Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Dreaming of what car next after D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting, didn’t realise that about the 2nd row in the FFRR, that isn’t great is it!

Is the D5 the same - ie no flat load floor all the way through with the 2nd row down?

The late D4 option with a warranty that covers the engine properly is starting to sound more and more appealing.

When I was reading about weights yesterday of the Defender, I think I stumbled across something saying that the D4 is lighter than the D3 - is that right?

Post #222465515th Apr 2021 6:03 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

From DG (so it must be right)

"The D3's kerb weight is 2708 kg and the GVW is specced at 3230 kg max.

The D4's kerb weight 2583 kg and the GVW is 3240kg"

So the D4 is lighter by 125kg and you can put slightly more in it... (10kg)
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #222465815th Apr 2021 6:15 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

itguy wrote:
Interesting, didn’t realise that about the 2nd row in the FFRR, that isn’t great is it!

Is the D5 the same - ie no flat load floor all the way through with the 2nd row down?

The late D4 option with a warranty that covers the engine properly is starting to sound more and more appealing.

When I was reading about weights yesterday of the Defender, I think I stumbled across something saying that the D4 is lighter than the D3 - is that right?

I almost purchased a really nice 2yr old TDV8 Vogue SE in Dec 19, but asked the sales guy to show me how to put the rear seats down and couldn't believe they don't go flat.

The D5 does go completely flat, like a D3/4, but on some trim levels you have to wait for it all to be done by electric motors whilst you stand like a lemon with your finger on the button.

I've said many times on the forum that I don't like the D5 through personal preference, and the shape of the rear entrance(tailgate) reduces what I can carry.

So for me a late D4 was my only option, but really struggled to find one.

It will have to be a pre-used new Defender for me next.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #222465915th Apr 2021 6:35 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

For me, there were too many compromises to go to a FFRR (load area and flat base), D5 too ugly, too expensive, rear seats and door worse than d4, New Defender handsome but expensive and again dont favour the rear door, so am staying with a d4. Euro 6 holds value better, but that means my very late euro 5 with 111,000 miles is only valued at 16k by WBAC. I have replaced the bushes, the belts, the batteries, checked the earth strap. I have seen nothing to suggest that you are more likely to have crankshaft problems with higher mileage. My depreciation is probably something like £2-3k per annum against £12-15k per annum on a new d5. So unless you need a euro 6, I would broaden your search for a well cared for d4.
 d4 HSE  
Post #222466315th Apr 2021 7:07 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The D5 won’t go properly flat, but it will get closer than the FFRR (the very high boot floor in the D5 means that the rear seat hinge can be mounted higher, making this possible), just as long as you are prepared to accept that it wasn’t designed to do this and an amount of damage to the seat covering and padding is inevitable.
It’s a shame really, as even my mother’s old Ford Anglia and Morris 1300 estates could manage a perfectly flat floor, without stressing rear seats or having strattospherically high boot floors - it’s not rocket science 🙄
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #222467115th Apr 2021 7:50 am
itguy

Why is it that car manufacturers just don’t do this kind of thing properly these days. Utterly ridiculous when they’ve done it before so well.

It really does feel in many ways that we have reached and gone past ‘peak car’. I used to be a proper petrolhead, have been lucky enough to have a huge range of cars of all types over the years and these days there really isn’t that much out there (new) that I can get really excited about.

Take the new Golf R for example. More power, check. Drives even better, probably. Interior trim quality - NOPE!!, feels like now built down to a price rather than built to what they can achieve. Such a shame.

Post #222467915th Apr 2021 8:15 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A full length hatchbag liner and large sheets of cardboard, have helped me when dealing with the problem of the seats in the FFRR not folding down flat. I’ve managed okay, but I knew full well it was going to be compromise.

There’s no question that the D3/4 is a far more versatile and practical vehicle than any current LR model or indeed any other vehicle full stop.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #222469215th Apr 2021 8:33 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

itguy wrote:
Why is it that car manufacturers just don’t do this kind of thing properly these days. Utterly ridiculous when they’ve done it before so well.

It really does feel in many ways that we have reached and gone past ‘peak car’. I used to be a proper petrolhead, have been lucky enough to have a huge range of cars of all types over the years and these days there really isn’t that much out there (new) that I can get really excited about.

Take the new Golf R for example. More power, check. Drives even better, probably. Interior trim quality - NOPE!!, feels like now built down to a price rather than built to what they can achieve. Such a shame.

I put this down to Mr Clarkson and his whingefest / criticism of the folding mechanism in the D3. This is the sort of nonsensense that gave us the rediculous “intellegent seat fold” App. People, like him, have driven easy seat folding for whimps, not effective seat folding for loading! 😤

Post #222469515th Apr 2021 8:42 am
Nasher

Red Merle wrote:
The D5 won’t go properly flat,🙄

I didn't know that, another nail in it's coffin for me then.

I'm assuming the new Defender does?

Perhaps I should be being a bit more precious about my D4 so I can keep it longer!

Nasher.
Post #222469615th Apr 2021 8:42 am
Nasher

I do actually have another option for a FFRR that I'm avoiding exploring for the hassle of it.

My D4 lives with the second row folded flat and not only a full length liner and Rubber boot mat, but a doubled up old canvas tarp lining the complete length.

This is partly because I always appear to need the extra length to carry something, and partly because our old Lab/German Shep X likes to be up close to us as he's not really that keen on the car for too long.
So his bed lives on top of the folded flat second row seats.

The second row haven't been in their raised position for probably a nearly a year now.
Strangely this weekend one of the 3 second row seats will be up as our Youngest son is coming with us to see our Eldest son for the day.

So I have actually considered the option of a FFRR with the rear seats removed and replaced with a fabricated flat platform. A-la Commercial D3/4.
But keep thinking of the hassle on the few occasions I need more than 2 seats.

Nasher.
Post #222469815th Apr 2021 8:54 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I see your problem.
This is where a D3 or D4 really excel.

Post #222469915th Apr 2021 9:00 am
Nasher

Should I admit that I also sleep in the back of the D4 on a blow up bed a few times a year when I'm away just one night and can't be bothered to throw a tent up.

As you say, the D3/4 is so good at this type of thing it's hard to see where we go for a newer vehicle, not just from LR but elsewhere.

Also considering I tow a 2.5Tn trailer across wet grassy fields, slippery slipways, and hard compacted gravel beaches.

I know a FFRR will do everything if only the back seats went flat.

Nasher.
Post #222470415th Apr 2021 9:15 am
itguy

Nasher wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

Nasher.

Sort of.

You flip the bottom of the seat up first so sits (uselessly) up behind the front seats, then the backs of the 2nd row fold down flat. This means you then have the seat bases of the 2nd row taking up space and load length for no reason. It’s like you’d get in a cheap hatchback!

They certainly DO NOT fold flat and down into the floor/footwell like the D3/D4.

Post #222471715th Apr 2021 9:45 am
Nasher

itguy wrote:
Sort of.

You flip the bottom of the seat up first so sits (uselessly) up behind the front seats, then the backs of the 2nd row fold down flat. This means you then have the seat bases of the 2nd row taking up space and load length for no reason. It’s like you’d get in a cheap hatchback!

They certainly DO NOT fold flat and down into the floor/footwell like the D3/D4.

Really Crying or Very sad

That's just cr*p.

So with the reduced length in the first place I'm hardly likely to get a blow up mattress in the back then, let alone anything more than @4' long.

Nasher.
Post #222472015th Apr 2021 10:04 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

itguy wrote:
Nasher wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

Nasher.

Sort of.

I used to have a lot of estate cars for serious load carrying duties and that's useful as a protective bulkhead against loads shifting in and emergency stop / crash. Some were more affective than others, but take a look at one of the world's best ever estate cars, the Citroen XM, to see how it should be done Thumbs Up

(in fact, it was the air suspension on the D4 that really clinched it for me in the first place, Having really missed the hydraulic suspension on the XM since I parted with the last in 2003 Big Cry )

Post #222473115th Apr 2021 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >