Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Discovery 4 MY13 HSE - Tapping / Ticking engine noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
patersp

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just got back from the dealers. The mechanic had a listen and straight away said it's probably the lash adjuster for the exhaust cam (think that's what he said). It's going in on 11th July to have the work done under warranty - quite a big job apparently according to the mechanic. Nice result in the end Very Happy

Thumbs up to the dealership (Lancaster Tonbridge) for the way it has been handled. Makes you feel confident knowing you can rely on their after service. No quibbles and they couldn't have done more to help once I had reported the problem.

Post #166591511th Jun 2016 1:24 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Weirdly that second video I can hardly hear it at all.

The good thing is the mech heard it and its getting fixed foc Thumbs Up

Post #166608611th Jun 2016 8:10 pm
Chris b

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Interesting! Ours sound the same, but only when warmed up. It has been back a couple of times as found it embarrasing for it to sound like a CVH and the dealer could not find an issue, just said it was normal Laughing
 D4 XS Fuji white, leccy seats, armrests, dog guard, camera, rse, basically a HSE but without sunroofs Smile
Gone Sad my beloved D2 ES "Tara", niagra grey, DVD, General Grabber AT2s, pro sport wheels, facelift "A" bar, oasis side steps, dog guard, de-egr'd. 

Post #166949218th Jun 2016 7:46 pm
patersp

Once I get it back with a detailed description of what they do I'll put it on here. It may help your dealer to fix it.

Post #166950418th Jun 2016 8:04 pm
jamieroxy

A lot of the 2.7s make that noise aswell??

Post #166957818th Jun 2016 10:49 pm
patersp

Ok, the Disco went in on Monday and I had a call from the service department to say they had spoken to Land Rover and they think it might be the 'cam follower' but it will require a strip down of half the engine. Fine by me as long as as it's fixed. Now for the interesting part..... Received a call this morning to say that we will need to foot the £2.5k bill if they strip it down and don't find a fault! So much for having an approved 2 year warranty. I have gone straight back and told them the engineer must have thought there is a fault somewhere otherwise he would have told us it was normal and not to book it in. Have also told them we certainly won't be paying £2.5k for the investigative work! What's the point of a warranty if the customer has to foot the bill to find where the problem is? What would happen if they had to look in 3 or 4 different places? The customer has to pay for the work on the three places where the fault wasn't?? Maybe I'm overreacting a bit in the heat of the moment but I think this is ludicrous.

Post #168028313th Jul 2016 11:33 am
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Drop a PM to LR Customer Services, contacts in the dedicated section on here. Sounds like they they need to intervene. Thumbs Up

Post #168028713th Jul 2016 12:08 pm
Dave T

England 

patersp wrote:
Thumbs up to the dealership (Lancaster Tonbridge) for the way it has been handled. Makes you feel confident knowing you can rely on their after service. No quibbles and they couldn't have done more to help once I had reported the problem.

That sounds like the "things you wouldn't hear at ........." Section of Mock the Week. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Unfortunately from my experience, dealers (maybe a bit of a generalisation but......) are fine when it's something normal, but when something is a little unusual they start struggling.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #168029413th Jul 2016 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
patersp

Just had a call from the dealer to say that as I have only had the car for very short period of time then they will foot the bill if required. I had previously emailed the sales manager to vent my anger so not sure if this helped but got there in the end.

Thanks for the advice Nick H. I would've done what you said if I had no joy from the dealer.

Dave T - Does sound a bit corny reading that quote back to myself! I'll wait to see what happens with the actual fault but dealerships prove their worth when there are problems / complaints and they seem to be handling this one well.

P.S. Whilst it's in I've also raised the throttle response issue and quoted bulletin LTB00369v2 (Vehicle Hesitation When Accelerating From Low Speed). Love this forum! Thumbs Up

Post #168033413th Jul 2016 2:30 pm
patersp

Update from the dealer - they have tracked the noise down to the tappets so they are replacing these along with the timing belt and tensioner under the warranty. Fun and games.

Post #168103915th Jul 2016 10:14 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

New tappets on a 2013 car? Shocked

Was the incorrect oil specification used previously, or something?

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #168107915th Jul 2016 12:56 pm
patersp

I know, a bit worrying Confused

Haven't spoken to the technician yet to find out what would/could have caused it.

Post #168108015th Jul 2016 1:06 pm
patersp

Update. Picked up the Disco yesterday afternoon and the engine runs like a dream now. As it should sound Smile

Also had the new brake switch fitted to try and resolve the hesitation issue. Haven't driven it enough to see if this helps but will update if I notice any difference.

Had a chat with the technician regarding the tappets and he said that in the 15 years he has been an LR tech he has never come across this and said it was a rogue fault and I was just unfortunate. No sign of failure, leaks etc. anywhere.

At the end of the day it was all covered by warranty so I'm a happy bunny. I've attached pictures of the invoice to show what work was actually carried out. It may come in useful to somebody else at some point in the future.

Post #168309121st Jul 2016 2:27 pm
ajscheid

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Another tapping noise issue

Hi and sorry for high jacking this thread but I also have a tapping noise issue since a few days.
My wife made this video as I am presently overseas. She is quite certain that the noise is related to the fan which could be possible based on the frequency....The noise also disappears at times and the comes back...
Any ideas what else that could be; I am a bit puzzled.....

Thanks and cheers,

Antonius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39nwNyD7Uo&feature=share

Post #16893337th Aug 2016 10:02 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Discovery 4 MY13 HSE - Tapping / Ticking engine noise

patersp wrote:
Hi All. Have just joined the Disco club - a proud owner of a MY13 Disco 4 HSE Smile

One quick question, and I could be being completely paranoid here..... After driving round with the windows down yesterday, I noticed quite a loud tapping or ticking noise from the engine, especially so when passing parked cars - seems to amplify the noise. I've taken a video (below) and sent it to the dealer (Land Rover) for their advice and they think it's normal. I'm taking it back to them on Saturday for them to have a proper listen (and have the 2 year used car warranty so not overly worried) but was wondering if anybody here has the same noise or whether somebody knows what is causing it. It's probably just a normal noise for a diesel engine but once you pick up on a noise it's all you can hear!

Anyway, here's the video:

Thanks all !

Patersp, when the engine was cold, the noise was present?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #17137411st Oct 2016 12:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >