DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Height sensor anomaly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shamrock

Ireland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Height sensor anomaly

Hi guys !
First problem for me on the EAS today...
As I was working on the car for something else (replacing the third stop light), I notice that my car is leaning on the right side. Looking closer and measuring each height, it appears that my left rear wheel is about 50 mm too high.
I play with EAS to go up and down but nothing changes. I take the IIDtool :
- Searched for faults. No fault.
- Lowered down to bumpers then go back to normal height. Problem still there.
- Proceed a calibration, problem still there. Made a second time, no change.
- Checked the sensors voltage. All supplies are 4.96 V but there is an anomaly on the measured voltage. Three wheels are 0.0750 V except the faulty one that is 3.08 V !
Is it possible that such an anomaly could make no fault on the tool ?
It's like the problem could be mechanical, like something stuck somewhere in the suspension or sensor... I will take a look tomorrow, now it's too dark.
Any idea or someone who had that kind of problem ?
Thanks a lot.

Post #232459329th Jan 2023 7:37 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Is the ground OK? What happens if you disconnect the linkage and move through the movement range - does the voltage change smoothly? Has the sensor been changed?

Post #232459529th Jan 2023 7:44 pm
Shamrock

The sensor has never been changed (by me). I've bought the car 10 months ago, it is now 190 000 Km.
The last time I used the car, I went in a bad road with pot holes full of muddy water (not the singer Razz ). As I said, I wait tomorrow to look under the car it seem to be the first thing to do...

Post #232460029th Jan 2023 7:54 pm
Shamrock

This morning, I've look at the sensor, that looks quite normal (mechanically). I didn't have time to remove the wheel for necessary extended verifications (electric). Nevertheless, as I've put a trolling jack under the chassis to be sure the car don't go down when I put my head over the wheel, at the moment the jack started to slightly lift the car, I heard a noise like a valve opening and air going out. From this moment, the rear left height seems to be back to normal.
I didn't search further for the moment, but I'm afraid that there could be a problem with the compressor, because it says too much often "temperature too high, wait for cooling down".
I have heavy difficulties to proceed a calibration, as the left front wheel doesn't want to go up when pressing the arrow on tool.
I'm quite sure that this car was only used on road and the EAS was not frequently activated neither maintained.
I think I can plan some works on it in the future... Sad

Post #232471130th Jan 2023 7:01 pm
Shamrock

As I expected, the sensor was not faulty. I wasted time to replace it with one bought on eBay, that failed after only 45 days Big Cry
After having tested both on bench with an external supply (to avoid any other "in-car" problem, like on the wiring), the older one worked fine as the new one gave a 0 V signal whatever the position. Still waiting for the refund from the bad seller...
After this wrong way, I've replaced my old poor Hitachi compressor with a brand new AMK type, coming with bracket and covers that are not supplied for Hitachi. Also replaced the central valve block, because the old compressor was sending desiccant dust in the circuit.
Now, I want to replace the rear valve block... when I'll find a way to disconnect the pipes on its back side. Very appreciated if anyone has an advice about the best way to do (by the spare wheel place or by the off side behind rear left wheel). I've seen the two ways on YouTube but that's not clear for me.

Post #233163829th Mar 2023 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >