DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

DasTek - Bad Experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mviviers

South Africa 
DasTek - Bad Experience

Hi Everyone,

I had a DasTek Unichip installed in my 2007 D3 earlier this year, at the time I thought a good idea because I was doing a lot of long distances to travel for work and wanted to reduce my overall fuel consumption.

The Unichip was fitted at the time with only 17000km’s on the clock.

In the beginning of August 08 with 47000km’s I had a complete engine failure after returning home from a short camping trip, the explanation from the LR dealer is that two of cylinders have over fueled and this caused major damage on the main bearings and other internal parts to the engine.

The resolve is that LRSA have refused to cover the repairs under the vehicle warranty due to the Dastek fitment and regards it as a modification.
LRSA also refuse to honor any further warranty on the vehicle due to this incident

It has now been nearly 2 months and my vehicle is still in the workshop, over and above I am now sitting with a bill of R62 000.00 for the repairs.

My advice to anyone who is considering to have one fitted or already have one installed, don’t or remove it altogether .

Regards’

Marcel Viviers

Post #34850323rd Sep 2008 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear this, bad luck Sad

Did you remove the chip before the dealer saw the car??

The plug in chips seem to always achieve power increases by over-fuelling, lesson to others I guess, steer well clear. If you want more power have a proper re-map done.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #34850723rd Sep 2008 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mviviers

South Africa 

Unfortuanetly not, at the time of the incident the engine was still running but with significant power loss, I did not realise the extent of the damages until it got checked out at the dealer.

Thx

Marcel

Post #34851423rd Sep 2008 11:33 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mvivers,
This very sad news, IMHO I would get DasTec involved, after all they do
advertise this in Car mag every month. And project them selves as a top
tuning company, with that said is there any way to prove that the two over
fueling injectors are with in correct operating spec Question Seconly if found in spec,
could LRSA back you in any way to claim from DasTec.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #34854123rd Sep 2008 12:49 pm
mviviers

South Africa 

Thanks for the input, I have just got of the phone with Steve's Auto Clinic who did the orignial installation, they have indicated that they want to proceed with an Investigation as to the root cause.

Hopefully they will be able to get some awnsers soon!

Thx

Marcel

Post #34854723rd Sep 2008 1:16 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

That is a really bad experience. Big Cry

As far as I have heard, SAC have some kind of insurance that they can sell you for exactly this eventuality. Did you investigate whether you had insurance or not?

As for the Dastek, I shouldn't comment, seeing as I may be seen as a competitor, and I don't like to be negative about the competition.
What I have heard is that there are a lot of products out there that don't have a "fail-safe" mode, which means that if the plug-in unit malfunctions, the ECU will continue to operate, which could potentially cause problems like you seem to have experienced.

I think, however, that SAC's approach is correct - ie. to investigate further - it is very convenient for LR to place blame on a mod-chip. Main bearing failure from overfueling doesn't sound right to me. You need to get more information.

Post #34953625th Sep 2008 10:09 am
mviviers

South Africa 
Finding from SAC\Dastek

Hi I am posting the result of the findings made by representatives from SAC and Dastek

Upon inspection of motor, these are our founding’s;
1. Upon inspection, the cylinder heads where removed, engine block and sump removed, pistons still in block. New motor was already in vehicle being assembled.
2. It is evident that one piston is damaged due to over fueling on that specific cylinder. Wear is evident on both head and cylinder with piston.
3. The other 5 cylinders show no sign of over fueling, thus eliminating the possibility of engine management controlled over fueling. .
4. The engine failure is as a result of injector failure on the damaged cylinder.
5. Should the problem have been as a result of over fueling from the management system, all pistons would be damaged and signs of over fueling would be visible on all pistons, cylinders and both cylinder heads. As the system is common rail, all 6 injectors would have over fuelled if it where a management problem.
6. The damaged bearings and crank are due to oil starvation leading to excessive friction sub sequential to the piston being burnt away, resulting in compression loss and oil being burnt through the valves. This is evident pertaining to the valves on the corresponding worn cylinder and piston. .
7. At the time of the inspection, there was no oil sample taken, no diesel sample taken and no test result available on the injector pertaining to the cylinder in question.

The Saga continues.........................

Post #3528131st Oct 2008 4:12 pm
JMC

Scotland 

At first reading, it looks like a single injector failure has caused the problem, but given the fact that a Dastek box was there, this allows LR to absolve themselves of a warranty claim. Neutral
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #3528321st Oct 2008 5:09 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Finding from SAC\Dastek

I can only see one way to link this problem:

mviviers wrote:
2. It is evident that one piston is damaged due to over fueling on that specific cylinder. Wear is evident on both head and cylinder with piston.

...and this one

mviviers wrote:
6. The damaged bearings and crank are due to oil starvation leading to excessive friction sub sequential

Note excess torque as you might expect from over-fuelling might cause crank and or bearing failure but they are quite specific in blaming oil starvation.

I would also question whether the root cause is the piston/compression failure leading to engine oil being burnt in that one cylinder which could give rise to the "overfuelling" issue on that cylinder only. If that is possible then the overfuelling has not been from diesel via the injector but from engine lubrication oil from the sump. The alternative is that your engine had two, both potentially fatal problems at the same time....

In that scenario the logical sequence would be low oil pressure to the main bearings affected, the conrod big end (s) affected and the conrod oil spray ports (that spray oil onto the cylinder wall of the affected cylinder). The piston then overheats and suffers ring failure leading to compression loss. The loss of compression cause engine oil to pass into the combustion chamber and causes overfuelling on that cylinder.

I would make sure the oil ways in the block and crank are examined very carefully for a blockage in the oilways feeding the crank and bearings
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3528391st Oct 2008 5:19 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

@Baben. Sell some Alientech Powergate R boxes http://www.lossweb.com/alientech/index.php...;Itemid=27 rebadged for Torq Tune. They allow you to analyse customer maps and supply Torq Tune remaps remotely per email. At lest it would provide an alternative to these potentially dangerous tuning boxes.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3528411st Oct 2008 5:25 pm
Baben

Dick, the alien stuff is very nice - basically you get the benefits of the remap in a box. Whats the price though?

Post #3530261st Oct 2008 10:43 pm
mviviers

South Africa 
LRSA Ignorance

I now have had two independent technical reports done by different investigators, all with the outcome that the root cause is injector failure...

Based on this, LRSA said they will give me feedback as to their position on this and now for the last 2 weeks they are simply ignoring me by not responding to my e-mails and the customer service centre only indicates that a regional technical manager will get back to me, WHEN I ASK?

I feel great knowing that LRSA does not care!!!!!

Marcel

Post #35951114th Oct 2008 9:13 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
Dick, the alien stuff is very nice - basically you get the benefits of the remap in a box. Whats the price though?

The console costs €300 in germany which is just used for down/uploading remap files. Once the remap is uploaded, console is removed, job done.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #35998514th Oct 2008 10:20 pm
Baben

mmm, sounds a bit iffy

do the guys behind this device know about D3's?

Post #36018315th Oct 2008 1:44 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The device has nothing to do with the D3 as it is. It's a generic ECU reader/writer for almost any vehicle and it has to be said that it's pretty bulletproof in use.

The re-maps are done by a tuning supplier and are nothing to do with the manufacturers of the AlienTech box.

As you rightfully say, the key here is the tuner that modifies the maps. If you choose one that has experience with the TDV6 engine in the D3 then you should be ok.

I think the 300 EUR price was an offer based upon AlienTech selling the device very cheaply during the first couple of months via the distribution channel. This has now finished, so I would expect the price to have gone up a fair bit.

I paid 395 GBP for mine back in August with superb results. The retail price has now gone up to 475 GBP although some suppliers (as always) will be cheaper and others more expensive. In the same was that some suppliers will provide a quality/safe tune and others possibly won't.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #36030015th Oct 2008 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >