Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Cost of keeping a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Cost of keeping a D3

Just had an email from my local council, Lewisham, to say that they are conducting a survey which from past experience men’s anything they suggest will be brought into action and be more expensive than what was suggested in the consultancy stage. Happens all the time.
I don’t disagree with the principle but the time frame for people to change their vehicles, or pay the penalty charge, is too short.
Anyhow, their proposal is to increase on street parking and also reduce disabled parking bays. Parking permits will increase from £130,bad enough, to £235 if you have a vehicle like a D3 due to emissions.
Plus there will be a £50 surcharge for ANY diesel vehicle irrespective of emissions.
So the problem I have now is that the road tax is almost £600 plus on street parking of £285 and this is where my budget starts to fall apart even before any fuel is added. Love the Disco and it’s been very well looked after so I suppose it’s living in London that’s a pain. plus we have the Ultra Low emission zone to look forward to where the Disco 3 would be banned from, or penalised per day, to drive inside the North or South circular. I understand this is happening in many other cities so perhaps we are all doomed regarding ownership.
The bottom line is I don’t think anyone disagrees with cleaning up air pollution but the time frame and big hammer approach could leave many people, not just Disco owners, in an awkward position re finance on their vehicles etc. Did I mention Lewisham Council have a pretty good pension fund that has to be paid for somehow! Only joke no.....I think.

Post #20665476th Jul 2019 8:25 pm
terryall

Predictive text is a pain but I think you get the drift.......

Post #20665516th Jul 2019 8:36 pm
A1GSS

England 

What's your point? That a £115 increase in parking. Will that stop you? That's less than a tank of fuel a year. Sorry, I don't get it.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #20665646th Jul 2019 10:47 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think he’s raising the issue of the creeping and rising cost of ownership on old diesels as more councils try to meet emission targets and persuade people to by more environmentally acceptable vehicles or use public transport.

The writing is on the wall for the D3 and non Eu6 D4. Your right though, £115 is neither here nor there running a Discovery.

Bath is introducing a £9 per day charge. It’ll cost me another £1500 per year which still makes it cheaper keeping my D4 though.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #20665677th Jul 2019 1:03 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

It’s a little cynical to raise a charge against parking the vehicle, rather than using it; I believe that the emissions on a parked D3 are broadly in line with those of a parked Nissan Leaf Rolling Eyes

The charges aren’t quite high enough to justify parting with the car, so the local authority won’t be killing the goose. However, as the diesels naturally drop away they’ll still need to preserve that increased level of income, so will it then be petrol’s turn? Lumping Euro 6 in with all of the other diesels would tend to suggest that there’s little in the way of science behind their decisions.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #20665747th Jul 2019 6:00 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It’s a temporary hidden tax, of course. One of the oldest tricks in the book to get public funding coffers filled with dosh. Mr. Green

Post #20665757th Jul 2019 6:08 am
terryall

Yes Moo is correct. The higher and higher charges levied by councils plus the more restricted parking spaces make car ownership a bit of a pain sometimes if you live in a city. Then soon we will have the Ultra Low Emmission Zone coming to London and probably elsewhere. Like I said, there comes a point where common sense hits you re Disco ownership. I can afford to swap vehicles but I don’t really want to so I suppose I will pay up and just moan about it.

Post #20665767th Jul 2019 6:18 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have already resolved to hang on to my March 2016 D4, which has a WD warranty until June 2022, in the first quarter of 2022, when it will be replaced by an EV.

I would like to think that it might be a Defender, but we will see.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #20665777th Jul 2019 6:48 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Cost of keeping a D3

terryall wrote:
Just had an email from my local council, Lewisham, to say that they are conducting a survey which from past experience men’s anything they suggest will be brought into action and be more expensive than what was suggested in the consultancy stage. Happens all the time.
I don’t disagree with the principle but the time frame for people to change their vehicles, or pay the penalty charge, is too short.
Anyhow, their proposal is to increase on street parking and also reduce disabled parking bays. Parking permits will increase from £130,bad enough, to £235 if you have a vehicle like a D3 due to emissions.
Plus there will be a £50 surcharge for ANY diesel vehicle irrespective of emissions.
So the problem I have now is that the road tax is almost £600 plus on street parking of £285 and this is where my budget starts to fall apart even before any fuel is added. Love the Disco and it’s been very well looked after so I suppose it’s living in London that’s a pain. plus we have the Ultra Low emission zone to look forward to where the Disco 3 would be banned from, or penalised per day, to drive inside the North or South circular. I understand this is happening in many other cities so perhaps we are all doomed regarding ownership.
The bottom line is I don’t think anyone disagrees with cleaning up air pollution but the time frame and big hammer approach could leave many people, not just Disco owners, in an awkward position re finance on their vehicles etc. Did I mention Lewisham Council have a pretty good pension fund that has to be paid for somehow! Only joke no.....I think.

What you have to ask yourself is, does the Disco earn its keep? My philosophy in life is you can own anything providing it earns its keep, if the answer is ‘no’ it then becomes a luxury item and ownership is your choice.
Regarding parking just think yourself lucky you have the option, too many homeowners think they have bought the road in front of their houses, roads are for traveling on not parking on IMHO and to buy that area of land in a city would cost a lot more than £235 per year.
Not that I agree with the legislation that is being imposed on car owners in a so called free country, why should anybody or authority have the power to dictate what vehicle I drive or own and where I can go with it on public roads, we are going back 200years to the days of private taxation and toll roads and the charge of one penny per foot to travel on certain roads, nearly every city in England has an historic “Penny Lane”
Thankfully I don’t need to go into big cities very often.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20665787th Jul 2019 7:21 am
Sea Raider

Think it might be a while before its introduced here

We don't even have street lights

Post #20665827th Jul 2019 7:43 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

My parents don’t live too far from you (New Cross) and are still in the Borough of Lewisham, thankfully they don’t have parking charges, as the local residents have twice voted against it.

However, the up coming low emissions zone is making my dad question whether he will keep his car (2003 Volvo XC70), due to the expense. Luckily for them he is of an age that he probably will not be driving much longer anyway, but even so it will leave a lot of people with difficult decisions to make and I am not sure what I would do if I still lived there.
 Andy

Post #20665987th Jul 2019 8:54 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

That’s easy - move! Very Happy Thumbs Up
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #20666017th Jul 2019 9:06 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

It will be petrol lawn mowers next!
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #20666037th Jul 2019 9:13 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Replaced ours with a battery one about a month ago! Whistle
 Andy

Post #20666087th Jul 2019 9:26 am
plocker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Get a V8. £285 to tax for the year, and can drive through the ULEZ with no charge. 8)
 05 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey  
Post #206850315th Jul 2019 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >