Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brake Fluid Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Brake Fluid Replacement

Had a 3 year service on my 05 TDV6 today (mileage approx. 23000). The main dealer collected and returned it whilst I was at work so only got to check the service sheet when I got home and the dealer was closed.

I'm pretty sure that when booking the service, the dealer said that the brake fluid would be changed. On checking the service checksheet, despite the words "Change every 3 years" being by the brake fluid box, the box hadn't been ticked.

Will be ringing the dealer in the morning anyway because they failed to fill in and stamp the service record book which was in the glovebox. Will query the brake fluid issue with them on the basis of any advice received. Should the brake fluid be replaced every 3 years irrespective of mileage?

Post #26496027th Feb 2008 12:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes - in common with most vehicles, brake fluid is agroscopic and has a finite lifespan irrespective of usage

Post #26496927th Feb 2008 12:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philhunt

Thanks Ian - looks as if Lookers will be collecting and returning the motor again then! Apart from there being no tick in the 'Brake Fluid' box on the service sheet, there's nothing about brake fluid on the detailed invoice where they've listed charges for parts used. Thumbs Up

Post #26498327th Feb 2008 12:37 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Could be wrong on this but I don't think Dot 5 brake fluid is agroscopic, Dot 4.1 and 5.1 is,

Not sure what LR spec up, but you can bet it one of the Glycol based for cheapness, so will need changing.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #26499827th Feb 2008 12:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have just checked my 90000 mile service bill, carried out in December (37 months old) and it does not mention brake fluid.

Has anyone had brake fluid changed? there must be quite a few vehicles having the 3 yr service now.

Post #26500027th Feb 2008 12:55 am
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Brake Fluid Replacement

philhunt wrote:
...because they failed to fill in and stamp the service record book which was in the glovebox..

Worth checking that the garage doesn't have a "no-glovebox entry policy", ie their staff will not root through the glovebox in order to find anything, locking wheelnut key, service book etc must be left out and visible - guess they been burnt with accusation(s) of something going missing from a custy car.

Side effect of fitting the Brembo brake upgrade is that it is simple/quick to pump through fresh brake fluid at the same time as the new calipers require bleeding in any case... Very Happy
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #26504727th Feb 2008 7:59 am
philhunt

Re: Brake Fluid Replacement

simonsi wrote:
Worth checking that the garage doesn't have a "no-glovebox entry policy", ie their staff will not root through the glovebox in order to find anything, locking wheelnut key, service book etc must be left out and visible....

Well, part of all services is to "remove the road wheels and refit them to the opposite sides of the same axle using anti seize compound on the spigot bore". When I went into my glovebox to see if the service record book had been stamped I could see that the locking wheel nut was in the opposite corner to where I had left it.

Post #26511327th Feb 2008 11:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >