DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Brakes

Firstly I hope everyone is keeping safe and well

Treated my D3 to a new set of brakes , along with new sliding pins, retention plates and both sensors , went with terrafirma, really pleased with the quality , will have to get my local garage fit it for me as alas simply can’t get the wheels off myself , MOT is due end Sep 2023 so will get these fitted at the same time

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #234364829th Jul 2023 8:10 am
gstuart

Plus of course , not forgetting the red brake caliper paint Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #234365129th Jul 2023 8:20 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Look very nice mate! Although I thought you'd have gone with the V8 upgrade given the amount of street racing you do ! Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #234365929th Jul 2023 10:19 am
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Whilst you are doing it why not change the flexi pipes and rear hard lines, they are normally corroded to hell and I’m assuming the fluid will be changed anyway.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234366829th Jul 2023 11:23 am
gstuart

nigethecat wrote:
Look very nice mate! Although I thought you'd have gone with the V8 upgrade given the amount of street racing you do ! Laughing

Rolling with laughter Bow down

Hi mate

Many thks, Must confess toyed with this idea for ages but seeing it’s MOT is coming up and the nearside front and rear caliper pistons were an advisory as sticking I decided to go with this set

Next year I’ve got to replace the rear lower wishbones

As a side note and to be honest never thought of it before but blimey the discs are quite heavy, me being sad I weighed them, fronts are 20 lbs, rears , 16 lbs

Hope ur good mate

Last edited by gstuart on 29th Jul 2023 12:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #234367429th Jul 2023 12:09 pm
gstuart

darrind wrote:
Whilst you are doing it why not change the flexi pipes and rear hard lines, they are normally corroded to hell and I’m assuming the fluid will be changed anyway.

Hiya

Good call but Funny enough already replaced , 6 x brake hoses , 2 x rigid short brake pipes , clips, 4 x drop links , brake lines flushed through , bled and replaced with SL6 brake fluid

Click image to enlarge

Post #234367829th Jul 2023 12:17 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234376129th Jul 2023 11:21 pm
gstuart

So for the 13th Oct , mot passed and new brakes fitted

However now noticed the brake pedal drops too far after starting the engine , wont bother sending it back to the garage who done my brakes , will see if I can bleed the brakes myself without removing the wheels

Just got one of these brake pressure bleeding kits, got fed up with the vacuum hand pumps

Also handy I ordered a new bottle of class 6 brake fluid , plus so pleased having a gap iid in case I need to bleed the ABS module

Did notice its a lot better now not having the 2 x sticking calipers , particularly in traffic where before it would just sit there without rolling

Dam it as there was me thinking they were done and dusted Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #235083719th Oct 2023 11:43 am
gstuart

Had a better look at the brake bleeder and nice that it has a quality master cyl cap

Also just thought after filling it up with fresh brake fluid if I pump it up to say 1 bar will be able to pressure test the entire system to ensure there’s no leaks etc

But if there is air in there assume it will slightly drop due to the air compressing

Wonder if it’s worth getting another pair of axle stands to then see if I can try to attempt getting the wheels off with an axle stand on each corner as looking underneath I don’t think I’ll be able to get onto the caliper bleeding points with them tucked away

Plus another reason I can then look over all the new brakes and the lower rear wishbones that was a mot advisory where they said them being rusty but not compromised , + what the wishbone bolts and drop links etc look like

Suppose another option is trying to find a local a garage who would check them over and bleed the air out , however think it would bug me if I didn’t look myself

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #235084219th Oct 2023 12:55 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

have you driven it to see how the brakes work as you can quite often get a springy/spongey pedal when you fit new discs/pads

also best way to bleed the last bit of air out is to get an assistant to press the pedal down then open the bleed screw then do up with pedal down release the pedal and so on
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #235085119th Oct 2023 2:38 pm
gstuart

Hi

Many thks

Indeed the brakes work but pedal is a lot lower than before and after a few days have to pump the pedal to get a half decent pedal back

Won’t drive it anymore like that particularly if I had to quickly stamp on the brakes

Alas as I live on my own , might be able to get my neighbour to assist but seeing he works full time and has a baby don’t like bothering him as feel that’s the last thing he needs after getting home

Did find out that some local garages want around £120 -150 plus vat as indeed there’s definitely air in the lines hopefully not much got in when the calipers were replaced

Had Discs, pads, calipers, sliding pins, pad retainer clips all replaced, think it was around 18 x months since I had all the brake fluid replaced , for peace of mind I wonder if it’s worth replacing all the fluid with new seeing ive now got that pressure bleeding kit

Post #235085819th Oct 2023 3:27 pm
gstuart

Plus just thought as I’ve got one of these Autel scanners I’ll do an automatic ABS module bleed

At least then I know for sure no air is inside the ABS block , assume there’s a vent somewhere in the module to allow any air to come out

?si=h5g9Y56pXbdCGsI-

Post #235088319th Oct 2023 6:58 pm
JGJ796

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 had front CV boots and rear brake pipes as advisories on last MOT so rather than paying £700 to remedy these thought do it myself. The jobs themselves are not to bad but not having a lift or pit to do the work had to jack up and put on axle stands. Work needed to facilitate the repairs were worse than the repairs. At the front end even getting the underbody protection off was a nightmare with many bolt heads rounding off, then had to replace 16 year old top OSF ball joint before removing driveshafts and replacing the boots. Re-assemby was quite straight forward. Rear brake pipes OK up to approx below NSR back door so decided to make joint there but to do this had to remove heat shields which meant having to also remove exhaust, to get access ,another nightmare. Now have to make replacement brake pipes and hopefully fit this weekend along with brake disk upgrade , dependent on weather. Just to make it harder for myself have decided to use steel pipes but will make sure I rust protect them. Joys of land rover ownership. Other jobs on list are: fix non working drivers heated seat, figuring our why one of middle seats won't fold flat and installing rear view camera. It's an ongoing, never ending project.

Post #235090719th Oct 2023 11:24 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Hi

Many thks

Indeed the brakes work but pedal is a lot lower than before and after a few days have to pump the pedal to get a half decent pedal back

Won’t drive it anymore like that particularly if I had to quickly stamp on the brakes

Alas as I live on my own , might be able to get my neighbour to assist but seeing he works full time and has a baby don’t like bothering him as feel that’s the last thing he needs after getting home

Did find out that some local garages want around £120 -150 plus vat as indeed there’s definitely air in the lines hopefully not much got in when the calipers were replaced

Had Discs, pads, calipers, sliding pins, pad retainer clips all replaced, think it was around 18 x months since I had all the brake fluid replaced , for peace of mind I wonder if it’s worth replacing all the fluid with new seeing ive now got that pressure bleeding kit

think i would be going back to whoever did the work and suggesting they now do it right before you take it any further (if you get my meaning)
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #235093620th Oct 2023 2:14 pm
gstuart

Must confess it’s put doubt in my mind and would rather check it myself

Did try and get underneath to reach them with no success , couldn’t get comfortable and reach at the same time

Going to see if my neighbour will kindly take the wheels off for me , I can then check everything at the same time to ensure it’s 100% ok

Did also find this morning the new brake pad wear sensors that were in the box haven’t been fitted , so I’ll need to fit them at the same time , think there located on the OSR and NSF

Indeed annoying seeing I can’t use it at the moment , plus really don’t want to start spending out £120+ for another garage to sort it out, just so frustrating

Post #235093920th Oct 2023 3:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >