Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Electric seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ytt105

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Electric seats

I've just fitted electric seats to my pov pack D3 05 model., they were from an 08 D3 I think, HSE.

My problem is that I only get about 1 seconds worth of travel before I have to push the switch again on the drivers seat. Passenger seat works fine.

I noticed from other posts that when this upgrade is performed most people seem to get 5 second bursts or more.

Anyone know why this is so and what I can do about it.

Anyway here is how I did it.

These links were invaluable.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Electric seat bypass memory??

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - From manual to Electric Seats

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Electric Seat Upgrade

Basically.

Both seats BOLT in perfectly.

The passenger one will connect up fine.
I had to remove the seat belt and seat belt pre-tensioner from my old seat and put the corresponding clips (blue and orange I think) into the new seat. Then just plug into the car plug and SWMBO will be happy!

However, the drivers side is not so easy.
Same thing with the seatbelt and pre-tensioner, but the power for the switches is not on the seat multiplug like it was on the passengers seat.

Power is on the grey/red multiplug on the seat.
I cut the big Brown/Green wire and the big Black wire.
I also cut the small White/Red wire and a small Black wire.

If you look on the wiring diagram that is in one of the links I posted you will see that these smaller wires are Electronic Earth and Power and the larger wires are the Main Earth and Power.

OK, connect the Electronic Earth and Main Earth together, (little Black and big Black), then connect it to the big Black wire from the car harness.

Now connect Electronic Power and Main Power together, (little White/Red and big Brown/Green), then connect them to big Brown/Green wire from car harness.

The drivers seat should now work.

So, now have much more comfortable seats, with armrests, in my pov pack Disco.

YAAA!

Post #14193333rd Feb 2015 8:12 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Perfect! Thank you very much for this post! Seats now work as you describe in detail how to do it.
Mine though like yours is 1 second bursts! Better than not moving at all.
I'm considering getting hold of a LHD passengers seat wire loom. About 100 quid but worth it if it works all 8 movements. 👍👍
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #14200194th Feb 2015 9:17 am
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Why are there only 1second bursts? Is it because of the power wire only feeds in pulses? Wouldnt it then be better to take a new powerlead from something else so that you dont have a timeframe on adjusting the seats?

Post #15569246th Nov 2015 12:09 pm
mohnwalk

Is it not possible to get the memorymodule to function without the correct harness/wire looms?

I see I have the fuses for electric seats in my glovebox, but not the connector under the seat. Is the connector hidden somewhere else?

If not possible to get the memory to work, why not get power and ground from somewhere else so you dont only have 1 second bursts?

Post #156101614th Nov 2015 12:43 pm
mohnwalk

Dickydisco wrote:
Perfect! Thank you very much for this post! Seats now work as you describe in detail how to do it.
Mine though like yours is 1 second bursts! Better than not moving at all.
I'm considering getting hold of a LHD passengers seat wire loom. About 100 quid but worth it if it works all 8 movements. 👍👍

Why do you only get 1 second burst of power? Where do you take the power lead from? If you take it from the second row 12v output (in the center console) wouldnt that give you movement for as long as you want?

Must be very annoying just having one second burst and no memory. Everytime SWAMBO and you drive the car u need to burst the seat back in position. Sounds awkward. Should be a better way to sort this out?

Post #15866773rd Jan 2016 5:49 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Thats why you have 2 keys and memory seats but if you are getting only 1 second burst of power i would say you have the wrong feed to it you should be able to hold the button and the motor should go until you let go and i believe the driver and passenger seat electrics are quite different Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #15866803rd Jan 2016 5:54 pm
mohnwalk

Yes they are very different because of the driver seat memory module.

But as other on this forum experience when fitting electric leather seats and changing from manual seats, they dont have the loom wich have the connector for the memory module. Thats why they need to get power to the seat in a different way. This is why they want to bypass the memory module.

But why ppl get only 1 second power burst would be nice to know.

Me myself could not live with a solution like this.. Wink

Post #15866883rd Jan 2016 6:04 pm
mohnwalk

geoffsnook wrote:
Thats why you have 2 keys and memory seats

When ppl fit the electric seat from a base model, they dont have the loom to get memory sorted. So no good with 2 keys Wink

Post #15866893rd Jan 2016 6:05 pm
vtecviffer

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Thanks so much. I followed your instructions and now have the 1 sec bursts.

Post #162293810th Mar 2016 10:01 am
col07

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the memory module does not get a reading from the seat or mirror potentiometers, it will cut out after 1 sec for the seats and 0.5 seconds for the mirrors. Land Rover call it Anti-Stall in the workshop manual.

Post #162319910th Mar 2016 7:00 pm
faigs

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hey guys, I followed the instructions exactly for the drivers seat and no luck. Not sure where I'm going wrong - the only thing I see in the instructions that is not definite is " I also cut the small white/red wire and a black wire." There are two small black ones going into the multiplug, I cut the one right beside the red/white. Is this correct? I soldered and taped, plugged the black multiplug back in (without bolting the seat back into the car or the belt back on) and there was no power to it. The passenger one works fine. The are two loose grey multi plugs on the seat but I presume I don't need these? Pulling my hair out at this stage! Had to put the old seat back to drive in the morning! Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance.

Post #163996713th Apr 2016 12:30 am
faigs

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Turns out the loose plugs were taken out of the memory module, just had another go today in daylight, saw where they plugged in and got it working first with a battery charger to the above wires. A few good solder joints followed by heat shrink wraps and tape and the seat is working exactly as described. Feels a lot more plush now and more comfy with armrests!

Post #164227918th Apr 2016 1:35 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ok gents! Think it's time to relight this thread! Have any of you managed to bypass the memory module yet! I'd like to have better movement?? Also as for the heated seats...... Will they work if I just put I the heater controls with the right button!?
Thanks
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #16499513rd May 2016 9:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >