Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

BG08 HSE "G4 spec" Atacama Sand
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
John Salter

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
BG08 HSE "G4 spec" Atacama Sand

Can anyone help me with the history of the D3 that I have just bought. It is a BG08 HSE, Atacama Sand/Tundra leather, with the full "G4" kit fitted. According to what I have found out, there appears to be have been at least six built. There is a picture of one if you search "BG08" on this site.
The only history I can fill in, is:-
8/4/08 Delivery Vehicle Ops Gaydon
30/6/08 Receipt from Namibia?
6/7/08 7885 miles Fuel Filter changed
18/9/09 10845 miles Service at Gaydon
11/09? 18126 miles Sold at closed auction to Roger Young (Saltash)

It appears to have had two periods of high mileage, may/june 2008 andsept/oct 2009.

The receipt from Namibia concerns the passage? of 16 RSA (South Africa) , 16 UK people and nine vehicles at Swakopmund/Sprinbokwasser in Namibia.

The salesman at Roger Young said he thought it was a 09 model as some of the electrics were not fitted to 08 models.
It is also fitted with D4 19" seven spoke split alloys.
It has had the third row of seats removed and a sliding floor fitted.

Any info would be appreciated, John S

PS How do I post images?

Post #5619318th Dec 2009 10:57 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi John, a very warm welcome.

Your D3 sounds very interesting, hopefully we can help dig up its history Smile

Please follow the links below to add photos:

Creating a Photo Album and Uploading Pictures
Posting a Gallery Picture in the Forum

If you need any more help do let me know Thumbs Up
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #5619378th Dec 2009 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

United Kingdom 

Prince Harry was on an African Exped with G4 kitted silver (maybe atacama too?) Discos when he returned from Afghan IIRC. I may well be wrong of course!

EDIT, found this: not very detailed though
http://www.electricmail.co.za/template_level2.asp?parentseq=18687

Quote:
The Blues and Royals regiment of the British Army's Household Cavalry recently spent nine weeks as part of its “adventure training” programme in Africa.

The 30-member team arrived in South Africa at the beginning of June, and the ensuing five weeks were spent in and out of a fleet of nine Land Rover Discoverys as they travelled through Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and back to South Africa.

This initiative also has a very strong humanitarian component together with the UK's Burnaby Blue Foundation, a charity organisation that has previously conducted humanitarian missions in Poland, Romania and Azerbaijan.

Humanitarian funding was provided by the Burnaby Blue Foundation in conjunction with Sentebale, a charity founded by 23-year-old Prince Harry, who is a lieutenant in the Blues and Royals regiment.

According to expedition leader Major Tom Archer-Burton, the first leg of the journey was a true adventure for most of the British Army crew, who had never been to Africa or seen wildlife first-hand.

“The Southern African route we selected was chosen specifically because it was the most arduous and severe we could find,” Archer-Burton explained. “Considering the extremely difficult terrain we encountered, it’s remarkable that we didn’t experience a single problem with any of the Discoverys throughout the 16 500km covered.”

Land Rover UK sent three technical people on this expedition, but they needed to do no more than check the oil and clean the air filters, such was the competence, performance and reliability of the Discovery in some of the most difficult terrain.

Land Rover South Africa was tasked with technical and parts supply logistics for the duration of the trip – a requirement that ultimately wasn't called on.

Post #5619498th Dec 2009 11:27 am
SN

Re: BG08 HSE "G4 spec" Atacama Sand

John Salter wrote:
It is also fitted with D4 19" seven spoke split alloys.
Those were fitted to the MY09 D3's
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5620018th Dec 2009 1:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John Salter

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I have now searched Prince Harry/Namibia/2008 on Google, and am slightly more confused. There is a report on the Zambian Land Rover site about a 16500km trip across South Africa with 9 D3s and 29 to 33 people depending on which report you read. This would tie in with the date and number of vehicles/people on the Namibia receipt I found. This would also tie in with the service that was done at Gaydon at 10845 miles which is close to 16500kms.

The confusion is that there is a picture of one of the D3s on the LR website and it is Silver, but according to the DVLA website it is Gold (Atacama Sand in LR speak). I have just looked under the bonnet of mine, and the code is LR916 and states Atacama Sand.

The search continues.

Post #5621558th Dec 2009 8:09 pm
NJF

It's on this site. Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic28606.h...ince+harry

Post #5621608th Dec 2009 8:12 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nice find, and cracking bit of history on that car Bow down
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5621648th Dec 2009 8:17 pm
Captain Slow

Hi, join the club! i have one of them too! there were 9 originally and there was a feature in one life magazine at about the time of the expedition.

cheers John
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #5622358th Dec 2009 9:41 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Interesting colour,
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #5623339th Dec 2009 12:37 am
DrLex

Iceland 

discocuzzy wrote:
Interesting colour,

Indeed; there's one I see often down here. A couple of shade lighter than Jewish Racing Gold that was popular a few years back.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5623469th Dec 2009 6:58 am
Captain Slow

it looks much better in day light than the photos suggest. it's more sand than gold Very Happy BTW thet were originally fitted with standard HSE wheels and MTRs, although when i picked mine up the MTRs had been replaced with Goodyear Wranglers and the rear load guard was missing. I have installed the rear guard again, but will get some miles on the wranglers while i wait to see if General Grabber produce 19" AT2s, before deciding what to do. Apparently we should know in just a few weeks Smile
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #5623489th Dec 2009 7:20 am
Ken

UJ1996 wrote:
General Grabber produce 19" AT2s, before deciding what to do. Apparently we should know in just a few weeks Smile

Why have tyres that have sidewalls softer than baby Poo (although they do look nice) me function over form and ATR is the why forward over all the other 19" choices

Post #5623519th Dec 2009 7:34 am
John Salter

Click image to enlarge

BG08 at the seaside.
Further info, 2 of the 9 D3s were kitted out to be used as ambulances, maybe this is the reason that the third row of seats have been removed and the sliding floor fitted?
The wheels fitted are the same as on the LR website "build your LR D4"

Post #5623819th Dec 2009 9:08 am
Duncan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

And I have BG08 EHP ! Bought it last Friday funnily enough with 11660 miles on the clock, is it safe to assume that its also 1 of the 9? There is another guy in MK with one I believe, as he caused quite a stir at Stratstones when he jumped into his car after it had been serviced, and the guy in Sales thought he was knicking my car which had just had a valet and made ready for collection !!! Laughing
 When I die I want it to be in my sleep, like my Grandad ............ not screaming and shouting like his passengers!!  
Post #56708818th Dec 2009 3:26 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Hey Duncan, I saw your car in Stratstones i think last Friday afternoon 8) when I was collecting mine after a brake re-call.
By the way, were you at Mercedes Benz Trucks in Stonebridge this morning, as I saw one from my office window about 10ish

Chris Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #56710218th Dec 2009 4:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >