Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bleeding Brakes - no pedal..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
EdF

Scotland 2006 LR3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldLR3
Bleeding Brakes - no pedal..

Just replaced the servo and master cylinder after loss of pedal and 'pumping up'. Assumed master cylinder fault as no leaks anywhere. Straightforward job, apart from finding engine oil in the servo. I assume that was a legacy from the recall when the new suction pipework and vacuum pump were fitted as the original set-up pulled oil into the servo, I've been told, but the dealer didn't check the servo. It was still holding it's vacuum. There was no oil in the servo suction pipework and it was definitely engine oil. (It's a 2005 D3 with 46k on the clock.) The end of the master cylinder where it fitted in the servo was bone dry.
Anyway, I've bled it twice using new brake fluid and an Easibleed at 15psi, very little air came out, just a few bubbles. There's new fluid at every caliper, still no pedal to speak of. I believe there's air in the system still as I can't think of any other explanation, but how do I shift it? More or less pressure in the Easibleed?
Any replies very gratefully received!!
 Make the most of this life, you may not have a Landy or skis in the next one.
2xS3, 1xD1, 3xD2, 2xD3, 2x110, 2x90TDi, 4x90V8, 4x90TD5.
Now: Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG, D3 auto gold.
That's the wife's toyboy. 

Post #113449022nd Jul 2013 10:20 am
Paddi

United Kingdom 

According to the workshop manual - if air is introduced to components at the 'upstream' servo/master/cylinder/ABS module end of the system (as you would inevitably do when changing parts) then the dealer software tool has to be used to set something (valves?) before bleeding is done. Don't know if other tools can do it but no doubt one of the experts will be along in a mo to tell you.

Post #113450322nd Jul 2013 11:02 am
EdF

Thanks for that. I have the workshop manusl on CD and thr bleeding procedure was routine. Also, I did a search in the maintenance section before I posted and a guy had done the same job with no bleeding problems... so a bit confused now and will seek more advice. Food for thought and if you're right more than a bit awkward. Later....
Just bled it twice more the old way. Got some more air out but no better. Pedal pumps up but then slowly floors, exactly as it did before the new servo and m.cylinder, which to me points to some other fault but no leaks obvious. Can a caliper leak inside? Very perplexed. About to call stealer re your suggestion..

Post #113451522nd Jul 2013 11:59 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does the pedal cteep to the floor with the engine on or off?

If the latter, then it's perfectly normal, as long as the brakes work when driving Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #113461922nd Jul 2013 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EdF

Pedal creeps to floor with engine running with foot on it and is virtually solid with engine off. Stealer just checked the chassis number and said no T4 needed to bleed. Also said that the pedal will go down, but surely not all the way....?

Post #113462522nd Jul 2013 5:06 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you tried bleeding without the eezibleed ie, the 2 person method with someone opening the bleed nipple for the down stroke and then closing it when pedal on floor and for up strokes? Worth a try, but having said that I had no problem using eezibleed on my 55 plate when I replaced servo etc and fitted the extra vac pipe .
I have to say, the pedal on mine has always been solid with eng running , no creep at all, and even harder like it should be with eng off and vac depleted.

Post #113465422nd Jul 2013 6:14 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If the pedal is solid with the engine off, there is no air in the system Thumbs Up

The pedal creeping down with the engine on is perfectly normal, and was covered in a previous thread not too long ago Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #113465922nd Jul 2013 6:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EdF

Thanks guys.. I wasn't happy with how fast the pedal went down and was fairly certain there was still air in the system. We had bled it 5 times, 3 times with the Eezibleed and twice with my wife 'on the pedal' to no avail. Over a cup of tea, SWMBO asked if there would be more oomph to her 'pedalling' if the engine was running.. I'd never known it done so we tried it and got air at every wheel! The pedal is better and we'll give it another go after supper as there's still some room for improvement.. Be seeing you for a service soon Mikey, once I'm happy with the caravan on the back. Ed.

Post #113468322nd Jul 2013 7:24 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

EdF

Get SWMBO to pump the pedal then hold it down and then open the nipple this should shift the air if there is any in there.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #113468522nd Jul 2013 7:26 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yep, listen to Flack.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #113469122nd Jul 2013 7:48 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Too late now but you should have taken it back to a LR dealer to have it fixed as they shouls have changed the servo if it had oil in it when they did the recall mod to the pipes.
I would still give it a try.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #113485722nd Jul 2013 11:42 pm
EdF

Thanks for the replies. I can't take the Disco back to the garage where the recall was done as it has inadequate brakes, I don't know which garage did it and it was no doubt done a few years back & I bought it in Brum and I am near Inverness! I thought I'd fixed it, went to use it 2 days ago and had a soft pedal... We did 3 Eezibleeds, three proper 2 person bleeds and now I'm almosr past caring. I can only assume that neither the servo nor m/cylinder were faulty and that there's another issue such as a leak. It' s so difficult looking at the pipework underneath when one only has axle stands or ramps. I checked with my nearest LR stealer who took the chassis number and it doesn't need bleeding using T4. .

Post #113644426th Jul 2013 10:19 am
Paddi

United Kingdom 

EdF wrote:
I checked with my nearest LR stealer who took the chassis number and it doesn't need bleeding using T4. .

Just checked my manual to see if I was imagining the bit about T4 being needed. I wasn't:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...rt_984.pdf

Says this for both 'standard' and 'high performance' brakes. Maybe it is VIN# specific but difficult to be sure.

Hope you get it sorted. I once had similar problem with a Jeep and turned out air was getting in through the threads on the bleed nipples. Fixed it using plumber's PTFE tape but being very careful not to allow tape to get on to the nipple where it butts up to caliper to form the seal.

Post #113665026th Jul 2013 5:42 pm
EdF

ThanksPaddi. We had another go yesterday and using witchcraft to find which pipework was holding air and an unusual bleeding method we did it...we determined it was the front left corner using the witchcraft (Applied Kinesiology for the curious) which I won't elaborate on here my wife on the pedal and me at the bleed nipple with a large plastic veterinary syringe attached to plastic tubing on the nipple, the wife slowly pressed the pedal whilst I 'sucked' with the syringe. We also had the engine running. It worked and a load of bubbles came out. After 8 previous full bleeds I was very relieved.. This was my wife's idea from some years back when I couldn't bleed the clutch on a 90 (the pipe goes up from the m/cylinder, along the bulkhead and down, making a great air trap. I wan't able to read your link as due to the phone company cutting the phone line off 2 weeks too early prior to a house move, I only have my phone for broadband and reception is poor here (hilly). Thanks to all repliers. Ed.

Post #113692627th Jul 2013 1:55 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Fixed it then Question

Bill Wright Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #113693027th Jul 2013 2:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >