Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D4 Wheel with Tiptronic on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 47 <123 ... 383940 ... 454647>
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all

Is there anyone near Windsor that has converted their D3 S/Wheel to a heated D4 S/Wheel successfully that can help me to troubleshoot mine pls?

All works apart from the heated wheel. I'm using Colons kit by the way. Big Cry

Thanks

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #140852116th Jan 2015 2:03 am
ids

England 

@M3DPO

I think you need to take the paddle loom out and swap sides. The side with the big connection should be on the left hand side.

I had the prototype of this unit from Colin back in the day but just changed mine over to some of the production boards last week. the connectors into the paddles may not have a key. But the pins are offset in the plug so don't think you can put them in the wrong way.

From memory they have a locking tab as well so you will know if the cable is in properly.

Ids

Post #140854516th Jan 2015 8:05 am
Arif

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

luciogodoy wrote:
I'm using Colons kit by the way. Big Cry

Thanks

Lucio

You having a good clearout? Laughing Rolling with laughter
 Geoff: EGR's blanked, gearbox flushed, allisport hoses, BAS Remap, 3 flash indicator, D4 bluetooth, remote FBH
Uncle Ray: Spare wheel protector
Flack: Reverse camera
Allisport de-cat pipe, D4 19" alloys, D4 piano black steering wheel, piano black interior, colour coded trim, cubby fridge, full length roof rails 

Post #140855116th Jan 2015 8:17 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

luciogodoy wrote:
Hi all

Is there anyone near Windsor that has converted their D3 S/Wheel to a heated D4 S/Wheel successfully that can help me to troubleshoot mine pls?

All works apart from the heated wheel. I'm using Colons kit by the way. Big Cry

Thanks

Lucio

Where have you taken the power from for the heated wheel?- I found the heated part to be fairly straight foreword, more info is needed to assist you!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #140866716th Jan 2015 12:31 pm
M3DPO

ids wrote:
@M3DPO

I think you need to take the paddle loom out and swap sides. The side with the big connection should be on the left hand side.

I had the prototype of this unit from Colin back in the day but just changed mine over to some of the production boards last week. the connectors into the paddles may not have a key. But the pins are offset in the plug so don't think you can put them in the wrong way.

From memory they have a locking tab as well so you will know if the cable is in properly.

Ids

I took a gamble and turned the loom round thanks, it is now working great Thumbs Up
The dilemma I had was the loom and paddles were already fitted and for some unknown reason the loom was the wrong way round which meant there was no 4 pin socket within reach of the plug.
Then I was directed to the left switches and the 4 pin socket, this leaves me with the conundrum are the paddles the wrong way round? Is there a link cable missing? Is the loom the wrong way round? Is the loom and paddles the wrong way round? what happens if I turn the loom round and it is wrong? Shocked
The profile of the left socket and the loom plug did not match, but although it is not exactly the same it does fit and only one way round.

The most aggravating part was unplugging the loom from the gearbox, having worked on LR electric's and their method of fitting safety catches to plugs to stop them coming loose, which is very good compared to some other manufactures that don't seem to bother(Peugeot), I knew there must be a key to release it, it is just a matter of finding it.
Below are photos of the said plug to assist anyone doing this very worthwhile upgrade Very Happy .

This is the plug in the closed fitted position, note the locking bar is horizontal, the tab with three vertical lines on it has to be pressed in to release the bar which can then be pushed it down to the vertical position, this will release the plug.

This shows the bar half open, note the slight damage to the locking gear cause through trying to push the plug in without the bar fully open.

This is the position the bar must be in to refit the plug, pressed open until vertical and it clicks Thumbs Up .

This may seem trivial to more experienced members, but I ain't exactly inexperienced and it caused me a lot of unnecessary agro mainly due to inaccessibility Thumbs Up

Post #140869316th Jan 2015 1:31 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine didn't survive the removal - wish I'd had access to pics like these when I did mine.

It's now held in place by cable ties going round the base of the selector unit Laughing

Post #140870816th Jan 2015 1:55 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
for some unknown reason the loom was the wrong way round which meant there was no 4 pin socket within reach of the plug.

I though I had said that Whistle

Quote:
you should be able to see the 4 pin socket on the LHS switch pack. If your wiring does not reach this, then you have most likely got the wiring connected wrongly or got your paddle switches on the wrong sides

Glad you got there in the end though M3DPO and glad to hear you sussed this Common Amp locking tab out. Else I would have to start supplying Cable ties with the Paddle shift Kit.
Don't worry Maplecottage, your secret is safe Rolling with laughter

Glad to have that cleared that out of my system Arif Rolling with laughter

Post #140883016th Jan 2015 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ids

England 

@M3DPO

Well done. Had exactly the same issue. Mine only has one side of the tag and so has a cable tie around it too. Once you have it off, everyone has an 'ooooohhh I see now' moment.

Other thing is who in their right mind uses the same colour wires twice in the same connector? I know JLR didn't design the loom with us in mind but come on..... shocking.

Regardless its a great improvement. Its a shame we never got the paddles to co-operate in standard D mode but hey, still work great in S... I did try various gearbox software versions but sadly my gearbox fell apart towards the end of testing so I stopped.

Ids

Post #140914517th Jan 2015 8:15 am
pinchy

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Would this one work with all the extra bits from BBS? My wheel has got the sticky syndrome Sad

Link to more pics.
http://allegro.pl/kierownica-range-rover-s...l#imglayer

The airbag is a straight swap?

Thanks

Post #141756330th Jan 2015 10:45 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

Yes that the wheel you want Thumbs Up

Does look heated though Shocked
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #141756830th Jan 2015 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Heated switch is there, on the right below the voice command Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #141758030th Jan 2015 11:00 pm
M3DPO

Yes good un, complete with paddles but it is not heated, at least it does not have the heated switch.
Air bag straight swap Thumbs Up

Edit: apologies YES it is heated, picture 2 shows the switch Very Happy buy it you will not regret it paddles are fabulous Thumbs Up

Post #141759530th Jan 2015 11:20 pm
pinchy

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Thanks. I'll need to find the heating coil now Smile

Post #141761031st Jan 2015 12:04 am
Discokev27

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I may have missed it on this thread (and search function) but does anyone know if a Freelander 2 steering wheel will also fit on a D3? They look pretty similar. Cheers

Post #143399627th Feb 2015 10:30 am
M3DPO

No, not without a centre boss modification, not recommended. Look at the centre bosses and they are different, D4 splined, F2 Hexagon.

Post #143403427th Feb 2015 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 39 of 47 <123 ... 383940 ... 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >