Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Central locking green wire splice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi All

Thanks gtstuart for the link to this cracking post , below is my issue , could be the wires mentioned , worth a look , question is how do I get the trims off without distorting them, I have looked at removing the Door sill finisher before but it bent a bit I stopped , I have the tools but don't want to break the threshold trim

issue below

Bit of a strange issue , whilst on holiday in Cornwall with the caravan on the last day we packed the D3 with all the gear through, the night the car kept unlocking and locking itself.
Eventually I sorted with the fob.
It did the same last night it was locked and a few hours later it unlocked itself then relocked and so on a couple of times.
When I tried to lock it with the fob straight after it opened it would blip the horn as if a door was open.
Leave it a while and it will lock but unlock a little while later , when I locked it again I think I got 4 flashes on the hazard lights.
It did lock after leaving it 10 mins after it unlocked itself.
Any clues ??
cheers Phil

Post #21653773rd Aug 2020 11:44 am
Weedyapl

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving just fixed mine too thanks!
 Aidan
============= 

Post #217019227th Aug 2020 6:03 am
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great thread that will be around as long as the D3,
just wondering, we’ve had a number of D3s stolen in our area over the last year so getting past the immobiliser, alarm etc looks achievable, if this splice going open cct kills the canbus feed and stops the vehicle starting, I wonder if it’s possible to wire the splice to a discrete switch, “cutting” the splice when you leave the car? Bit of extra security, even if they get your keys it won’t start. Bit extreme but considering it’s location in the passenger areas, should be a doddle extend it out to under the seat or somewhere.
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #217405315th Sep 2020 10:07 pm
Carlson

Kenya 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Central locking green wire splice

Wow!!!! Thanks so so so much. I found those three wires, cut the connection and reconnect wow! Not only Key remote is now working but also Radio and NAV are also working perfectly.
ONCE AGAIN THANKS SO SO MUCH.

Post #218613111th Nov 2020 12:25 pm
Wigham

France 
Where are the green wires.......

2005 tdv6 lhd. Like others on this thread I have found the “two into one” wires in the passenger footwell towards the front of the car. They were actually disconnected and so have been repaired.

As for the other three coming from one direction and joined together......nothing! Cannot find them at all. I have searched back through the black plastic shroud that protects the loom going through the frame towards the back seat and forward to the (slowly drying out) footwell.

Central locking still u/s.

Any ideas from out there welcomed...

Post #218986927th Nov 2020 8:12 am
everlaat

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks everyone for their detailed descriptions (and photos). Just located the wires, resoldered them and problem fixed \o/.

I had a lot of water in the footwell and I am wondering how to prevent that from happening; I don't have a sunroof and think I'll focus on the aircon.

Post #21995046th Jan 2021 5:23 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The water will be coming in through the windscreen pillar trims or through the heater vent.
Drop the lower glovebox and pull your pollen filter out an see if its wet.

Post #21995056th Jan 2021 6:27 am
leroymusic00

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: It depends ....

Bobs wrote:
Think there are 3 to 4 options .... all semi linked .... Rolling Eyes

Wether you have a sun roof or not and wether someones done any previous work or not .... Big Cry

Under the 'search' option above (on the site) look up a few threads ... TBH it could be a few things .... I am slowly going through each of them so the problems are done and dusted once and for all...

I have been on here for a short time as well .... so with the TDV6 and no sun roof I found water in the driver sill whilst replacing a broken trim (door floor panel) .... water is the cause of most issues and this seems to be either sun roof issue (blocked pipes or ducts) or a known design fault in the A pillar trim (requires an upgreade kit from LR - £9.50 and a bit of sticking and trimming ) .... Both covered on here ..... or lastly air conditioning (covered on here) ....

If water gets in the sill then it effects other things as thats where the electrics (wire looms ) are situated ... one issue is the central locking (covered on this thread) if the water collects and is left unchecked.... it can build up and spills into the driver and passenger wells...... Big Cry

Hope this helps ....... Thumbs Up

Parts are cheaper than you think though and fixes are all covered on here ....

I was looking for some advice on this also - I did the splice solder, heatshrink thing and the CL now works fine. However, I did check further down the loom and the green wires had little breaks along the way so I cut back quite a bit. The car is great but the drivers footwell (UK) gets soaking wet with any rain. I have checked the little valve behind the intake and that seems fine. How do I try to unblock the sunroof drain, drivers side. Help :-/

Post #220373119th Jan 2021 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Headlining down (remove visor and grab handle). Pipe connected to sunroof drain (check it's not cracked). Pull the pipe off and either use a rod to clear it out or compressed air. Water should flow freely down to rear of the wheel arch. Once it's clear (and assuming the drain on the sunroof is OK), refit and test with a little water. Not a bad job to do and very satisfying when you unblock it Very Happy

Post #220375119th Jan 2021 9:40 pm
leroymusic00

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thank you very much for your advice - I am going to buy some narrow tubing from B&Q this moning and try and blow it clear with a pump Smile

Post #220379320th Jan 2021 8:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChilliDisco

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A few people mentioned the D4 might not have the splice in the passenger sill loom.
I can confirm that my 2010 D4 GS does not have the splice after tracing all green and white wires in the loom.

Post #22458279th Aug 2021 10:51 am
Jimbob42

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Fixed

Cured central locking fault. Amazes me how this used to affect d3 years ago and it’s still cropping up!

Post #229198817th May 2022 8:15 pm
Powermax104

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I've been out today and stripped all tape off the loom and spent about 2 hours going right through it but no sign at all.

Found a couple of splices but none were the correct green and white colour and none were 3 wires all ending from one direction
Would it be easier for me to feed a new direct live from the fuse box to the receiver and a new earth? I could tap the fresh wiring into the wiring that feeds the receiver above the 2nd row dome lights.

I already checked for 12v on the receiver connector with my multimeter and its only showing 0.5 volts.

Hopefully someone out there has done it this way already and can advise.

Cheers guys.

Post #22982273rd Jul 2022 1:27 am
JJames84

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Central locking fixed with this trick.

Thanks so much for this post. Central locking suddenly stopped working this afternoon. Worked fine this morning, no rain, then by the afternoon nothing.
Followed this guide and spliced, soldered, heat shrinked and covered in a glove finger and now all works fine again. Getting the trim back in was by far the worst bit! There was quite of bit of water sitting in the passenger footwell so need to look into this now too. My back washer hasn’t worked for 6 months or so despite that pump sounding so I’m wondering if this is the culprit and sending water down into the footwell.

Has anyone found the rear washer hose to be the problem in the passengers footwell?

If so, if anyone has any advice where to start investigating that would be much appreciated! Thank you,

Post #230740112th Sep 2022 5:14 pm
Powermax104

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Glad you sorted yours. I couldn't even find the splice on mine after about 3 hours of searching in Total! Mine ended up being both key fob batteries being dead at the same time. Even though they both had new batteries about 12 months previously.
One was an ebay key fob repair and my other fob I purchased a new board and battery which I programmed up with my iid tool. They both worked perfectly for about 12 months.
So when I got locked out of my car one day and managing to get back inside, drove home and grabbed my spare and that also didn't work I just presumed it must've been the 3 wire splice problem and wasted hours of my life stripping the trims and searching for it Laughing Laughing Not funny at the time though.
So I'm not sure if there was an update on my 2007 TDV6 HSE or what, but there's absolutely no evidence of anyone doing a splice repair as all of the loom was intact perfectly from the factory. Mine was bone fry along the sill loom channel.
I would definitely suggest you check the water drain pipe from the sunroof which rots and then leaks into the footwell. It is behind the Fuse box somewhere.There is another which travels down behind the rear passenger seatbelt trim that could be letting in water also. I'm not sure if the rear washer pipe would be the cause, but I'd definitely be checking that too. There's lots of videos on you tube that will help Thumbs Up
Hope you manage to get the leak sorted.

Post #230743912th Sep 2022 7:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >