Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine Remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Any tune will shorten the life of the engine. Pressure (thats how torque and power come about) and therefore temperature increases in the cylinderhead so there's more stress on materials. The fuel pressure pump and the turbo are also made to work harder. All within tolerance of course, but never the less a tuned engine will not go quite as far as a standard engine. Still, its not a significant difference and a good excuse to save up for the new D3 Smile

TT / TC / JE offer the most power and torque for a road going tune. Thinking of going to JE Germany to have a tune and an air filter. Will set me back £800 though ! Still I can back it up on me gizmo and reinstall the standard tune before going to the dealer 8)
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3201119th Jul 2008 9:55 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Germany?

Germany is not so far away from me either - when and where are you planning to go? I am very keen on some power increase for D3 as everytime I drive it after my Evo 8 I have problems getting used to its slow acceleration Smile

Anyway - before that - I will have to consider buying the programmer box (do you have the Powergate R?) to avoid the need to visit the tuner in case the dealer overwrites the tune. So I can reload it again.
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #32026710th Jul 2008 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

bellautos wrote:

the safest way is to have the car standard when it goes into the dealers.

Regards Pete

Pete, will the dealer not be able to see the number of ECU flashes on IDS? As I see it the danger with reloading stock tune on returning to the dealer is you are increasing the count of ECU flashes with every upload, not to mention the (admittedly small) risk of frying something by not apply the tune properly (interrupted power supply, car wakes up mid-flash, all the good things). With an increasing number of flashes the chance of a tech spotting this (or IDS recording it) increase? Confused

Or have I got something horribly wrong here Embarassed
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #32040710th Jul 2008 3:00 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Pete, will the dealer not be able to see the number of ECU flashes on IDS? As I see it the danger with reloading stock tune on returning to the dealer is you are increasing the count of ECU flashes with every upload, not to mention the (admittedly small) risk of frying something by not apply the tune properly (interrupted power supply, car wakes up mid-flash, all the good things). With an increasing number of flashes the chance of a tech spotting this (or IDS recording it) increase? Confused

Or have I got something horribly wrong here Embarassed

No the ecu flash counter is not touched Smile
You should have no interupted power supply as the tool is powerd direct from the OBD port.

Regards pete

Post #32041410th Jul 2008 3:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

dick dastardly wrote:
Any tune will shorten the life of the engine. Pressure (thats how torque and power come about) and therefore temperature increases in the cylinderhead so there's more stress on materials. The fuel pressure pump and the turbo are also made to work harder. All within tolerance of course, but never the less a tuned engine will not go quite as far as a standard engine.

I'm not sure I'd 100% agree with that.
If you drove everywhere flat out, then yes. In reality though I only rarely use the extra bhp & torque, overtaking etc. The vast majority of the time I drive the D3 as I would if it had a standard map, but the more efficient re-map allows me to use slightly less revs & I get more mpg than standard.
I'm no mechanic though so happy to be proved wrong Thumbs Up

Post #32042110th Jul 2008 3:30 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Pete Thumbs Up

Thanks for that, food for thought. How much did you say you re-flash kit and a single tune was? Something suitable for the auto that will help economy in twisty A & B-road driving (says the man picking up his new D3 in a couple of weeks Whistle )
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #32043810th Jul 2008 4:11 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi
The costing is here m8 in this thread.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22844.html

Regards Pete

Edited

Post #32044110th Jul 2008 4:15 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ta Thumbs Up
Post #32045410th Jul 2008 4:31 pm
dick dastardly

Its a good piece of kit ND. Open the drivers door to attach cable, climb in close door. Keep door closed and lights off whilst uploading, also make sure you have a good fully charged battery.

I only had trouble once with an interrupted upload due to door being open. Simply reloaded, no problem. Have uploaded many times to compare tune with orginal. Note: it takes about a week for the auto to adjust before you can really judge the difference.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #32058310th Jul 2008 9:54 pm
dick dastardly

Re: Germany?

evo8 wrote:
Germany is not so far away from me either - when and where are you planning to go? I am very keen on some power increase for D3 as everytime I drive it after my Evo 8 I have problems getting used to its slow acceleration Smile

Anyway - before that - I will have to consider buying the programmer box (do you have the Powergate R?) to avoid the need to visit the tuner in case the dealer overwrites the tune. So I can reload it again.

Still quite pleased with the +30bhp of my first tune, second not arrived yet Evil or Very Mad Needs about a week for auto to adjust so I dont think the JE or other tune will be until after the summer hols (September maybe) €1000 is a lot of dosh. Will probably do it with a new air filter (ITG). JE is near Munich. See http://jeengineering.de/JE/Discovery3_TdV6...gerung.htm

Yes it is the Powergate R.

Its more of a subtle feeling from the car. With 3 tons of car inc. passengers etc +50bhp wont make it like your evo 8 !

Would be good to coordinate this, if you can wait 'til september. Otherwise I might be able to persuade myself to go in 10-17 days or so when SWMBO is away Smile
Post #32059010th Jul 2008 10:07 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Re: Germany?

I am going to visit some very reputable tuners here - I have got some good references. Amongst BMW, Mercedes and other cars they have done couple of Disco 3 remaps - including dyno measurement. So I will investigate more - that option will be the most convenient for me as they are here in Bratislava.
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #32066311th Jul 2008 10:06 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I must admit I'm really interested in the idea of a remote remap and the benefits that the Powergate has (re-flash and read/reset DTC), but some things just haven't made much sense to me whilst reading the threads on here.....mainly the cost...

I don't want to start a flame war and I respect the site sponsors for sticking to the rules and not commenting on each other's services, but things just don't add up to me...I assume that as users, we are free to contrast and compare the various offers from each vendor (be it from a sponsor or external).

All of the below seem to be using the same (albeit customised) equipment - the Powergate R (non-PRO) that can accomodate 3 maps....STD / REMAP1 / REMAP2. Shipping costs are not included in the comparison.

-------
Evolve
-------
Costs: 624 GBP = 449 + 175 (special forum price)
Remaps: 1 included (2nd map not yet developed)

--------------------
Bell Auto Services
--------------------
Costs: 625 GBP = 425 + 200 (special forum price) *
Remaps: 1 included (no mention of second map)

----------------------------------
Mr Dastardly (from supplier XYZ)
----------------------------------
Costs: 300 GBP all included (no forum discount offered) **
Remaps: 2 included (2nd map not yet developed)

NOTES:
* Based upon price for Defender 2.4TDCI as no TDV6 price has been confirmed
** Original cost is 320 GBP including shipping to Switzerland (estimated at 20 GBP)

Although I understand that there will be arguments that supplier A has spent xxxx GBP on developing their maps whilst supplier B probably hasn't, it just seems too much of a difference to ignore.

Maybe Mr Dastardly is lacking 10bhp compared to the other maps (does anyone actually know how much power their map really gives anyway and have they ever compared it to anyone elses?), but with a second map to be included and for less than half the price something just doesn't sound right...let's also not forget that the sponsor's prices have been reduced to give forum members a good discount, whilst supplier XYZ is their full price.

Anyone got anything to add? Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #32067611th Jul 2008 10:45 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Having investigated buying into a tuning franchise a while back I know the "wholesale" costs of a lot of the ho-hum generic tunes out there (some not so generic but sold as such), and the chap Mr D is dealing with isn't leaving himself a whole lot of margin. Make that no margin. That said, I don't know the wholesale on the box itself but I don't think he'll be in business for long as he's going to have next to no contingency for product liability.....

Assuming he has any plans on covering faults..... Whistle
Post #32068311th Jul 2008 11:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

As an aside, the potential benefit to me of the self-flash approach is that my first choice for a tuner would involve one or both parties travelling a not inconsiderable distance, which really only makes sense for the tuner if he gets other clients in the area at the same time. If I get reflashed at the dealer, I potentially have a bit of a wait to see said tuner again. The perils of living in Dorset Rolling Eyes

So for me, the self-flash has a lot of things going for it, provided the support to build a new map continues if ever LR do something "odd" with the car rather than just reflashing to standard.
Post #32068711th Jul 2008 11:31 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ND - and you think Dorset is a problem... Laughing if I wan't a tune from someone who "knows" LR (and not just a "one chip fits all") then my closest is Matzker in Cologne - at well over 1,000 euro Shocked (and that's before all the fuel cost to get there and back).

So I'm definately now looking for a remote remap option. Suppose the good thing is my dealer has said that as long as he knows there is a remap, he will not overwrite it Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #32069011th Jul 2008 11:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >