Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Central Locking Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Daf

Central Locking Issues

Thought I'd start another thread as I believe the cause of the issues I have here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tailgate-no...82674.html

is probably because the passenger side footwell is soaking. I don't have a sunroof though.

I could not get into my car this morning as the central locking failed to work. Got in via the emergency access and popped the bonnet and started up the car. All fine but the central locking still wouldnt work. Saw that there is an issue where damp/ water can corrode some wires that are connected together in the loom under the passenger side sill. When I went to see how to remove the sill (it just pulls up) I noticed that the carpets were sodden. The cover for loom was soaking as well.

IIRC there's an issue with some tube blocking in the A pillar I think that causes this water issue? Could someone show me a link to a thread which deals with this? I don't exactly know what to search for and haven't found it yet.

What's the best way for me to dry this out? Kitchen roll and some warm weather? Any other ideas?

Looks like I need to carry out this repair but I'm getting close to being out of my depth here?
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/splice-wire...36084.html
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/central-loc...03468.html

Anyone around the Blackwood area that can help for a few quid?

Post #212695710th Mar 2020 8:21 am
Daf

I've watched a couple of videos where the drain pipe for the sunroof perishes at the exit end and then starts draining into the car. I don't have a sunroof on my car but I suspect that there is something similar in place for the windscreen and windscreen wiper sections?

I have lifted the sill trim and I can see the channel but it is covered with a hard plastic shroud. How do I lift that up, to get at the central locking cables?

Post #212698110th Mar 2020 10:05 am
Daf

The rubber sill with the Land Rover emblem just prises off with a screwdriver. It rins from the front of the car to the rear passenegr seat - it is one piece. To remove it, you have to take off the B pillar trim which is a doddle. Just a few clips. This reveals a hard plastic shroud that sits over a channel, where the cable loom runs. To remove this you have to use a screwdriver to prise up the four white fixers. Once they are loose, you then have to rock it up and backwards to slide it out from under the carpet. It's tight and horrible and you'll get it snagged on the door seal, so leaver it past using a screw driver. I have no idea whether I can get that back in so am considering cutting it in half to make the job easier. I'll give it a go first. Then you get to see this: (I've removed 10" of the tape wrapping so that I can loosen up the bundle)

This is the back:

I found the three green wires quite easily once the bundle was split open:

Once out in the air, the central locking started to work again. Obviously I'll cut them and re-solder and place them at the top of the bundle out of the water.

I also noticed these two blue taped connections sitting at the top of the bundle. Surely this isn't a factory fit? I have no extra equipment attached, the car is vanilla, nobody has put any after market bits on, so what are these:

Here are the two sills that you have to remove. Note the width of the hard plastic sill on the right and how much you have to slide and lift to get it out:

So one problem identified and a fix needed. Now I need to identify the water ingress (it does look fresh as it is relatively clean and I cannot see any signs of long term dirt or corrosion). And third and original issue is the lower tailgate switch no longer working?

Got to love these cars!

Post #212699710th Mar 2020 11:22 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

red jointed wires are probably all the illumination wires joined

Post #212702110th Mar 2020 1:08 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As you don't have a sunroof ,check that the windscreen trim clips are sealed properly . Has the windscreen been replaced recently?

Post #212703410th Mar 2020 1:49 pm
Daf

Pete K wrote:
red jointed wires are probably all the illumination wires joined

You are kidding me? That's a factory fit? It's just lots of insulation tape, no heat shrink! I suppose they must have run out!

Post #212703510th Mar 2020 2:01 pm
Daf

L319 wrote:
As you don't have a sunroof ,check that the windscreen trim clips are sealed properly . Has the windscreen been replaced recently?

Yes. But a good 5 years ago. The water, carpet and channels all look clean. Some rust on the metal clips that hold down the rubber trim that looks like days more than weeks. The amount of water in the channel ID incredible. Just popped out to Lidls to get some nappies and the sloshing sound is loud!

I have ordered the clips and rubber pad kit off eBay and should get them later on this week. How do you remove the trim? I have trim removal tools, so just pry it up after opening the bonnet?

Post #212703710th Mar 2020 2:07 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

You don't need nappies to soak up the water, kitchen roll should suffice. Whistle

Was going to say loo roll but that's suddenly a scarce commodity. Laughing

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #212704010th Mar 2020 2:32 pm
Daf

Those nappies are working a treat. Made me nostalgic for all those sleepless nights an wall to wall Cbeebies

Post #212707210th Mar 2020 4:27 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Drop the lower glove box down and pull out the pollen filter. If its wet the water is coming in through the heater inlet under the scuttle panel.
One corner of the inlet sticks out further than the windscreen and water can run down the screen under the plastic trim and drip down into the heater box. I bit of duct tape over that corner of the inlet works a treat.

Post #212711610th Mar 2020 7:58 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I glued part of a milk bottle on the top with two holes that aligned with the existing 2 holes

inspiration from

knwatkins wrote:
T
It's simply the side of a plastic milk bottle, stuck in place with a decent amount of silicone sealant. Simple but it does the job...

Click image to enlarge

Post #212711910th Mar 2020 8:12 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #212715210th Mar 2020 10:15 pm
Daf

aja4x4 wrote:
Drop the lower glove box down and pull out the pollen filter. If its wet the water is coming in through the heater inlet under the scuttle panel.
One corner of the inlet sticks out further than the windscreen and water can run down the screen under the plastic trim and drip down into the heater box. I bit of duct tape over that corner of the inlet works a treat.

Ta. I'll check that. Recently had a full service and they changed the pollen filter and said nothing about water though.

Post #212732911th Mar 2020 3:01 pm
Daf

Pete K wrote:
I glued part of a milk bottle on the top with two holes that aligned with the existing 2 holes

inspiration from

knwatkins wrote:
T
It's simply the side of a plastic milk bottle, stuck in place with a decent amount of silicone sealant. Simple but it does the job...

Click image to enlarge

What am I looking at here? I can see what you have done but where did you do it? Very Happy

Post #212733111th Mar 2020 3:02 pm
Daf

Ok, linked to the other post. This is under the scuffle panel and the shiny bit at the top of the picture is the bottom of the windscreen?

Post #212733411th Mar 2020 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >