Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Disco 4 65 Plate External Temperature sensor issues.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 40 of 42 <123 ... 39 404142>
leeburn

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This thread has had a lot of legs but last post in September 2017 I see.

I’ve just bought a 2016 HSW luxury and discovered I’m also in the same situation as many on here.
3degrees higher on the temp display and coolish air out of the vents until it’s set to 28 degrees or hi on auto.

Did JLR ever get a fix for this. I was given a 3 month warranty from the dealer I bought from as out of manufactures warranty, so would like to get it sorted soon if it is possible to fix.

Cheers

Post #20576101st Jun 2019 5:47 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

LR provided a fix to the dealer for the external temperature correction.

It took about 20 minutes for them to update the software Thumbs Up

Post #20576171st Jun 2019 5:52 pm
jdhx

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Similar story here, but it only got a bit better. Don't expect too much.

I now drive a Volvo XC60, with effective heating and fantastic surround cameras, to name the worst of the D4's woes.
 Volvo XC60 - does all that the D4 should have done
Discovery HSE MY16 (good apart from the heating), now sold
Audi TT Roadster (wow)
MGB Roadster (owned since 1992)
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE MY08
Saab 9-5 Aero 2002 (gone but not forgotten) 

Post #20576361st Jun 2019 7:06 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Had my software updated foc by LR a couple of weeks ago as I shown them the tech bulliten but cant find it right now.

Pat at Gap can also do it via a download to a IID tool (£25 add on)

Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #20577882nd Jun 2019 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeburn

So I had the car in a authorised LR service centre and when I picked it up I was told they cleaned a sensor and uploaded a new file, when I asked if it had the desired effect they said its still reading high but its the same as another range rover they checked it against. Tried to charge me £50 but no change to the temp sensor reading.

So I pushed them a bit more and directed them (a second time) to the exact bulletin on this forum that was posted. They took the car back in to the workshop and 10 minutes later said they had done another software download. (Sorry sir, the bullitin was in 'engine management not AIRCON)

Result is that the car tempurate now looks better, was reading 1degree higher than met office forcast whereas had consistantly been 3 to 4 degrees higher.

Its funny that that when I mentioned this issue and mentioned the bulletin showing how to fix when dropping off the car, they seemed to know about it being a problem but did there own thing anyway (clean sensor etc). When I wasnt happy that they tried to charge me £50 for not fixing the problem and showed them the exact LRPB again they decided to try that and it worked. Frustrating but hopefully now sorted.

Post #206107214th Jun 2019 8:50 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

For clarity.
The external temp indicator fault (+3 degrees) and the issue with cabin temp are two different issues.
As has been stated, although I haven’t suffered it myself, I believe LR have a fix for the external temp indicator. This is important as I believe it affects when the car will turn heated screens and mirrors and fuel burning heater (??) on. Mine compares exactly with the temp reading on another non LR car.

The internal cabin temp issue is under HVAC on this forum and, despite many attempts by LR in various reports on here ( new insulating foam around sensor etc etc) , there doesn’t seem to be a fix, although there are reports of improvements and heater settings that help a bit. LR simply state it is working to design.

Hope that helps with any approaches to dealers for resolution.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #206146616th Jun 2019 7:16 am
leeburn

Yes despite me telling the service centre that my issue was mainly with the external temp reading they only looked at the Hvac issue (sorry not AIRCON as mentioned in last post). They took the car away again once they found (or I told them) the correct technical bulletin to refer to. LTB00908 2nd Mar 2016.

I guess what I’m saying is that the guys at the service centres who can repair the issue are possibly likely not to know about it or even care that much if it’s fixed or not. You have to walk them through it and tell them exactly what bulletin to look at. If you go to get this sorted on your 16 car (if it is an issue). Print out the technical bulletin and take it with you, it may save some time and frustration.

Post #206147316th Jun 2019 8:36 am
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well, the joy of our new (to us) 65 HSE Luxury is waning a little as it seems it has both of the issues mentioned on this long (and informative) thread. Car was freezing internally, and showing a very optimistic external temp late this afternoon.

It is just about due it’s second service, so I’ll be pointing Hatfields in Liverpool directly to the two TSB’s mentioned here. (And am I imagining it, or was there a similar TSB for the D3 and the foam around the internal temp sensor?)

As the car is now out of LR warranty, anyone know where I stand in terms of paying for the fixes if they haven’t already been applied? Would prefer not to have to go through my brand new, non-LR warranty just days into ownership!
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #21099091st Jan 2020 7:55 pm
leeburn

Hi Gareth,

As my post says I had the fixes made and the bill was around £50.
Had just bought the car earlier that month so phoned the dealer and they paid the service centre direct.

It shouldnt be that expensive to pay for it yourself.

Good Luck but take a print of the Product Service Bulletin with you and hand it to them. It'll save time and frustration.

Post #21108365th Jan 2020 11:55 am
wizbongre

Thanks for the info leeburn - it’s booked in for this week and I’ll be calling the dealer in advance to get them prepped. I’ve already messaged them stating the two TSB’s needed. Thumbs Up
 Cheers,

Gareth

Post #21109405th Jan 2020 8:34 pm
wizbongre

Well, it went in yesterday and I picked it up this evening...

The dealer were surprisingly amenable to my advice on which specific TSB's the car needed, and thankfully applied them with no extra charge (I was already paying a bl00dy fortune for a 4 year service mind.)

However... Been out testing tonight after picking it up and neither the external temp or internal heating appears to be any different. It's pretty cold out where I am, all weather apps tell me its 6-7degrees, yet the car is showing a solid 10-11. Setting the climate to 23 started off promising but it was soon back to blowing lukewarm air and the car getting steadily colder. Wonderful.

Guess I'll be back on to them tomorrow to question what they actually did.
 Cheers,

Gareth

Post #21116058th Jan 2020 8:50 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Had a really good chat with a main dealer service manager about this today as my 'new to me' D4 HSE Lux is exhibiting all the symptoms discussed in this thread.

There is no record of either TSB being carried out on my car, so he went through both in detail.

LTB00963 to sort the HVAC needing to be turned up high.
My car isn't too bad but he explained that it's the same issue as the D3, and LRs fix is to supply and fit a foam sock over the sensor. He showed me the images on the TSB and the difference between the D4 and D3 is that the fan drawing in the air is at the bottom not the top.
At his suggestion I'm going to try cleaning out the fan and little air vent before adding a little sock of my own design.

LTB00908 to sort the high reading of the Ambient air temp has now been withdrawn as a TSB.
My car does show all the signs of this.
This morning at @05.30hrs I had ice on all the windows and wing mirrors, but the Ambient temp indicator showed 6 deg.

He suggested I pop the glass out of the passenger wing mirror to access the temp sender, just to check there is nothing that looks like corrosion or a build up of debris inside the mirror, but has said I'll need to drop it in for a 1/2hr software update which is what the actual TSB was.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #21193657th Feb 2020 8:59 pm
wizbongre

Thanks for that, Nasher.

I'd be interested to see how you get on fashioning your sock - knitting or crocheting?! But seriously, I'll have to pull the vent on our "new to us" D4 HSE Lux and see if it has a sock on or not. Supposedly the TSB was applied last month but ours still gets colder on longer journeys.

Interesting you've been told the ambient temp TSB has been withdrawn. Is there a replacement? I supposedly had it applied to my car only a matter of weeks ago - however, it hasn't made a difference and just t'other day whilst scraping frost off the car it was telling me it was a balmy 5 degrees.

Co-incidentally I need to strip our passenger mirror as it has been damaged and there is moisture in the indicator. I may find something wrong with the temp sensor at the same time.

Please do let us know if/when you take it in for the updated TSB, as I'll likely need to follow up with my local dealer too. Thumbs Up
 Cheers,

Gareth

Post #212020511th Feb 2020 10:23 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Unfortunately it will be a couple of weeks before I can get the car to the Dealer.

Although the TSB had been withdrawn there was no problem with them carrying it out.
I'd imagine it's got something to do with a financial contribution by LR to the dealer for the work to be carried out if it's stil open.

He said they'd have to charge me a minimum 1/2hr charge but it would take 5 mins.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #212021411th Feb 2020 10:44 am
Disco_driver

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

So I've noticed this now on my (newish to me) D4, 16 plate. I had thought it felt a bit colder than what the car was reading, but hadn't really thought much of it.

Well last night we had a frost here, noticed when leaving work that it felt bitter, but the car was reading 6c. One of my colleagues BMWs was reading 3 with the frost symbol illuminated. Interestingly another colleagues Isuzu D-Max read the same as the D4.

I did a shop for my parents so by the time I got home it was around 2100, and the project car on my drive had frosted over but the Disco was saying 4c.

I'm guessing the external TSB hasn't been carried out, and was wondering what peoples experiences outside of warranty have been? Annoyingly the car had been serviced by a main dealer 1000 miles before I bought it, and has been serviced there for it's life, but this garage isn't local to me.

I don't however have any issues with heating, that feels okay and having done a few long trips recently, I think I'm covered there.

Joe Big Cry

Post #218826720th Nov 2020 9:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 40 of 42 <123 ... 39 404142>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >