Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Steering wheel rotary circuit unit (the "clockspring").
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nickbos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Steering wheel rotary circuit unit (the "clockspring").

When I first acquired my truck around 9 months ago, this unit kept failing - the cruise control could be applied but after it was disengaged it would fail to reapply, which was irritating as I rely on the CC to keep my drivers licence clean. My indy had a test unit plugged in, and found that at certain points of rotation of the steering wheel there was a break n the current to it, which threw a fault, and as there was a fault the CC wouldn't become active again. I had the part swapped out (not cheap at £220+VAT+fitting).

Same thing's now happening to the new one. When the previous unit was swapped out, the truck was suffering with a raft of electrical issues which resulted in low voltage and with all the symptoms. These have since been fixed, but in view of the fact that I do lots of short journies, and don't trickle charge the battery monthly as possibly I should, I do wonder whether the problem is one of voltage rather than a dodgy unit?

Any thoughts? I can claim on the 2 year part warranty (think my indy got it from Ducksworth), but I think the issue will be proving it's faulty in the first place - as it may well function with no problems in a run up the road and he doesn't have his own dealer-grade diagnostic kit.

Post #206150816th Jun 2019 12:24 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It would be worth popping the airbag off and closely inspecting the little loom underneath.
The cables attached to the white multi block are crimped so tight the crimps cut through the cable over time and leave the coloured insulation intact. This results in exactly the symptoms you're having but can lead to the steering wheel switch illumination becoming erratic or flashing, cruise going intermittent, radio controls not working etc.

Remove the airbag and check that little loom. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #206151116th Jun 2019 12:32 pm
nickbos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks. It won't be me, but someone who will be running a hard-wire through the body for a dash-cam for me - I'll ask him to take a look at this at the same time. Having done a bit more reading, it does look as though, on balance of probability, I've spent money on a replacement part for something that might not have been faulty?

Looking back on the work done since picking up my disco I reckon the tally for swapping out what may have been perfectly serviceable components is running in at over £750, including the VAT but not the fitting time. Difficult to be sure or prove of course - but when you're told the problem must be with the alternator and you have it swapped out, but the symptoms return, it's not unreasonable to conclude it probably wasn't the alternator?

I now know that the electrics/electronics on Discos are such that if there seems to be voltage/current issues then the immediate action drill is to give it to someone to do a fairly deep diagnostic review to check for shorts, bad earths and deterioration in the looms/connections. You live and learn. I suppose there's some comfort in knowing that at least some of the parts in the truck are less than a year old?

Post #206152216th Jun 2019 1:07 pm
ASPGuru

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Knowing you only do short trips, and don't top up the battery charge regularly, then I'd suggest the first IA is to get the battery fully charged and then see if you still have the issue.

That's relatively cheap to do, especially if you already have a suitable battery charger.

If the issue goes, then happy days, you know what you need to do. I keep a cheap eBay voltage meter plugged into one of the power points to help me keep an eye on my voltage levels.

If the issue persists then yeah, you need to investigate further.

Cheers,,

Mark
 19?? Lightweight 3.5V8
1977 109" FFR
1987 110 CSW DT
1991 Discovery 200TDi
2000 Defender 110 CSW Td5
2004 VW Caravelle, that we won't talk about
2015 Discovery SE Tech 3.0 SDV6 Aruba Gold
2016 Discovery Graphite 3.0 SDV6 Corris Grey 

Post #206165517th Jun 2019 1:14 am
Post Reply Back to top