Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

How to build yourself a FBH controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 23 <123 ... 1920 212223>
pyr0660

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You wouldn't. The FBH has its own pump the w bus would turn that on.

Post #220593227th Jan 2021 9:31 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

It’s more to turn the fan on
But that can run the battery down

Post #220593427th Jan 2021 9:38 pm
ivniulian

Romania 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

so I understand that if I buy the device in my picture attached, I only connect w bus and + 12v and ground and it works. I will come back with a post after I buy it and mount it.

this guy sell on ebay :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-W-bus-Fun...17320536?7

Thanks!

Post #220593527th Jan 2021 9:40 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yes

This thread covers them.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/turning-fbh-191038.html

Post #220593727th Jan 2021 9:42 pm
Stistus

Norway 

I know I'm a few (7) years late on this matter probably, but is it somewhere to buy this homemade PCB to use on my freel2 webasto:)? Like Mr DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #22347087th Jun 2021 3:59 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've started fitting a few of these this week which are simple to do and work great with no software issues for the LR control module.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/164703229132

I used this remote relay rather than the LR fob button, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/363050462248?var=632177735703 but the remotes on these are easily pressed accidentally. So I'd recommend an alternative remote that covers the buttons to prevent accidental activation.

I'm not an eblag fan and very rarely buy anything there, but these are cheap as chips and seem to work as others on here can attest. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22347177th Jun 2021 5:17 pm
Stistus

Norway 

Profsr g. Are you selling them or is it for own use? If not can you provide me the wiring schemes for me to work on the freel2

Post #22348038th Jun 2021 7:48 am
PROFSR G

Not selling them and have no connection or vested interest in them. I have been asked to fit them for a few customers who wanted heat on start up during the winter months, as well as aiding cold start / glow plug issues.

I'm not sure if your Freelander is fitted with a W-Bus wire as I never see Freelanders here, but on the later D3's this wire was not required by the vehicle and so this has to be added. This is used so that the W-Bus controller can talk to the burner. If you require this it's available from the site shop! More info here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater Or, perhaps the lads over on https://www.freel2.com/forum/ can assist regarding any differences re the W-bus.

The controller comes with wiring explanation and is simple. The remote start relay is simple too once you remember it's a relay, but with remote 433Mhz RF switching.

The relay terminals are:

GND - = EARTH
BATT+ = PERMANENT 12v +
NO+ = SWITCHED 12v + FEED TO THE CONTROLLER (When key fob "on" is pressed this carries the start signal)
COM+ = PERMANENT 12v + (You can use a jumper from BATT+ to COM+ instead of two 12v wires!)
NC = NOT USED
v v v v v

The W-Bus Controller terminals are:

BUS 1/0 = W- BUS from heater
ON/OFF = Start signal from RF Relay
GND = EARTH
30 = PERMANENT 12v+
CP NOT USED
VFR NOT USED
v v v v v

W-Bus Controller and Remote RF Relay (left of pic) installed.
v v v v v
Click image to enlarge

You may wish as other have to fit the relay higher up inside the vehicle if you're concerned about reception from the remote. The above setup works at around 25 metres from inside a concrete block building, and with the battery cover fitted! I haven't tested it beyond that distance, but I see no need.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22348458th Jun 2021 10:54 am
Stistus

Norway 

Thank you for the much detailed respond. Im just wondering, how is it function of you only choose the wbus module without the GPRS remote? The function on the Freelander2 is that it should start the FHB when is below 5 degrees or less when driving, it's smthe same function on yours originally?

Post #22348738th Jun 2021 2:32 pm
PROFSR G

The GPRS is a different (much more expensive) way of starting the heater although it offers more functionality. The LR D3 default trigger for starting the heater itself is 6° or below with a engine temp less than 74° I think, but then only after you starting the engine! (8° for the D4)

Fitting a W-Bus controller allows you to start it remotely either by using the LR 3rd button on your key fob when it's set to "follow me home lights" Or, by adding a remote RF relay it can be done independently of the LR fob if you want to use that function for something else.

Either way, it just means you have a very cheap way of starting the heater remotely whilst you fry the kippers. Laughing

And, when you do start the engine there will be warm air immediately, so long as you let it run for at least 10 minutes.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22348788th Jun 2021 3:02 pm
Stistus

Norway 

Sounds lovely, just ordered a set right now. Hopefully it arrives this time. Last time I used eBay I got ripped off. Shocked .
Do you have a second car battery, or do you have a larger capacity than the original? Or doesn't it use much juice overall.

Post #22348988th Jun 2021 4:25 pm
PROFSR G

Just don't turn it on accidentally or it will keep going until the battery drops below 11v. Or, order a couple of 433Mhz fobs with the buttons covered! As for the power usage a mouse would burn more juice chewing through your wiring. Laughing

On a 20 min run time with a healthy battery it's minimal once the glow plug has switched off. Thumbs Up

Don't forget, you need the W-bus converter, and the RF relay! If however you're going to use the LR 3rd button (set to "follow me home lights") you just need the W-Bus converter as the headlights will provide the start/stop signal.

Remember too, you have to turn it off the same way you started it, as the W-Bus is in control, not the car!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22349048th Jun 2021 4:48 pm
Stistus

Norway 

Yes I ordered a different RF relay, it looked by the pictures that the buttons sticking further down, and also a very slim and nice looking device.
But may I ask, the wbus wire, did you connect directly to the webasto or did you just locate the wire in the bonnet area and used some kind of a scissor connector?
My webasto suppose to be located inside the plastic over the right front wheel, but it would be much Moore convenient to find it in the engine bay:)

I know after I read about an altox upgrade from a Russian fellow, that they have originally the t91 telestart located below the glove box. I don't have that but I guess I should have the same wires there right?

Post #223530210th Jun 2021 12:38 pm
PROFSR G

I dont know if the w-bus wire is fitted to the Freelander as its a model I never see. You can order it from the site shop along with the diagnostic leads if you want to have (full) fault diagnosis for the heater.
Perhaps the lads over on the Freelander site can advise you on the presence of the w-bus lead. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223531010th Jun 2021 1:19 pm
PROFSR G

See here, "Connecting to the FBH"

https://disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223536410th Jun 2021 5:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 20 of 23 <123 ... 1920 212223>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >