts drop will be sod all... in the area of micro volts, ie not measurable with a DVM.

Additionally to be able to calculate the current in the circuit by measuring the volts drop across the fuse, you would have to know the actual resistance of the fuse, which you don't know.

I=V/R

Mat

If you goto the link provided by gstuart, there is a table, where someone has gone to the trouble of working out the resistance and then what every volt translates to in milli amps for every value of fuse!

Click image to enlarge

A clamp meter is sufficiently accurate to show the difference between a good car and one which flattens batteries within a few days. Remember your lookin for a significant difference. Best to always zero the clamp before starting.

I wouldn't recommend using a meter in series with the battery on these cars. These car will draw 10A at start up and a lot of meters are only rated to 10A. (some 20)

Use the clamp meter.

Last edited by Pete K on 22nd Apr 2020 4:47 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #214042322nd Apr 2020 4:41 pm
Trucks

Thanks very much and I will indeed keep all informed of my ongoing saga it's to hot now 32° believe or not in the drive where the car is kept and 28°on the rear car park.
So it will be early morning start.
Pete

Post #214042422nd Apr 2020 4:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >