DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR - coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KostasA

Greece 
EGR - coolant

Hello gents,
i have a discovery 3 (TDV6) 2008, when bought EGRs were in a very bad condition, engine light was on and EGRs were both full of carbon. next step was to buy OEM new EGRs replace them and tap them on the pipe to the intake air of the engine. once this was done plugged the fault coder erase the fault and so far the engine is working without faults.
lately I've seen that the right EGR cooler is leaking coolant, hence very often low coolant warning. I've bypassed this one with a new pipe. tried to do the same on the left hand side but is very difficult to do due to luck of space Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
now the question that arises is, has any one bypassed the coolant side of the EGRs? if yes how? do you bypass only the EGR with extra hose or copper? OR do you bypass the whole upper part of the coolant circuit. as it looks there is a dedicated circuit for EGRs staring from a 'T' at the bottom run through the RH egr to the metallic pipe on the top and then to the LH EGR and then back to another (return) 'T' at the bottom.
what will happen if you just bypass it there and eliminate the whole upper network??????

any suggestions? advise?

thanks and happy new year to everyone.

Post #175593131st Dec 2016 8:45 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

May be relevant to you, but in the UK 2007onward EU4 Discoveries, there are mini thermostats in each of the EGR coolers.
If you just bypass the coolers then your engine will take longer to get to temperature and possibly not even get to correct temperature as the coolers bypass the main engine thermostat to the radiator.
If you run the engine that is not at the correct temperature then your fuel consumption may increase as more fuel is injected at lower temperatures.

Post #175593831st Dec 2016 9:19 am
KostasA

Greece 

Actually I've noticed that it takes longer to reach proper temperature (mid on the gauge). So the proper way is to replace them too with new and have the EGR tapped?

Post #175594231st Dec 2016 9:27 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you are keeping the EGRs, it is best to keep the EGR coolers connected because they cool the exhaust gases going into the PLASTIC inlet manifold.

Post #175594331st Dec 2016 9:32 am
KostasA

Greece 

EGR will stay blacked. My concern is what you said on proper cooling of the engine. Will it effect or just keep them bypassed (cooler)??

Post #175594631st Dec 2016 9:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >