Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

brief noise under load during acceleration - !!!update!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I used to get a light vibration through the accelerator pedal.

Thankfully, it's now resolved as I have a BMW X5 on order Very Happy
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #125306014th Mar 2014 7:47 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

lets hope its not the gearbox because I think the x5 has the same as the disco
 D4  
Post #125329315th Mar 2014 8:40 am
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

bobgolden wrote:
I used to get a light vibration through the accelerator pedal.

Thankfully, it's now resolved as I have a BMW X5 on order Very Happy

Aah, the X5 Pretend Off-Roader. Very common in supermarket carparks but never to be found anywhere they might get dirty Razz
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #125337015th Mar 2014 10:32 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #125374215th Mar 2014 10:00 pm
bobgolden

My D4 never went close to getting dirty either. Well there was one time, in Band Camp .......

Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6

Post #125379816th Mar 2014 2:27 am
bobgolden

Gearbox wasn't the cause - see previous posts, but the groaning noise is spot on as a description. The sad bit about the whole episode is that I'll never know whether the noise was just going to be annoying or if the transfer box would fail imminently/eventually.

Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6

Post #125379916th Mar 2014 2:31 am
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

New prop fitted and all quite n smoooooooth again

(Along with the 4 reAr arms , 4 knuckle bushes and drop links)

Post #126024427th Mar 2014 9:24 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Glad you got it sorted yogi. I'm still at war with mine Big Cry. So far I've had new propshaft which was broken but made no difference. So got all diff oils changed and also transfer box oil changed and then recallibraited and still no difference but now it's developed a scraping/grinding through the pedals when turning slightly left and right but only when accelerating so having 2 new wheel bearings fitted on Tuesday. Fingers crossed Bow down This is doing my head in and knowing my look it will be the diff or transfer box but god I hope not. I think I'm developing a love hate relationship with the car and permigrin has well and truly left the building Big Cry

Dave

Post #126046028th Mar 2014 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Keesiev

Netherlands 

Hi guys,

just posted a message with some issues on my recently bought car. One of the points seems to be the same you have been describing: humming at 1500 rpm 5th gear, 70 km/h. As it appears only a few seconds after being at this speed, I also have been thinking about the lock comming in (or it is the 5th gear being selected).
It looks like a resonance related to the frequency of the 1500 rpm. Did anyone else find the center propshaft bearing to be the cause like one of the previous posters mentionned?

I do not know if I will get used to it, so hope to find the cause Neutral

Post #128934126th May 2014 2:15 pm
discodavis

I'm also experiencing the same issue with a low humming noise, like a wheel bearing. The offside bearing was replaced, then the diff, then the gearbox out for flywheel, bearings...

The story seems all too familiar. The car is in a main dealer. Land Rover UK are helping out. I'll let you know the outcome.

Post #132359311th Aug 2014 4:03 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

After spending almost £2000 on parts that weren't Broken trying to solve my issue with vibration and noise I have managed to to fined the problem. My air com compressed bearings are shot, one of the idlers bearings are long gone and the water pump bearings are also Censored . Put these all together and you get vibrations and noises which can sound like scraping, whining, humming then the vibration but this was only under load which led me to believe it was drive train related. So I have replaced -

Prop shaft with centre bearing
Two front tyres
Two front wheel bearings
Two front cv joints
All diff oils changed and checked
All bushings front and rear arms included
Transfer box oil changed and recalibrated
And Wednesday a/c compressor
Water pump
Both aux belt tensioners

Only realised the noise was coming from the aux belt area when after a long run it developed a whining noise when revving but never did this before so I'm now praying this is it Bow down which my Indy has diagnosed as being Censored
Also big thanks the Steve at AF for sorting the new parts so quickly should be here first thing in the morning.

Dave

Post #132360111th Aug 2014 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lhrossouw

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

jpi3418 wrote:

Hi TJ1010,
I have had this issue on my 2010 D4 for about 1 year now. I've mentioned it to my dealer (Austral) and they say they can't find anything wrong. To me it's like a soft groan as I accelerate from standstill at around 1900 rpm, accompanied by a very slight vibration through the steering wheel. We live in a hilly area and it seems more noticeable when pulling away from standstill on a hill, especially if doing a right turn at the same time. It feels like a diff issue so will ask the dealer to check the front diff oil at my upcoming 4 year service. How did your issue pan out, I haven't seen another post since this one?

HI jpi3418,

Sorry for replying on a 5 year old thread but I'm desperate!
Got a D4 HSE MY11 with 100 000km with exact same issue that you described. Did you perhaps found the cause?

I replaced the front right wheel bearing but no difference...

Post #206125514th Jun 2019 9:43 pm
lhrossouw

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi all,

Well it's almost 2 years now and 37 000km later and I still have this groaning noise with a slight vibration through the steering wheel described best by jpi3418 quoted in my previous post.

Anyway I can tell you what I did and the noise is still the same.

Flushed gearbox, transfer case and diffs - No difference
Replaced both wheel bearings - No difference (was a fix for someone else)
Replaced alternator - No Difference (was a fix for someone else)

I suppose if it was serious it would have become worse or even cause a breakdown, but it is still the same.

Let me know if someone eventually got it fixed, otherwise I will post a update if I found the cause...

I guess the propshaft is next Sad

Lucas

Post #221964023rd Mar 2021 1:51 pm
robsta

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

lhrossouw

Hello

Have you found the fault?

My quick story...I have always had the Pirelli ATR's on all 3 my Disco's and moved to the Cooper Discoverer ATT when Pirelli announced they are discontinuing the ATR. I had a look at the AT+ but went Cooper route. The ATT's are incredibly capable tyres, been doing some harsh offroad trips, long tar drives between Durban and Jhb, and before lock-down was in Mozambique in summer on hot sand. Much better offroad than the ATR's but I have this wobble or bounce at 35km/h, then a rumble and noise at about 80km/h, and very harsh drone at 140km/h. naturally I assumed tyres.

So, 20000km on the new tyres and my Disco feels horrible and a noise similar to a wheel bearing. So the car has been back to the Cooper agents to sort the balancing and vibrations out and they cannot find anything. Even balancing the tyres perfectly, shifting them on the rim did not help.

While the car is up on the ramp, I was looking around and grabbed the rear prop shaft. It seemed ok, but had some play so I phoned 'my' local Landy go to guy and he said there should be some play. But as I said, I have had some low speed wobble or shudder as well at about 35km/h, especially if I go over a speed hump and start accelerating again. It has been getting worse, so much so that you can see the rear seats bounce a bit. So this Friday I took the Disco to the Landy guy and we went for a drive. Immediately he said Torque Converter needs to be flushed, but there was something else. Eventually in the shop, all the tech guys are under the car and they show me that they could put the fingers thru the centre bearing rubber of the rear prop shaft. I have ordered one now, and the Disco is booked in this Wednesday coming. Will give feedback as soon as it gets back from the Indy. Note...I have the V8 petrol, but all the prop shafts bearing etc are the same.
 Previously Freelander II
Previously '08 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
Previously '10 Disco4 TDV / SDV6 HSE
Now: '12 Freelander II SD4 HSE -
Now '11 Disco4 V8 HSE 

Post #222547319th Apr 2021 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >