DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

A clonk and a wander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
A clonk and a wander

Hi All,

I've started to notice a bit of a wander in my steering. Nothing mega, just doesn't feel quite right. The only way I can describe it is as if the vehicle is tracking in ruts made by HGV's on normal road surface. Every now and then it wants to drift a little left or right when I'm holding the wheel dead straight. It does it on all roads, not just one particular carriageway so I know it isn't just following the road contours.

Secondly, when doing 5-10mph along a bumpy track the other day, I heard a bit of a clonk when going over a pot hole. I don't get any noise when going back and forth on flat even ground, just a clonk over the odd bump.

A search on here makes me suspect possibly a loose steering column? https://www.disco4.com/forum/wandering-ste...t=steering

But then the clonk made me suspect worn ARB bushes?

I'm not very good at diagnosing problems, but give me an idiots guide and a spanner and I'm all over it. Laughing

I've looked through the site (best man search, so may well have missed it) but can't find any guide on how to check bushes etc for wear and tear so I have no idea where to start looking to see what to replace.

I've got a new pair of Avon AX7's to fit to the front and don't want to, until it's been sorted and then I'll get it Hunter aligned.

Can anyone help with a guide or how to on what to check?

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #219726529th Dec 2020 10:52 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

I would check the inner tierod ball joint, the one that sits inside the tie rod bellow on the steering rack itself.
This will give this sudden own will of steering and is quite scary.
They are easy to replace and comes in a kit with new bellow, clip and cable tie for the rubber boot.
Lift each tyre above ground and feel for the slightest movement in the joint.
Lower ball joint could give the same effect but it is the steering joint that normaly is the problem.

Post #219726729th Dec 2020 11:11 pm
jamez79

Brill. I'll give that a bash on my day off then. Cheers for the swift reply Thumbs Up

Will update you once I've checked it.

Post #219727329th Dec 2020 11:42 pm
jamez79

Hi,

I've had the car up in the air and given everything I could pry, a pry and a wobble. All seems stiff with no play.

The thing I have noticed is when the car is off, if I wobble the steering wheel, there is a bit of play before the wheels actually begin to move. Not a lot, but a bit. Is that normal or does that indicate the steering shaft thats been mentioned in other posts?

I've just had new boots on the front (Avon AX7) fitted at a garage 150 yards away so not been able to check if the 'wandering' feeling is still there, but will check how it feels on my next trip to work which is a run of 20 miles.

Anything else to check whilst its on the driveway?

Thanks

Post #220110411th Jan 2021 3:44 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Kviasen wrote:
I would check the inner tierod ball joint, the one that sits inside the tie rod bellow on the steering rack itself.
This will give this sudden own will of steering and is quite scary.
They are easy to replace and comes in a kit with new bellow, clip and cable tie for the rubber boot.
Lift each tyre above ground and feel for the slightest movement in the joint.
Lower ball joint could give the same effect but it is the steering joint that normaly is the problem.

I find it quite hard to diagnose suspension issues in this way (unlike other normal cars). I had a wheel bearing that was pretty shot (very noisy) but there was no discernable play. Even with a pry bar on the ARB bushes it was hard to spot play, but they were worn. May just be my lack of experience but LRs are quite solid even when parts are wearing out.

What mileage is on the vehicle? Controls arms as well as the tie rods may be worth replacing. All doable as DIY with lots of advice here, but equally easy for a decent indy if you can supply the parts (I took this route as I have no air at home and didn't fancy wrestling corrosion/cutting off the old arms).
 PAGODA  
Post #220111611th Jan 2021 4:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >