DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D3 key failing to charge... got locked inside car today! HEL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Natsta84

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
D3 key failing to charge... got locked inside car today! HEL

Hiya...

Having issues with our D3... the key doesn't appear to be charging when in the ignition. The central locking has a mind of it's own. Recently we have been locked in the car, where the button on the dash to unlock door has also been dead. I am terrified the children are going to get locked in, so need to get this sorted. There has been times where I have shut the door and not pressed the key fob to lock and its locked itself.

When pressing the key fob sometimes the central locking sounds as if it has locked the car from the outside but hasnt or its completely dead and does nothing.

Any advice is welcomed and very appreciated.[/url]

Post #220085010th Jan 2021 8:23 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome!
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220085510th Jan 2021 8:33 pm
Motolab

Do you have one key or 2?

Battery’s on these rechargeable keys, need replacing also from time to time..

Terrified because of your children? Although logic in a way, just always keep a emergency hammer at hand in the car then there will be never a life threatening situation, from The outside a stone will always do.. a towel or jacket between window and stone will keep it safe and not alarmingly for those kids..

You can buy rather cheap, lr key housings, to replace the old one if damaged when opened up, reuse the electronics of the old one, new battery and ready to go..
There is even a replacement service here on the forum.. if you do not want to do this yourself..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220086210th Jan 2021 8:45 pm
Natsta84

Thankyou for your response.

Unfortunately we only have the 1 working key, I have looked online for companies that can replace the key but not keen on sending our only key and handing our address over, I also dont really understand the programming side of things if a new key comes, nor have the iid tool that I have seen people speak about. I am not technical in the slightest so would prefer someone else to fix the issue but would like to avoid main dealership pricing if possible.

I have seen someone called Dave on here but because I am a new member I am unable to PM him... would a battery issue cause all of the issues? I was unsure if it was something more complex that's all. This has definitely taught me to have a spare key... lesson learnt.

Thanks again for your response, it is much appreciated.

Post #220087610th Jan 2021 9:09 pm
Motolab

Regarding sending your adress to a reputable company......Well it is only an old D3... imho...

I do not think they bother.... 8)

Programming is only needed when a new key is needed... not with battery replacement..
Our forum sponsor, Advanced Factors sells replacement body’s (and new batterys i think)

Easy to replace, the only “difficulty” is open up your key without damaging the electronics..
Just be carefull, and you will be fine.. once out... rest is easy peasy...

If you buy an extra blanc key and housing... you can later buy a used LR key on ebay or here on the forum.... a key maker can copy your blade, and you use the electronics of the bought key, to be programmed..... the tools for programming cost serious money, but some forum members can help you out, for a fee.... (i recon around 60 quid or more for a aditional licence for your VIN) so maybe dealer is not by far more expensive..

Good luck! Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Post #220089710th Jan 2021 10:29 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

An Autel AP200 will do key programming and currently costs £46. If you can find someone local who has one and has opted for landrover as their included vehicle manufacturer then it will work for you without any further expenditure.

Alternatively buy your own and get somebody to help you. (No car expertise needed). Works with a smart phone and will be invaluable in the future even if you do not work on your car yourself.

Replacement keys are available for close to £25 but need the blade to be cut or swopped from your old key. This can be done without cutting open your old key but does require some practical skill.

Lots of information on this site or ask for more details.

Cheapest option is as suggested a new case and battery but you will probably want a second key and the car will need programming for that.

Regarding your lack off posts, what colour is your car, the name of your cat/dog?. An information that you are happy to give, (1 item at a time), just to get your post count up.

Post #220092211th Jan 2021 2:45 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry, I see from your profile that your car is Indus silver.
Is it really a 2005 model as I always associate Zambezi silver with cars from that time and the 3.0L engine came out some years later. Maybe you have a replacement engine?.

Post #220092611th Jan 2021 3:04 am
Natsta84

Hi everyone,

Apologies. I literally searched the internet last night in a state of panic (us women are good at this) and stumbled across this forum in a google search, joined up and posted. I didn't realise how much dedication went into the site until this morning.

My husband is a shooting man so uses the D3 for this purpose, i recently sold my car and am using his as a temporary family car until we can get out and look for another in a safe environment. I have 2 small children, so when it locked them in the vehicle in the Supermarket Car Park without me so much as pressing the button, it terrified me. Needless to say now that it has happened once, i shall ensure i am prepared for every eventuality as suggested.

Ultimately i was just after some advice on how best to go about a) repairing the key (an understanding it myself) and b) what would be required to have a spare cut and programmed.

I appreciate the responses so far. Thank you, it has helped.

PS - The car is Silver, i just selected anything as the information was asked for at stage of joining and as stated i was in a slight state of panic.
I have no idea what shade of silver it is tbh.

we have 3 dogs... all working ones Smile

Post #220105311th Jan 2021 12:44 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's a member on here that repairs keys if its any help Thumbs Up

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-3-butt...50037.html

Post #220105911th Jan 2021 12:54 pm
Motolab

ronald.soak wrote:
This can be done without cutting open your old key but does require some practical skill.

You need the electronics for the new housing and to change the rechargeable battery it needs to be opened anyway.... as that opening up will damage the old casing, you need a new one.. simple as that...

New non original LR casings do have slightly other blade attachment, so it is difficult to switch the blade over to the new casing (ask me how i know Wink

ronald.soak wrote:

Regarding your lack off posts, what colour is your car, the name of your cat/dog?. An information that you are happy to give, (1 item at a time), just to get your post count up.

Why is that important? I understand the intentions but

Reply on the key topic of the mentioned key “man” and he will see it..
And react i presume..

@natsta84 Color of your motor is not important for key issue...

If your partner can handle and maintain a rifle/gun, he should be able to open up a plastic key housing i hope... 8)

Just order a replacement and battery from advanced Factors or otherwise.. let a new key cut , so you have a working set... @least big chance....
if you really are still at panic, go to the JLR dealer, for peace of mind...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #220106611th Jan 2021 1:03 pm
Natsta84

In response to the "If your partner can handle and maintain a rifle/gun, he should be able to open up a plastic key housing i hope...

He hasn't even attempted to as of yet as we was unsure whether it was an electrical fault with the car or an issue with just the key. Hense seeking advice on here.

I have PM'd the key man... thank you

Post #220108511th Jan 2021 1:44 pm
aja4x4

Sorry I have just reread your post it could be an electrical issue. Look for posts on the green wire splice.

Post #220108911th Jan 2021 1:52 pm
Natsta84

There has been an alert on the dash that says "key battery is low, place in ignition to charge"... However i have previously taken the car on long drives in an attempt to charge it and it doesn't appear to have worked. Then the incident happened which has triggered me to pull my finger out my back side and get get the issue sorted.
If this was an electrical fault would this alert come up? Originally i was unsure whether it was because the car hasn't been used as often as normal due to lockdown restrictions, working from home etc so the key hadn't had the opportunity to charge.

Thanks again for taking the time to help and advise me. Much apreciated.

Natalie

Post #220109811th Jan 2021 2:16 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

it probably is charging but the rechargeable battery is probably dead inside

also don't forget the car is designed to lock itself in certain circumstances (without you touching anything)

If for example you got out of the car at the supermarket and locked it, (with kids inside) and then thought "oh crap why did i do that?" then unlocked it again, after a period of time the car assumes you made a mistake unlocking it and locks itself again if you have not opened a door or the tail gate in that time. That is the car security working as it should.

regarding the other post I can think of several people that handle a gun that are far more dangerous trying to do practical things when armed with a plastic spoon let alone a screwdriver. Fire arms safety is not a measure of practical ability
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #220111511th Jan 2021 3:25 pm
aja4x4

Do you only have one key.
If not I would suggest you get another one asap keys can easily be added if you have a working key but it can be a big pain if your only key fails ir is lost.

Post #220113611th Jan 2021 4:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >