Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Foot flat to the floor & it's crawling along!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Foot flat to the floor & it's crawling along!

Evening chaps

Oh joy another problem with Moneypit!

Last used it yesterday evening, jumped in it this evening, started fine from cold, selected drive hit the throttle & the revs just didn't pick up. My foot was flat to the floor & she's crawling along. Once we get to what feels like the turbo band she picks up speed. Stopped & tried it again, same result.

SWMBO has mentioned similar symptoms of on the odd occasion, but nothing to this degree. I've long thought she was getting slower pulling out of junctions. (Moneypit not SWMBO)

The brakes are all free & not binding, I checked the top intercooler hose the other day & it seems sound. I've run the IID tool this evening to check for faults & nothing unusual has popped up.

I was thinking EGR & a valve stuck open but as there are no codes to support this theory i'm not so sure now.

Anyone got any ideas before i take it to the Indy?

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #20064065th Dec 2018 8:50 pm
Danny4383

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine did this from cold the other day, been fine since though!

Post #20064105th Dec 2018 9:06 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Foot flat to the floor & it's crawling along!

Skagg wrote:
Evening chaps

Oh joy another problem with Moneypit!

Last used it yesterday evening, jumped in it this evening, started fine from cold, selected drive hit the throttle & the revs just didn't pick up. My foot was flat to the floor & she's crawling along. Once we get to what feels like the turbo band she picks up speed. Stopped & tried it again, same result.

SWMBO has mentioned similar symptoms of on the odd occasion, but nothing to this degree. I've long thought she was getting slower pulling out of junctions. (Moneypit not SWMBO)

The brakes are all free & not binding, I checked the top intercooler hose the other day & it seems sound. I've run the IID tool this evening to check for faults & nothing unusual has popped up.

I was thinking EGR & a valve stuck open but as there are no codes to support this theory i'm not so sure now.

Anyone got any ideas before i take it to the Indy?

Odd that you have no codes showing but as you say it has the hallmark of EGR issues. You might need to drive it a bit longer and see if the fault is logged. See if you have "pending faults" selected on your IID?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20064275th Dec 2018 9:50 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Just popped out again to pick up the lad from Scouts & checked again with pending faults selected. still nothing coming up.

Now it's warmed up a bit thing have improved. I took a couple of screen grabs from the IID tool looking at live values. One was at a steady 30MPH on the flat, the other sat idling. either were with the engine cold.

Not sure which is which side but the both appear to give even results at this stage. The nearside EGR was replaced last year so I know one of them at least should be giving correct values.

i presume i would ideally need to run the same test in the morning from cold to see if one of the valves is not performing correctly.

Anyone got any other ideas where to look to solve this problem? I'm presuming it's engine related rather than transmission as the rev's don't pick up?

This is at idle

This is at 30MPH

Post #20064415th Dec 2018 10:29 pm
sharkey964

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine did this about 3 weeks ago.
Blanked the EGR's & all good again. Very Happy
Marc

Post #20064545th Dec 2018 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skagg

So tried it again this morning from cold & it started & ran as it normally does. I took it for a short run around the block. Outside temp 11Deg

I ran the live data on the IID tool at the same time.

Link here

I'm not sure what i'm looking at but it does look to me like the EGR valve position 1 is a little more laggy in response to valve position 0

Is 0 NS & 1 OS?

Post #20064986th Dec 2018 10:12 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Quick fix to ascertain if it is egr is to disconnect the clamp on the convoluted pipe that runs into the intake plenum and put a 2p coin in the joint, refit the clamp. 50/50 you get the failed side first time.

I think your car might have one of the egr valves 'working' as in the motor is moving and sending the right signals back to the brain, but the valve itself is stuck open. I had a similar thing happen to my 58 reg D3 in France, and a 2p coin got me home, but the Check Engine light was lit on mine, so not 100% sure yours will be the same.

Easy to try though.

Post #20065326th Dec 2018 12:41 pm
sharkey964

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

But don't leave the coin in permenantly as the gasses will eventualy dissolve it & possibly cause damage.

Post #20065356th Dec 2018 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skagg

Thanks for the suggestion so far gent's

I believe if it is indeed the EGR's it will / should be the O/S one as the N/S was replaced last year by the main dealer. When the N/S was replaced it was obviously the route cause of the power loss & throw a fault code. This one is strange, other than low rev power loss there is no other obvious fault.

I'll try the 2p thing at the weekend if it ever stops raining! Presume this can be done on a EU4 engine?

I've booked it in provisionally with my Indy for the end of the month. A quick chat with him concluded he thought it would the EGR but also thought it strange there was no fault code or EML displayed.

I'm still trying to think wider & what else might cause similar symptoms but my limiteed knowledge isn't helping!

Post #20065446th Dec 2018 2:07 pm
PROFSR G

Agree with Gareth. As he says the motors seem to be working but a valve itself could be stuck. If this is the case, you will not get the EML illuminated as there is no interface on that part of the EGR!

So it appears the feedback from the motors is telling the ECU all is OK when in fact its obviously not.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20065516th Dec 2018 2:56 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Skagg do not use a 2p coin they have been known to disintegrate and cause more damage, just get a blanking kit and use them, I see its a My2007, mine is the same and I just blanked them off and did not get the EML light, it depends on how early your model is and what version of software it has on it.

You might get the EML light on or not, if it was me I would blank and patch it, I did mine many years ago and its been fine.
Its still cheaper than two new valves and fitting.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #20065546th Dec 2018 3:19 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I only used a 2p as a get me home option. Flack is correct, don't be tempted to leave it in.

Besides, I was in the underground car park of a hotel in a ski resort in France, and it was all I had.

Post #20066086th Dec 2018 6:07 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

+1 EGR valves

Censored of a job to do. But can be done

Post #20067137th Dec 2018 1:39 am
Skagg

Well as the consensus seems to be the EGR & shes running ok at the moment i'll plod on until the garage appointment on the 20th.

I've got a couple of 2 pence coins in the car all the time anyhow (I use them to remove / replace the cover for the tow bar electric hook ups) If it fails again & I need a temporary get me home fix I have one to hand.

I debated blanking & mapping last year when the N/S valve failed, but for one reason or another decided to have it replaced. I'll get this one replaced as well & hope that's the last one for my ownership at least. It's already on it's third pair at 136K!

Post #20067847th Dec 2018 12:03 pm
PROFSR G

You could try what this guy (karlosbu) did a few years back. It won't do for everybody but you might get lucky Very Happy

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/cleaned-wor...551d8f027f

I have used a similar method a couple of times as a temporary fix but using EGR cleaner instead of oil and the damn things are still working! Rolling Eyes
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20068297th Dec 2018 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >