Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 XS (MY2011): Juddering/Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
D4 XS (MY2011): Juddering/Vibration

I twice experienced a strong judder or vibration from the car yesterday. Not the sort you get from wheel balance or alignment, as it came and went and was felt throughout the whole of the car not just the steering wheel. No obvious catalyst for the event...one happened on an A Road the other a Motorway.

The first time was within a mile or so of setting of yesterday morning. A Road environment from home, slightly uphill and doing about 40-50 mph. The car suddenly started vibrating (the sort that makes your whole body shake) so I pulled over expecting a low/flat tyre...but no. Checked it all around and nothing to see. Started on my way again and no judder.

The second time was last night. Had been on the M5 South for a few minutes/miles doing about 70-75 and the judder started again so I thought I should pull over a the Michelwood Service. Just before I got there the judder stopped. So I tentatively carried on my to IKEA and no more juddering...there or back...and I had a hell of load in the car on the way back.

There was quite a toxic/stringent smell coming from the outside of the car when I got IKEA too (could've been the meatballs I suppose Rolling with laughter ). Not fuel-like, but the sort of smell that catches the back of your nose/throat.

I managed Glasgow and back at the weekend and no sign of any juddering throughout the 700 mile round trip.

Main dealer suggesting possible brake caliper for the judder and DPF for the smell.

Any other thoughts?
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #117683524th Oct 2013 9:30 am
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

EPB would give you the judders and a smell like burning rubber.
Mine stuck on and I got the vibration around 50mph mark.
Got it all replaced under warranty.

Post #117687124th Oct 2013 11:25 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

On my last D4 I had one occasion when I was driving along and suddenly felt a vibration through the whole car and when I pulled over I had the acrid smell also, when I restarted the vibration had gone but I dropped into the dealers anyway. They had a look over the car and had a drive but could find no faults so they said it was the DPF regenerating, never happened again with that car or the new D4 Confused
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #117687724th Oct 2013 11:45 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'm sure sticking EPB can give those symptoms. If it happens again, (carefully) check temperature of rear wheels as soon after the event as possible. If very hot then probably sticking EPB.

Post #117688024th Oct 2013 11:57 am
alfamale

Thanks for the feedback. Forgive my ignorance Whistle but would you not get the sensation of the car under-performing if the EPB was stuck on?
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #117691324th Oct 2013 1:16 pm
alfamale

@discoteca: I see you made it back to ownership then. The last we spoke in August you were looking at a Zermatt/Ebony D4 at a dealer...is that the one you went for?

Post #117691524th Oct 2013 1:18 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yup and very pleased I am with it too Thumbs Up

I think (other more experts will be along soon) only a very small amount of drag is required to create a lot of heat, it's the heat build up that then causes the smell and vibration.

Anyway easy way to rule it out, if it happens and one of the rear wheels isn't hot then you know that you need to look elsewhere for the cause.

Post #117694424th Oct 2013 2:31 pm
alfamale

Thumbs Up

Post #117695324th Oct 2013 2:47 pm
alfamale

Car's been in the main dealer for just over a day and they couldn't get it to judder...have upgraded the ECU software in the hope that will sort it.

Post #11972094th Dec 2013 11:30 am
al cope

England 

if its the EPB, then as well as the juddering, you come to a halt as the brakes are binding. Mine came to a juddering halt on the M40. Nearside rear wheel so hot it popped the centercap out. After cooling down, it would move, but I got it on the big green recovery truck and brought home. New EBP shoes and mechanism, plus bleed the cooked brake fluid out.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #11973954th Dec 2013 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >