Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting a Hydraulic Winch to the D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Fitting a Hydraulic Winch to the D3

I recently fitted a 12000 lb Hydraulic winch to my D3. Basically i just got fed up with all the hassle of electric winches and there associated twin batteries and split charge systems etc.
on several occasions whilst winching under heavy load i found my batteries going flat before the entire cable was wound in, now this doesn’t do the batteries any good and puts extra load on the charging system as well. If you really try hard you can easy stall an electric winch under load, then the current it draws is staggering. Another problem i found was the heat generated on the drum can damage synthetic winch cables; indeed the first layer of my old Plasma line was melted by the electric winch drum.

So i decided to try Hydraulics’. I figured it had to be a better option, after all, how many electric JCB's have you seen.
The Hydraulic winch is powered from the D3's power steering pump, this pump is more than able to do the job. I am not an expert on Hydraulics’ but apparently it is more to do with the amount of fluid it moves rather than it's pressure.
There is a Hydraulic valve block that connects into the steering pump high pressure pipe, this then controls the winch using electrically operated solenoids via a standard hand controller, I have interfaced a Lodar radio remote as well.

The winch is a Mile Marker H12 this is a proper 12000lb winch so powerful it has to be governed down to 4.7 Tonnes it is fitted with 30mts of 12mm Plasma line.
The winch has two speeds the fast one only really used for winding in the cable after winching.
One of the best bits about Hydraulic winches is they only draw 2amps from your batteries not 500.
When using them they are silent, no dramatic clunking and whirring. No heat is generated on the drum. They do not slow down under load, the pull is constant.

The only draw back (if you can call it that) I have found about this winch is that it is slow when winching about 1.5mtr per min, this is only the limitation of the pump.
If it was possible to fit a belt driven or PTO pump to the D3 then the sky would be the limit.
Slow it might be, but it would still be winding cable in at 1.5mts a min long after your batteries were flat.

Some people might say, yes but you have to have you engine running to winch, in my opinion anyone who doesn’t have there engine running while electric winching is asking for trouble.

All in all it has solved all the problems I had with winching, so I am a happy camper.
Just need to get stuck more now !!

Pics in Gallery.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Last edited by christyler on 31st Mar 2007 2:01 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13985316th Mar 2007 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The only thing that concerns me is the relatively small resovoir, therefore the heatsoak can be greater than power steering alone, there is already a cooling matrix for the power steering, do milemarker not suggest a bigger heat exchanger?
Other than that - Thumbs Up

Post #13986216th Mar 2007 11:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Chris, when we met on Saturday you mentioned the need to criss-cross plasma cable when spooling in as the side loads are so great if the cable pulls down through previously spooled line. As a bit of a winch beginner, how on earth do you manage this when winching yourself out of the mire?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #13986516th Mar 2007 11:04 pm
christyler

10forcash wrote:
do milemarker not suggest a bigger heat exchanger

Hi 10,

If you check out the pictures of the Hydraulic motor you will notice that it it's self is one big heatsink, the landrover one is still in circuit, and as you know usually when winching you are not using the steering.
Due to gearing the winch loads the pump about 75% less than the stering thus even when winching and locking the steering from side to side the load on the pump etc is only 25% more than steering alone. I am sure you know that the pump and fluid cooling system is more than rated for this duty.

Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.

Post #13987416th Mar 2007 11:13 pm
christyler

Cable Spooling

NoDo$h wrote:
you mentioned the need to criss-cross plasma cable when spooling in as the side loads are so great if the cable pulls down through previously spooled line. how on earth do you manage this when winching yourself out of the mire?

I agree it is hard, but if the cable was criss crossed on the drum in the first place, you only pull of enough for the job.
The main point is, that with plasma line it is best not to have it spooled neatly onto the winch drum like you would with steel.

Post #13987616th Mar 2007 11:17 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
Re: Fitting a Hydraulic Winch to the D3

christyler wrote:

Exactly how stuck do you want to get Chris. Whistle
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13987716th Mar 2007 11:18 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yer, understand the theory - just thinking back to all the hyd. systems I worked on as a planty all had big Censored off hyd resovoirs and heat exchangers - even Bomag 90's
sure it'll be fine but i'd run a loop along the chassis leg to be sure Wink

Post #13987816th Mar 2007 11:18 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

christyler wrote:
when winching and locking the steering from side to side

And that answers my bit.

I need to get myself on a winching course.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #13987916th Mar 2007 11:18 pm
christyler

Re: Fitting a Hydraulic Winch to the D3

AndrewS wrote:
christyler wrote:

Exactly how stuck do you want to get Chris. Whistle

as long as the mud dosent come in the windows !!!

Post #13988016th Mar 2007 11:19 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:

This can also be arranged Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13988116th Mar 2007 11:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Re: Cable Spooling

christyler wrote:
The main point is, that with plasma line it is best not to have it spooled neatly onto the winch drum like you would with steel.

Thumbs Up ::thumbing through google for winching courses::
Post #13988216th Mar 2007 11:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

AndrewS wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

This can also be arranged Thumbs Up

Yes please!
Post #13988416th Mar 2007 11:22 pm
christyler

Fluid Cooler

10forcash wrote:
i'd run a loop along the chassis leg to be sure Wink

good idea, it is early days yet, i am still testing. i plan to measure the fluid temp after a long drive. Then drag a 3 tonne load with the winch whilst locking the steering side to side, then measure the fluid temp again. this should be enough to assertain wheather i need to add a cooler or not.

It is actually a very simple job to add a bigger cooler, I recon an hour should do it, if needed.

Post #13988616th Mar 2007 11:24 pm
christyler

Winching Courses

NoDo$h wrote:
christyler wrote:

Thumbs Up ::thumbing through google for winching courses::

Check with 10FC, i think he is at that now, he might be able to steer you in the right direction. so to speak.

Post #13988916th Mar 2007 11:28 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Chris ...I partially saw the beastie in action when you were trying to pull the 110 out ...but as you're coming over to Boughrood...I take it you'll give us a proper demo ..yes?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13989016th Mar 2007 11:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >